on 17 July 2014
A recent firmware upgrade means that it now gives you your average speed between average speed cameras in motorway roadworks etc. It is worth getting for this alone.
Otherwise, it is a useful reminder as it shows your current speed and the limit on the road you are on. The battery is not great but I get about 6 hours out of mine.
The dash mount is rubbish - hence 4 stars and I would prefer the windscreen mount to be included in the box.
If you are travelling lots - particularly to new places then this will save your licence many many times over.
on 3 March 2014
I paid £150 for this product only to find out the subscription costs were about £60 per year,which was not really advertised prior to buying, really disappointed in that fact. I also disliked the way the road angel was to be secured to my dash, it was a very cheap pull off, sticky pad method, which could leave a mark on my dash and, once secured could not be re- positioned, very poor. I did have one run with the road angel and at every sign post that displayed a camera, the road angel warned of a camera van, which was not in the area, again a poor system as this could lead to alarm apathy, also found the battery drained quickly and really the cable would have to be plugged in all the time, which is unsightly. Overall did not rate this overly hyped product and had it sent back within 2 days,
on 2 March 2015
Total rubbish Worked for a short time then would not switch on. Had to go to all the trouble and expense of returning it. Looking at otherp eoples comments this is a recurring fault. I wont ever purchase from Road Angerl again, considering the costs involved this was a very bad buy.
on 2 July 2014
I have had this some months now and it works well.
There is a re-set facility if it stops for any reason. a tiny hole in the label. you need a pin to poke through the hole to re-set it.
Poor design.
But 90% OK
on 8 November 2015
I have owned pretty much every Road Angel ever, all the way back to the very original which pre-dates the "Classic". I have 2 cars, so have most recently owned a Professional Connected and a Vantage. I have had no issues with the Vantage but nothing but problems with the Professional Connected. The latter hangs all the time whilst driving which itself creates a hazard as you have to press/hold the power button for 20 seconds to get it to restart; it has been back and fro to Road Angel and they have never rectified the basic issue. So, I have given up on the Professional Connected, thrown it in the bin and bought the newest model, the Gem+.

Well. As it turns out, same software (pretty much) as the Professional Connected. I charged it up; purchased a 1yr subscription and put it in the car (with the power left on) waiting for it to register itself and download camera updates etc. 2 and a half days later, it has still not updated, tells me it is not registered etc. This is exactly how the Professional Connected behaved.

All in all a poorly executed piece of junk.Do not waste your money. Mine is on its way back to Amazon.
on 30 June 2016
Had mine since January...now going back to the manufacturer for the 3rd time for the same fault (wont charge up and keeps showing charging screen) Shame really as when it was working its a good piece of kit. Last chance for them but if honest time to ask for a full refund and find something else that does the job.
on 10 February 2014
Really helpful. This is a great little invention! It acts as a very useful reminder with its chirping going on in the background!
on 24 October 2014
Promised myself one of these for years so finally received this product and was immediately disappointed. To get the best out of it with up to date databases you need to pay around £70 a year for this service! Far more than comparable systems. The unit itself kept freezing which after a call to their customer services was sorted but still requires an occasional reset using a pin in the back. The information it gives is not much better than that provided by most modern sat navs. I've given it to my son and I have since bought a Snooper - much better and cheaper to update. Saying that it's OK as an entry level device but not for serious drivers.
on 7 December 2014
I have used Road Angel Gem and earlier models for some years. I bought the self-updating system in the hope that it would need frequent updates via a computer. This worked well for routine updates, but not for more detailed updates which needed to be downloaded and installed via a PC. Symantec/Norton antivirus software identified the download program to be virus-infected and would not allow its installation. Road Angel's solution? Turn off the antivirus program. Also, the cost of updating licences is pretty high considering the price of the device. I also thought that the version I bought was not as well built as earlier versions.
on 9 November 2015
Based on my own experience of the road angel gem I think it only fair to say that I did agree with most of the negative comments already made by other reviewers.However in defence of the company all or most of the problems can be corrected if you approach their technical team and ask for assistance.Recent server difficultys are being overcome and in the interim it is perfectly possible for the required update to correct most problems to be sent directly to your device I have received the update today on request which has now restored my gem to full capabilities along with simple instructions on how to install the required device drivers on my pc which when connected via usb lead has now installed the latest firmware version to my device through roadangels dedicated update software.I am speaking as I find and personally received first rate customer service which has resulted in a happy customer with a perfectly functioning unit.Thank you road angel customer and technical support staff

See one answered question