Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.19

on 25 February 2014
Rather silly in places and nowhere near the books in his detective series all of which I have read. wasn't surprised this first book took sometime to get a publisher; only bought it on his name but disappointing
on 18 February 2014
It's a great pity when excellent novelists churn out their earlier rejected works on the strength of their reputation. I found this book to be trite and facile. I like the Grace novels and am sorry that, in spite of his apologetic foreword, Peter James has allowed this to be issued.
on 19 February 2014
As someone who has read all the books in the Roy Grace series (but not James's other novels) and enjoyed each one of them, I was extremely disappointed by Dead Letter Drop - so underwhelmed in fact that I threw it aside after the first few chapters. To me it was redolent of a naive amateur trying to emulate Raymond Chandler. The prose was dreadful; Peter James was wise to offer an apology for it in the introduction. To compensate, I turned to the new Peter Robinson DCI Banks novel 'Children Of The Revolution', which was a blessed relief even though it also has picked up its fair share of bad reviews. Do us a favour, Peter, and get back to amazing Grace rather than regurgitate previous mistakes. And when you do, dump the Sandy thread or resolve it!
on 29 March 2014
The introduction tells readers the difficulty Peter James had finding a publisher and a bookstore willing to stock it. i am not surprised. The storyline begins with fanciful and totally unbelievable action better suited to superhero comic strip. Peter James latter series of Roy Grace novels are far superior and by contrast, well worth reading. I sent this one to the trash can!
on 21 April 2014
Bought this on basis of reading all the Roy Grace "Dead" books.......this book is NOT one of those.Agree with other negative reviews,a dreadful Americanised detective effort.
on 20 February 2014
This is Peter James first book and cynic would say that it was released as a quick and easy way to get sales now that he well know. Harlan Coben did something similar with his first novel. In that case the book was dreadful, in James's case the book is reasonable with an ok spy story. At times the author appears to be trying too hard building up complex metaphors but these tended to diminish as the story developed. Do not be fooled by the use of the word 'Dead' in the title: this is not an Inspector Grace book. All in all a decent effort but I am glad he has developed his style further.
on 3 February 2014
I mistakenly thought this was a new Inspector Grace novel. (my fault I didn't read the description). It was so bad I did not finish the book!!! Don't be fooled as I was.
on 19 April 2014
I have been following the adventures of Chief Inspector Grace, but this book is about someone different. I was a bit disappointed as it is based in America rather than Brighton.
on 6 August 2014
What a disappointment. Had this been by an author unfamiliar to me, I would have dumped my Kindle in the pool after the first dozen or so pages. I m a real fan of the Roy Grace series and thought that I owed it to the author to seeing it through to the end in the hopes it would morph into a something of the standard I have come to expect. In the introduction, Peter James explains how he came to write tan get his book published early in his career. He also apologised for it - and so he should. This is not so much a novel but a verbal storyboard for a second rate, budget movie full of 'action' sequences and very short on decent dialogue, plot and substance. Nevertheless, I would like to thank Mr. James; if this is the base line for publication then there is hope for me yet, as a writer.
on 29 January 2014
Sorry not for me - reads like an American Comic Book. Really poor effort.Thank god he went on to better things .