Customer reviews

BETRAYED
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.74

on 29 March 2014
The book opens in 1990 London, a young girl is looking for her sister in the woods. A horrific event takes place and we see a glimpse of the events that follow. We skip forward to present day, still London and the story picks up from there, seemingly unrelated to the previous chapter however it is all related and linked which becomes clear as the story unfolds. Bunny Barker is our main character, she is a prostitute with her own rules. Her daughter is her number one concern and nothing, not even the man she loves, Del Williams will tell her what she can do. Del is a big face in London, involved in drugs and is a dangerous man. When a young girl goes missing and a body turns up Bunny is forced to look to her past and remember things she would rather have forgotten forever.

This book is a hard read, not because it is badly written in actual fact it is the opposite, it is really well done and pulls you in even though the content is hard to read. Young girls being abused and murdered is always hard to read and when there are pedophiles chucked in to the mix it can make for a tough subject. There of course is the usual mix of violence, deception, sex, drugs, prostitution, secrets, adultery and lies to name just some of the themes within the book.

After the first few chapters, I couldn't put it down. I wanted to know what happened to the little girl at the beginning of the book. Then as more characters are introduced and brought in, you want to see where their storyline goes and the character development. It reminded me of, I believe it was, Martina Cole's the graft that covered pedophilia themes and this one does too although the whole story isn't about that although it is central to the plot.

The writer creates a very murky dark world, people doing what they have to do to survive and thrive within it. If you like a good crime story and can cope with some of the horrific issues, child murder, prostitution and pedophilia, then you will really like this author. She has her own style but I would certainly group her with the likes of Kimberley Chambers, Martina Cole and Mandasue Heller. I don't think I had read this author before, if I had it was a long time ago however I would read her again and may seek out her other works, 4/5 for me this time.
22 Comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 April 2014
Betrayed.
Couldn't wait to start this the newest book by Jacqui Rose. And it didn't dissapoint.
Perfect for fans of Martina Cole and Mandasue Heller, Kimberley Chambers.
Enjoyed it from start to finish. I just loved the main characters in this book, and wanted to read more and more about them. Would love to read a follow up to this.
We start off in 1990 where a young girl is killed, we then jump forwart to the present day, where it is all put together so well.
Bunny the high class hooker.
Del the London Face.
then we have Eidith his not so wifey wife. A bent copper. Guns, drugs, Russian mafia.... what more can you get into a book.........
A must read... really did enjoy this...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 April 2014
I have read all of Jacqui Rose books and as a relative newcomer to the crime genre she seems to be climbing in both the charts and popularity very quickly. This latest book proves why she has managed to do that in a short space of time. This latest offering gives us a prostitute Bunny Barker living her life along with her daughter Star by her own rules. She is a pretty likeable character but there is a dark and twisted underlying problem within Bunny’s past which is evident pretty quickly.

Star’s father happens to be a gangster who pretty much runs Soho and although he is besotted with Bunny and Star, his lifestyle is not one Bunny is prepared to take on full time. Del was a great character and I liked him from the off. In addition to this Bunny and Del’s daughter Star was fabulous. Although she is only a young girl she plays a pivotal part in the story and is written so that you can just imagine this bright and bubbly girl being at the centre of everybody’s world.

Sadly, past figures emerge and between that and Del’s current business dealings with the Russians everybody seems to suddenly be in danger. I started this yesterday morning and absolutely refused to put it down until I had finished. There were a couple of things that didn’t quite flow as well as they could have, but it was still a brilliant book and one that will be loved by fans of Kimberley Chambers and Mandasue Heller. I for one will be eagerly waiting for her next book which is due out in August 2014…yay!
on 17 September 2017
I started reading this with great interest, but found that the characters were at times not quite believable.
How can the hardest man in the south allow his missus....as he calls her, to be a prostitute? Hard man detective get away with using drugs all day? Milo the Russian help find the daughter of the man who betrayed him? Not th best read but kept you interested if only to have an happy ending!
on 23 April 2017
This book had me gripped from start to finish. The story was thrilling and at times disturbing owing to certain aspects of the story. I like this author and I hope there are many more to come.
on 30 May 2017
A typical gangster type fiction. Very predictable but still enjoyable and easy and quick to read. The short chapters help 👍
on 16 March 2017
Great story. I've enjoyed all Jacque roses books
on 8 July 2014
She weaves a great story around the harsh reality of paedophilia, and the suffering caused by the perpetrators. This time though they are up against hardened criminals who are determined to protect their loved ones.
on 25 August 2017