VINE VOICEon 18 July 2014
When Supreme Court Justice Henry Venter is gunned down while at dinner in a Washington restaurant, the authorities assume that it was a bungled robbery. A multi agency task force led by the FBI is set up to find the perpetrators. Head of the task force is Gabe Sloan who asks his old friend, former Secret Service Agent Joseph “Peep” Reader to help with the investigation. Given his expertise in reading people and their body language – hence the nickname Peep- Reeder views the CCTV footage. Reeder, though seen as a hero for having taken a bullet for the previous President, was badly injured during the assassination attempt and now heads up a private security firm. He is, however, persona non grata with many of those on the task force for the views he expressed after the attempt so it is not surprising that his theory that the robbery was in fact a pre-planned assassination does not gain him many supporters. That soon changes when a second Justice is gunned down at his home 24 hours later and Reeder is paired up with rising star FBI Agent Patti Rogers to investigate.
What follows is a fast paced, action packed and clever thriller with well-developed characters, relationships and storyline (especially between the more cynical yet likeable Reeder and the enthusiastic Rogers) which I found to be captivating and thoroughly enjoyable. I would be delighted if the author wrote a sequel with Reeder and Rogers as I believe there is more be gleaned from these characters. The crux of the plot is also interesting to consider – could the balance of power in the US Supreme Court be swayed if certain members are taken out of the equation?
on 5 July 2014
I am a fan of authors like Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, Brad Taylor etc and when I read the description I had high hopes for the novel.

unfortunately it was not to be, the plot is badly executed with a plot twist that was obvious, basic mistakes are made, like we are expected to believe that the director of the CIA and a Cabinet Secretary have no bodyguards.

The book is trying to recreate much better books, by the likes of Vince Flynn and Brad Thor, for liberals and I think doing so poorly.

I am sure some people will enjoy this novel but not myself.
on 3 February 2016
Immediately drawn in and didn't want to put it down. Guessed the villain early on but still enjoyed waiting to see if I was right. The ending was a bit abrupt but I can see this as the start of a series.
on 31 August 2015
This book kept me reading, cover to cover, even if the ending was not at all in the same class as the rest of it. It must be very difficult to maintain the same standard throughout but the end was rather weak!!
on 18 July 2014
Well written and enjoyable book. The first I have read by the author. Holds your attention throughout with plenty of excitement. Good value. It has prompted me to order a shed-load of other material by this gifted writer.
(Mrs Pacothepiddler)
on 30 January 2016
I felt the story line, once I got into it was gripping and I really enjoyed it. For me personally it was marred only by the language and disrespectful use of God's and Jesus' Name. I am onto the second in the series and it seems pretty good too
on 16 January 2016
I quite enjoyed this story but the efforts to put it up there alongside the experts of the mystery genre were quite untidy in places. Liked Reeder and Rogers. I'll be back
on 19 July 2014
Great read. Suspense and tension lasted till the very end. Believable scenario but kept me guessing as to " who done it"… I will read more books by this author.
on 10 August 2014
Grabs the attention from the first page. Just the thing to read from your Sun lounger. Not too heavy just a good old fashioned page turner.
on 1 September 2014
A very exciting and thrilling story, one that kept me totally enthralled right to the very last page. Well written.