Danielle Kathleen Britton of Flat Road Oklahoma is now living and working at Jinky's, which has a bar and holiday chalets for fishermen, kayakers and hikers. Jinky's is in the Lower Keys, where the temperature runs at hot or hotter. Dani's living conditions are minimal, but after a run-in with the authorities (see The Widow File), she is laying low, and happy to live a simple life. She knows she is being tracked by the government but she is careful to live within the law and just wants to keep her head down and get on with living. However, her previous experiences mean that she is very good at spotting liars and tricksters, and soon her employer, Oren Randolph, uses her to support his other job, brokering shady deals. Two local bad boys, who fancy their chances in the big league are Juan and Joaquin Wheeler. When their deal starts to go bad, Dani is caught in the middle.
Dani is a fascinating character. Short dark, athletic and scarred, she is not your standard heroine, yet men are drawn to her, and feisty though she is, they want to protect her. I am hoping that there will be a third book to continue her story.
on 14 October 2016
This second book of the series is as tight and fast paced as the first. A gripping plot and well drawn characters pull you into the action and nothing seems too far fetched while retaining pure inventiveness. Hope a sequel comes out soon.
on 11 August 2014
Not my normal read but picked it up as a filler-in with no prior knowledge of the previous book and was surprised how engaging it actually was. I expected to read a chapter or so until able to download the next book in the series I was already reading, however I felt compelled to continue to find out what happens to the feisty little character Dani. Overall I was glad I hadn't read the first book as it added to the mystique of what was driving the main character. Not overly complex but a good finale and definitely worth the read. A couple of reviewers mentioned they thought it didn't match up to the previous book so guess I'll check that out next to fill in the blanks. A follow up would definitely be worth a read, I'm sure Dani has more action packed adventures ahead.
on 25 June 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Found it hard to put down & looked forward to picking my kindle back up! Have read everything I can find by this lady, would love to read more!
on 4 July 2014
When is the next book in (The Dani Britton) series being published, the two books were a fantastic read, kept me reading till the early hours could not put the book's down, Redling a fantastic writer, bring it on cannot wait for further reading in this thriller series.
on 28 August 2014
After reading The Widow File I was waiting for this follow up. Must say a little disappointed. Was hoping Tom would come and save her and they would fall in love, There must be a follow up book as too many loose ends left.
on 14 July 2014
Another easy to read pacey book from this author. Thriller with enough human touches to keep you interested. I read it over a couple of wet afternoons when I wanted to escape but without anything too heavy!
on 12 June 2014
I loved this book, I couldn't put it down. The characters came alive, the story kept me enthralled and as soon as I finished the book I bought another by S.G Redling. If you like Robert Crais you will enjoy this book as much as I did.
on 13 June 2014
Written with the clarity and wit of a poorly educated five year old. Did this writer actually make money with this drivel?
on 3 July 2014
I really enjoyed this follow up to The Widow File although, to be honest, not quite as much as the first book. I think that is probably more to do with the fact that, having read The Widow File, I understood what made Dani tick and what her capabilities were, so nothing really surprised me. Having said that, it was a good read and the characters were still believable. I liked the little twist at the end involving Tom, and I can foresee a third installment in this series to tie up any loose ends. If there isn't a third installment due, then there should be and I would really look forward to reading it.