on 19 April 2017
I do love a good historical film that has an element of fact however tenuous but for some reason I put off seeing this film since it's release way back in 1998.I was bored stupid on Easter Sunday and was scrolling through the rental films on my sky box and spotted this for a couple of quid so thought why not. So glad none of the cast attempted a French accent with the exception of Gerard Depardieu! Leonardo DiCaprio accent confused me a little as he sounded like he was going for upper class English (think David Niven, James Mason, Cary Grant) and not quite getting it, he plays King Louis XIV and the man in the iron mask. Gabriel Byrne is stunning as peace keeper and loyal soldier D'Artagnan. Jeremy Irons is Aramis, the Kings priest but he also has a secret. John Malkovich is Athos and Gerard Depardieu is Porthous. It has a great cast and great supporting cast, (Hugh Laurie makes a brief appearance) with some fabulous fight scenes, plotting and planning scenes and even some comedy. I'm so glad that I watched it that I just had to have the DVD to watch it again and again.
3 people found this helpful
on 1 April 2015
A simply splendid version of the famous book, and I do not agree with the assessment of someone that di Caprio is not up to the part. He plays his 2 characters extremely well. As I've seen commented before somewhere, this is definitely the best ever depiction of Aramis who is in the book the plotter, which Athos joins him after bitter disappointment in the King's selfish and cruel behaviour towards his (Athos's) adopted son which leads to the death of the young man. It seems that Dumas was not keen on these kings, so his idea to use the Man in the Iron Mask myth as a theme is one that many readers will identify with.

The comment above on the plot and acting that I've just referred to is not entirely accurate. D'Artagnan is told about the plot by Aramis and the other two backing him, and d'Artagnan will not take part in it. He has his own very important reasons for protecting the King even though that King is such a jerk. However, there are matters about the Man in the Iron Mask which d'Artagnan does not know. It is Aramis who has been in on the secret for many years through being in a certain place at a certain time.

This movie doesn't follow the original book in all respects, only in some. But for me it is a much more exciting version even than the book. I've no doubt Dumas could never have used the most important variation, but that was then, and the movie has been made now.
2 people found this helpful
on 23 May 2017
What a great film! There have been several version of this story made, butt this one really is one of the best! The acting was fantastic and Larnardo was really fantastic in this story! This film is a must-have for all of the history buffs out there and You will want to see it again and again!
A fast delivery and this seller knows what You want-a quality item delivered fast and in prime condition!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 July 2015
You just need to look at the cast to know that this would be a automatic classic and yes it is a classic the film is right for the historic period it portraits the director has used all the talent from these set of actors. The cinema photography is brilliant this film has heart and soul I think we all know the story of the man in the iron mask but this new version I highly recommend it.
3 people found this helpful
on 9 May 2017
The issue with 5 stars is that you can't give a very good rating, I'd say this film is 2.5 out of 5.

A nice film but once you have seen it you have seen it and you may not want to watch it again or for a long time. I think I lent my copy out and I don't miss it.
on 28 December 2017
My daughter loves this film and she would
Never have known it wasn’t brand new. Great quality and condition.
on 19 August 2013
A great cast, story and well directed. The cast handle this familiar storyline well, Jeremy Irons is great as Aramis, while Gerard Depardieu adds some enjoyable humour. John Malkovich adds some edginess as the troubled Athos, and Gabriel Burns is very likeable as the noble D'artagnan. Leonardo DiCaprio handles the dual role as the nasty King and his wronged brother very well, easily making you detest one and empathise with the other. A good night's viewing.
on 14 June 2017
Great film. Fantastic story and costumes with a brilliant cast. If you like a swashbuckling twist of a story you'll like this movie.
on 25 August 2017
Difficult to write a subjective review on DVDs or Books as they are very personal. Perhaps this is now a little twee but a good Sunday afternoon film.
on 21 October 2017
Love this film and nowy kids do too!