on 13 November 2017
I always enjoy coming across new authors, particularly those who write crime thrillers, my favourite genre. The books of MJ Arlidge were recommended to me by my fellow members of a book group on Facebook. Matthew Arlidge is an English author of crime novels starring DI Helen Grace. He has also worked in television for the last fifteen years specializing in high-end drama production and I could certainly visualise the action as I read the first in his D I Grace series, Eeny Meeny.

Repeatedly, two people are abducted at the same time, then imprisoned together, and left with a gun. As hunger and thirst set in, only one walks away alive.

Eeny Meeny introduces DI Helen Grace and the first case she is presented with is a cruel, strange, game more twisted than any Detective Helen Grace has ever seen. Helen is familiar with the dark sides of human nature, including her own, but this case, with its seemingly random victims, has her baffled.

As more people go missing, nothing will be more terrifying than when it all starts making sense. This was one dark book. A couple who are hitchhiking are kidnapped and left for death - unless one of them kills the other. One is found and an investigation begins by DI Helen Grace, a hard-working woman who has her own issues.
The cover and title for Eeny Meeny by M J Arlidge made this an easy reading choice for me. It gave me a feeling of danger and kept me reading to the end. It is this author's debut novel, and it’s a good one. I highly recommend Eeny Meeny and certainly intend to read more by this author.

Val Penny
on 28 June 2017
Read this in 8 hours. Not at all heavy going, so a good read to take on your hols The book .borrowed a couple of ideas from Saw and the main character was a little reminiscent of a couple of more famous crime detectives. I agree with some of the other reviews that it was a tad cheesy in places but hey, I had a £2 credit so was not out of pocket. Recommended if you do not want a taxing read.
on 15 September 2017
Having read sereral books in this genre, I am beginning to get a bit tired of the same type of plot coming up again and again. Who is copying who? Female detective from a disfunctional family, motor bike obsession, tough journalist, rouge policeman: the characters from different authors are all blending into one! However, the plot did keep me interested to the end and I did warm to Helen Grace. Not a patch on the Kim Stone series however.
on 9 August 2017
I wasn't sure I would like DI Helen Grace, but it didn't take long to be captivated by her strengths and weaknesses, of which there are many of both. A very strong minded character, not one to suffer fools gladly, but she had her own secrets which also made her very vulnerable. Lots of twists to the plots and at times it was difficult to see what was coming next ion the way of surprises.
on 10 September 2017
A fast-moving story written in short chapters - which I like. A few unexpected twists. The first shock for me came about 20% through the book.
I had to read the last page a couple of times to work out what had happened, but I think it's also carried on into the next book in the series, which I'll probably buy.
on 15 January 2017
What a page turner,could not put it down. Just thrilling from the start,cannot wait to read more of the series
on 2 September 2017
This is the first book I have read by MJ Arlidge ..... it won't be my last ,,,,, read it in 2 sittings on holiday I was very anti social ..... there were a few times I just just put it and thought OMG and had to know what was next ...... very much a page turner ..... I am having the next one and hope it's as good
on 12 September 2017
I found it very hard to connect to DI Helen Grace most of the way through the book until the end when you find out why she appears this way. There is a lot of background information on the "main" characters which is good but can venture off topic slightly.

Was a good book with a good storyline that kept you hooked.
on 13 October 2016
It's an amazing read. Never heard of the author before. It's a dark, gory and captivating read. Felt like there were so many twists and turns in the plot which helped make it hard to put down. Writing style engrossing and easy to follow. The story is almost too far fetched and the final twists in the last 30-40 pages were almost unbelievable. Yet, found myself loving the book. DI Helen grace is a great central character. Unconventional which I really liked. I'm onto the next in the series now.
VINE VOICEon 8 October 2017
I picked up a copy of Little Boy Blue from the library and it had me hooked from the start,so thought I'd find out how it all began;got this first one in the series on Kindle for 99p! Excellent, can't wait to read the next one.