on 5 October 2014
I love the Ed McBain 87th precinct novels and bought 20 when tere was a 'special' kindle daily deal.
It is great to follow the same characters in each book, they all take part in stories to a greater or lesser extent except Steve Carella who is a central pin but they all appear often.
I am glad Ed McBain wasn't encouraged to kill him off early in the series.
All the books are good thriller/cop stories/mysteries.
on 7 November 2014
Ed McBain is a good story teller - I haven't yet read any of his books that was anything less than very good. I have not yet finished reading this one and I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends. He manages to introduce a lot of side issues into his stories which are interesting but do not detract from the main theme.
VINE VOICEon 27 March 2016
Despite the forensics team, 'putting the case on a plate', Detective Carella follows his gut instinct to pursue this gory and salacious case. Start with the corpse and then work outwards. Carella is part of the ensemble cast (eight police characters appear in the first four pages) which populate the 87th Precinct. It is believed that McBain was the copycatted basis for 'Hill Street Blues' should you want to appreciate the style based on a different media.

Set in the fictional suburb of Isola in New York. Not every cast member is a winner and some of the domestic woes of Officer Kling were tedious. The outcome was a foregone conclusion and revealed a worrying soft spot for the perpetrator. There are thousands of novels in this uneven series, not sure if I'm addicted but many people are junkies.
on 18 November 2014
and this series is so well written you can read them as often as you like. The 87th precinct is an imaginary police district but the police procedure is timeless . The wife murderer tries lso hard to clue Carella in from the beginning but the confession comes at the end.
on 24 June 2014
I had often heard of Ed McBain but until now had never read anything by him. I was really looking forward to reading the book because of the many accolades Ed McBain had received; I thought his writing must be amongst the best.
I actually found the book very average. It was ok, but that's all. I found sections of it disjointed and I didn't really like the style of writing. I read it to the end, but I was quite tempted to stop - I just wasn't grabbed by the main protagonists. Sorry, to all those die-hard Ed McBain fans, but I doubt that I'll bother with any more of his books.
on 10 May 2014
There's no point in my reviewing any more of the late Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novels. Briefly, each one excellent, and brilliantly written. If I could give it six stars, I would.
on 6 July 2014
Very good
on 11 November 2014
This series of 87th precinct story's is the best I have ever read. I want through them all twenty years ago and now reread them with the same high level of pleasure. Highly recommended
on 4 December 2014
A clever plot, with believable characters and very amusing asides by the author. The only gripe I have is that the book was too short - a very uncommon feature in modern US writing.
on 11 September 2014
Good crime thriller and well worth a read. I like the characterization, everybody in it seems real and believable. Looking forward to reading more of the 87th precinct.