on 3 August 2014
I bought this laptop as I wanted one which could function as a middle/low end gaming laptop. I play strategy games and the Sims, neither of those games require a higher-end machine so this was perfect. It takes less than a minute from switching on to typing something in Google, and that's with over 80GB of games installed (mostly low-end ones from Steam).

In terms of price I paid only £478.58 in June 2014 and that was delivered with Amazon Prime. I added it to my wishlist, kept looking at it and then (surprise coming) the price dropped by £40. This model was still about £100 cheaper than at PC World/Currys.

The laptop allows you to change the volume without minimizing a full-screen game which is a bonus (my old laptop made you minimize). The USB ports are only on one side which is a little irritating if you're right-handed and want to use a cabled mouse - I had to get a wireless one. Sound quality is very good. As an aside, Windows 8.1 is better but I don't use the garish tiles screen - just go straight to desktop. I admit it does look good but in terms of usability the desktop is easier. Perhaps I could change the tiles to provide links to games but I don't get why it's there.

The laptop itself is very light and I was surprised with how thin it was. The mousepad is comfortable to use (you don't get that weird carpet-burn like feeling on your fingers after using it for a while).

I am able to play the Sims 3 with all expansions at maximum graphics settings. Same for Civilization 5. Games that tend to be released in the same format on Xbox One however I think will struggle - I don't imagine this game being able to play Watchdogs at anything other than the lowest settings but I may be wrong. If you're looking to buy a laptop that will play ANY game that comes out or has done within the next 2 years then you'll be looking at spending twice this.

Overall I do recommend this laptop, I did a lot of research and it is what I was looking for.
on 14 December 2014
Great laptop especially for the price that I got it at. A sleek, light, slimline design with good integrated graphics and large ram space. The speaker quality is excellent and louder than any other laptop/ mac that I have come across. I have not even needed to use any external speakers even when recording and playing music along to tracks.
on 6 March 2014
Overall I am quite satisfied about this laptop: Asus X550CC-XO071H 15.6-inch Laptop.

I think the first user who posted the review was a bit too exagerated though but I agree with a few things:

1. However I found some downsides, first, I was surprised of how for being a portable notebook the battery doesn't last very long when playing a game or using a few applications!

2.The other thing I was quite disappointed with was with windows 8, I find it hard to use! yes hard to use, I am telling you. I prefer windows 7, as it is much better and much more friendly user as well. I actually thimk windows 8 is another lemon comparable to windows vista. Big mistake coming from you Microsoft!!

3. I bought this notebook in order to be able to play some games, I am quite happy about the performance of nvidia geforce graphic card. I am currently playing the last tomb raider without having had any problems, just a couple of crashes so far.

4. Screen resolution is nice, the speakers sound is all right, although I wouldnt use them just for listening top quality audio though

5. Regarding the mouse touch I agree with the first reviewer, there seems to be something wrong, if I make a slight movement with the fingers some random windows 8 tails appear in the screen, and I am telling you, thats so annoying, I am wondering if this would happen if windows 7 was installed. I would suggest to check the manual on how to use the mouse first as there are many mouse movements to learn from this touch

6. Another problem is that they have made it very complicated to be able to boot from a linux usb or c.d. i am really struggling in order to find out how to do it! I think asus should make it easier for a linux user in order to be able to boot from linux

7. So overall quiote satisfied with the netbook lthough some downsides mainly due to the windpws 8 operating system, which by the way I will replace it by windows 7

Thank You and enjoy your new machine!! O.J
on 19 July 2014
Delivered on time and packed well.
I needed to upgrade my old HP laptop so I could play my games better (the HP was crashing and had gotten so bogged down with data along with all of my security software having gone haywire).
This laptop plays The Sims 3 games well along with the others I have (TS3 uses the most memory though and is still subject to the occasional crash!). The laptop was easy to set up, Windows 8 is pretty good. It doesnt come with any of the office products though you would need to buy and install those separately if you really want them.
Also no security software so thats another add on.
Still, i love my laptop, great purchase.
on 22 May 2014
Bought this a s pressie for my nephew... it is amazing value for money. i'm not a techno geek, but he tells me it plays the type of games he wants it too for a fraction of the price of a gaming laptop...
on 8 October 2014
i am satisfied with my purchase, shipping was quick, the pc is working properly, although it had some problems with speed- opening a simple music player or just copying music or pictures between pc and usb would take ages... aaaand windows 8 -took me some time to get used to it. But everything is allright so far.
on 16 July 2014
Bought to play elder scrolls online. Works perfectly on medium to high settings. Very good laptop for the low price
on 30 July 2014
It took me a while to decide on a laptop - I wanted a nice balance of desktop-capabilities vs not-too-expensive but also a good make (things like keyboard layout etc mattered).

Eventually I plumped for the X550CC-X0O71H and I am very happy. With Asus' quick on software the machine can wake up in 2 seconds which is great for the impatient. The design is well thought out - for instance the power cable connects to the laptop via an L-connector - which I still see some laptops not having, the screen is good quality and the various inputs are arranged where you can see them, not around the back. The machine happily runs the sorts of games I was wanting it to; Counter-Strike: GO for instance, and I can also run MSI Afterburner on it to cap (record) video playback. It comes with Windows 8 as standard, and I admit it was a pain upgrading to 8.1, but I would put the blame on Microsoft for the issues I had there. All the same, be warned it took me over 6 hours to get the laptop to accept and install the 8.1 update.

All-in-all I would buy this laptop again if I needed to - and I would recommend it to anyone needing a punchy laptop for a *relatively* low price.
on 11 August 2014
Quick dispatch and will packaged - ASUS design is quite robust, meets the need for mobility, space-saving, and multi-tasking. System has a fast turn-on from sleep mode, so if there is no genuine need to turn the laptop off every night, then closing the lid puts it to sleep. Obviously it's advisable to turn it fully off every now and then, though.
on 14 November 2014
Insert button is hell to use, by not being beside delete.
Other than that, everything you would expect. Came very well packaged.