Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 31 March 2014
Very satisfied with this purchase. The only criticism I have is that the speakers are very tinny (and the sound quality remains tinny when listening on headphones), but I can live with this when the overall product is solid value for money as this is.
on 16 February 2014
This is a beast of a laptop for the price. Admittedly I upgraded to this from a 5 year old Sony 1.7GHZ Pentium with Vista so this was always going to be a step up, but at £440 from Costco(£469 is the current Amazon price) it seems like a real bargain.

After doing some research I learned that I was looking for an i5 processor, as this is a fast processor and good at multi-tasking - some of the software I run is very intensive - it was between this and the Lenovo Z500. The Lenovo had excellent reviews also and looks very nice, but the extra RAM and HD space did not seem worth the extra £120, so I opted for this Toshiba.

It is actually a lot better than I expected - the build is very solid, the keyboard is punchy and has a good feel (although some of the keys are a bit strangely placed), and the casing is shiny and nice to look at. The pointing device is rougher than I am used to - not sure which I prefer but it is not worse than the smooth variety. One of my favourite things is how quiet this laptop is - I am currently downloading a film, streaming a football match and typing this and still it barely gets out of first gear.

If I am looking for faults then perhaps the screen is lacking slightly in colour. Also the sound is very tinny so if that's a problem for you, you might consider buying some portable speakers. The power socket is in a strange place as well - on the left of the laptop where it sticks out like a sore thumb. Anyway these are all very minor and completely forgiveable. You won't regret buying this if you want a powerful machine that looks and feels great!

p.s. what's the big deal with Windows 8? There are some nice touches and if you want to avoid the start up screen then you can go straight to desktop. I even considered buying a Windows 7 machine after reading about Windows 8. Glad I didn't as I figured 8 out in a few hours....
on 25 April 2014
Bought to replace a very old Toshiba Satellite Pro with Windows XP.

This laptop boots up very quickly and Windows 8.1 is OK and easy configure to use with a more traditional Desktop. Have been using it for about a month.

The screen height is a smaller than I expected which makes using MS Office applications with the ribbon a bit of a pain as the ribbon takes up a lot of the available space. Also, two of the USB ports are very close to the front on the right-hand side which is awkward if you use a mouse and have more than one peripheral attached. The track-pad is very sensitive and I keep unintentionally making the font size smaller.

Overall glad I bought it and would recommend it.
This review is for the Toshiba C55-A-1HN (with 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD), whatever the tag line says above.

My Acer Aspire was on its last legs and I knew it wouldn't be long before I needed a replacement laptop. The day the monitor went was that time. But what to replace it with? It's a difficult choice, what with so many models available in anyone's price bracket, but I plumped for this one. My old laptop was about six years old and wasn't particularly heavy, but compared to that this weighs practicly nothing, coming in at a smidgeon more than two bags of sugar.

With no disc to install, it didn't take long to start up and get going, though I have to say I wasn't too keen on Windows 8.1. As this is a review on the laptop and not the operating system, and as all laptops and PCs probably come with Windows 8.1 anyway, I won't dwell on that operating system.

I like the shape and design of this (there is a white option too) and your hands float over the keybord making everything easy to do. The touch pad is responsive (sometimes too much) and the left and right mouse buttons have a pleasing click to them whist the keys have just the right amount of resistance to let you know they've made the correct contact with whatever is underneath. What is noticeable is that as a result of there being a numeric keypad, the 'Enter' and 'Space Bar' keys are smaller than what I've been used to but I can live with that.

With three USB ports (one is 3.0), an HDMI port, Ethernet and VGA sockets, and a headphone and microphone socket, there's a connection for everyone. Not only that, I find it blistering fast with lots of memory (8GB) and a gargantuan hard drive capacity (1TB). Toshiba claim a battery life of about four hours but it's more than that. Compared to my first laptop, I now have three times the power, speed and capacity for half the price. And it's quieter. And the 'CAPS LOCK' key has a green light to let me know if I've pressed it by mistake. (The NUM LOCK key also has a light.)

There are a couple of things I don't like about this laptop. The sound is disappointing; it's very 'tinny' and no matter what I do, nothing changes that. The sound might be clear but whatever the blurb says, there's no bass on it. The second annoying aspect is the button for opening the CD drawer. It's positioned on the tray itself on the bottom part and is a bit too small and awkward to use for my liking. (I'm not too keen on the side inlet for the mains lead either; it should be at the back.)

As most laptops around this price point are very similar in specifications, it's all about aesthetics. (I got mine for £379.99, which I consider something of a bargain.) If you're in the market for a new laptop, whilst I'm not suggesting you rush out and get this (and many people are loyal to a particular brand), it's certainly one to consider. More memory and a smaller hard drive, or vice versa? Faster processor instead of capacity? A slightly smaller screen (and lighter too) but no numeric pad? Decent sound at the expense of another feature? Only you can decide.
on 3 April 2014
This laptop was easy to set-up, and the i5 processor is quick.
However, the touchpad often freezes, mitigated with a mouse.
on 7 March 2014
This is an excellent laptop, lots of good features. Very fast. Future-proof with USB 3 port! Keyboard very comfortable for typing. Nice big screen. Light and easy to carry. A very good buy.
on 29 March 2014
Just picked this up from a High Street Store, in a value bundle for £399 with a few useful accesories (store sounds rhymes with Naples), cheaper than Amazon at the moment, unusually.

Really impressed with its performance. Note it has the 4200M i5 processor (not the usual, less powered U found in current i5 laptops). Been very surprised how well it runs many 3d games without a dedicated graphics card, and it powers through general use very quickly.

The one thing that is not great on this is the sound, it isnt very good.
on 21 February 2014
Fast...quiet....windows 8 can be made to be like windows 7 in an hour or so.Great screen....all good...but beware..it is heavy....not to be tucked under the arm. It is a desktop replacement. I will keep it for a downstairs 'desktop'...but it wont be coming on holidays with me!!! The 0.9 mp camera needs to b tweaked in low light..backlight. Window 8metro apps are a nightmare!
on 30 May 2014
We are very happy with the laptop, but Microsoft's attempt to make Windows 8 into some equivalent of an iPad interface is clunky and cumbersome. It was very tempting to remove the operating system and install Windows 7. Perseverance has made this a bit better but it is not the smooth learning curve and user friendly interface you would expect. If you ignore the moans about the operating system, otherwise I can't fault the laptop.
on 11 January 2014
I am based aboard a sailing yacht in Turkey. My old Toshiba was getting old and tired. Checked on Amazon and found a great deal on a new Toshiba Satellite C55. Could they get it to Turkey? Yes - took two days but was in Istanbul where it was held up by Customs for a further three days. As soon as it cleared Customs it was delivered to the marina where we anchored. No faults on delivery and the package was in good condition.
I was up and running within minutes. The stylish design was a pleasure to use. Elegant, thin and light. A surprise was the Serial Port which seems to have deserted modern computers. I use this Port with some of the navigation equipment on board. So, all in all I am delighted with my new computer.
One black mark is the sound system which seems a little tinny compared with my old model. This is why I did not give it the full five stars.