on 16 October 2016
This book was a real treat to read, well written and with believable characters and storyline. It is, in the words of other reviews, entirely plausible. There is a decent depth to the story, without becoming bogged down in too much detail, or a heavy reliance on conflict, as some authors are prone to doing, yet this author still manages to portray the dangers - and subsequent actions - clearly enough to make the reader understand how threatened the 'good guys' are, and what they need to do in order to survive.

I read a lot, and have only recently become interested in dystopian/post-apocalyptic fiction, and I can quite honestly say that, as far as I'm concerned, this is one of the better books - and authors! - around. I'm really looking forward to reading more by A R Shaw.
on 22 March 2017
From the beginning, I thought the portrayal of Marcy and Macy was annoyingly young. The description of their adventures in driving was slow and ridiculous - what teen, 6 months to a year from getting their license, is so clueless they don't know P is for Park?! They seemed closer to 10. Sometimes I felt the writing sounded like a child's story in the same vein, especially in the first quarter of the book. It moved along though and I'd like to know what happens to Graham's little group of survivors.
on 8 September 2015
I found this book to be thought provoking and engaging. The characters all seemed credible and the plot-line, although depressing with its post-apocalyptic theme, was well constructed and well written. If the worst did happen and such a pandemic struck, then this is probably as close a picture of what things might be like in the aftermath, that you are likely to get. I imagine this being extremely popular with fans of this genre.
on 16 March 2015
Loved this book, a page turner from start to finish.
on 11 April 2015
Based on a friend's recommendation, I started the Graham's Resolution series by A. R. Shaw with the first volume titled The China Pandemic. It's a post-apocalyptic story of a group of people trying to survive a pandemic that has wiped out 98% of the world's population. I was thinking this would be interesting, but I didn't expect to get sucked in as much as I did by the characters and their interactions. I ended up caring for every one of the characters.

The virus started as a mutated bird flu virus that got out of control in China. It rapidly spread worldwide with no vaccine or way to stop it. Only two percent of the population showed immunity to the virus, but even then they still became carriers for anyone who hadn't been exposed yet.

The main character, Graham, has lost his entire family to the disease. As he's burying his father, a Korean lady who is near death brings her son to him, making him promise to take care of him. Graham has NO idea of how to raise a five year old that he doesn't know, but he doesn't see that he has much of a moral choice. His plan is to head up to his father's cabin as a refuge against predators and killers. Along the way, he picks up two teenage girls, an elderly man, and a woman around his age. This strange assortment of people have to figure out how to survive in a world that's completely foreign to them, as well as how to get along as a default family.

There are a few parts of the story where things are just a little too convenient in terms of finding what's needed, or how certain conflicts arise. Still, the characters and interactions were very real and likeable. I fought off sleep for the last couple of nights as I was trying to read "just one more chapter", and I decided to buy volumes 2 and 3 from Amazon since my library didn't have them. Very much looking to starting the next one this evening.

Disclosure:
Obtained From: Library
Payment: Borrowed
on 26 May 2017
Easy read could be a bit more detailed to make it so much more interesting, however good enough I am downloading next book in series.
on 10 November 2014
Just this minute finished it and i really enjoyed it. I'm just away to order the follow up and cant see the problem with the editing and other complaints, some folk take life and its little errors far to seriously
on 4 September 2016
I really wanted to like this book, but as I read more and more Zombie/Postapoc books, and I find myself becoming less and less patient with poor books, unfortunately I only managed to make it to 16% with this one.
The idea was OK, the writing wasn't too bad, but there were several small things which really grated with me. One was the names of the characters, this may seem like a small thing, but when the characters are named Heung-OK, Bang, and Macy and Marcy (twin girls), it makes it really hard to follow. I cant for the life of me understand the thought process behind this.
Secondly, the decision making of the characters was questionable at best. When you've got a perfectly good truck on your drive, but decide to take a 5 year old on a push bike instead (after already being attacked by a pack of dogs) doesn't seem too smart. I could see this book really anoying me with daft things happening.
Thirdly, the description of things seemed a bit off, for instance, the bit where the girls are rolling backwards in the truck, but slam forward when the brakes are slammed on. I get the impression that there would be a lot of things that don't make sense. Might be OK if you are easily pleased and in a good mood.
on 11 June 2015
The China Pandemic was a scary and gripping read for me. I couldn’t help wondering what I would do in the aftermath of a worldwide flu pandemic where only two percent of the population survived. How would I stay alive in a hostile environment among feral animals and dangerous survivors?

Shaw did a beautiful job creating her characters. They were believable and likable and so lifelike I felt connected to their emotions. She did an equally excellent job creating a thrilling plot that twisted and turned with very realistic problems. Knowing the story was not a fantasy or a science fiction – that it was grounded in something that could happen to us any day – was what made it so scary.

The powerful settings as the main characters move through the hostile urban areas in Washington State to a cabin in the Cascade Mountains, stay vivid in my mind. The ending left me hanging a bit, enough to hurry to get the next book in the series. I recommend this book for anyone who loves action thrillers!
on 2 April 2015
Apocalypse fiction in a simple, yet engaging story. As an avid reader, I have come across a lot worse, and very few that could equal, or even better this book. The ending seemed a little rushed, but, I guess this was intentional, because it left me wanting more, and rather unusally for me, I had to purchase the trilogy. How could I not make a recomendation!