4,871
Style: Device|Change

on 16 June 2014
I've always used a traditional approach to hard skin on my feet. I usually soak them, dry them, then sit rubbing them with a foot file or pumice stone. It's worked for me, and I didn't see any reason to change my method. Until I tried the Scholl Velvet Smooth Express Pedi.

I was quite excited to receive it, and my first pleasant suprise was how easy it was to get out of the packaging, which sounds a minor detail but as this product would be really useful for elderly people, I think it's worth mentioning that they won't struggle to even get it out of the packet.

It's a very simple product - you put in AA batteries, then turn the silver ring on the handle and it whizzes into action. Just hold the spinning bar against your hard skin and watch it fly off in a fine white dust.

It's beyond easy, and can be used on dry feet so no need to soaking which means I can do my feet daily if I want or need to, keeping them super-soft and gorgeous all the time.

I found the comfortable ergonomic handle really nice to use, and although I'm very flexible, it was nice not to have to bed so much as when using a foot file - the extra length provided by the handle means it would be great for people with mobility problems such as the eldery or someone pregnant.

It's also a very manly device. In blue and silver, it's not girly, and my husband was happy to grab it and give it a go - "it's like a power tool for feet!" he said, which I think is a positive vote.

Yes, it seems pricey at first, at around £40 (although it's on offer on Amazon at the moment), but as it can be used safely by all the family, will last forever apart from occasional changes of the rotating bar, and is extremely portable, it is definitely worth it.

Mine has earned a permanent place in my bathroom, and my poor foot file is feeling rather neglected.

PROS:
Easy and quick to use
Attractive item in non-gender-specific colours
Effective
Good for people with mobility/flexibility issues

CONS:
Initial cost

Overall, I'd definitely recommend the Scholl Velvet Smooth Express Pedi.
0Comment| 432 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Style: Device|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Over the years I've bought and reviewed hard skin removers and I've received a few of these devices to test and review from Amazon. So I have a little experience of the benefits of these machines.

They all are much of the same BUT I guarantee that when you actually get one and use it you too will be amazed at just how good the results are

I have hard skin on my feet.
When you reach a certain age this is one of the things you develop along with.... Well I don't need to go into that here do I??

I was quite frankly amazed with the results.
After singing the praises of this machine I persuaded my wife to try it.

Now she does have hard skin from years of Badminton, squash and sports.
The results were excellent also so we are both converts to this form of getting hard skin from your feet.

So when offered the Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover I was very interested as most of the others have been Emjo machines.

So this review may be slightly different from others in that I actually am comparing hard skin removers from different companies.

The first thing you notice is that they actually operate on the same principle.
The coarse covered roller is powered by a battery and spins.
You hold it by the handle and apply to your foot's hard skin.
the machine is similar to the Emjo and works well.
Really well.

You will be amazed at the cloud of 'dust' which comes off the soles of your feet.

And compared to the Emjo it works just as well.
Where the Emjo has the edge, if you will pardon my pun, is that the Emjo come with two rollers with differing coarseness. So you can pick and chose but have two for the price of one.
Scholl have missed a trick here maybe?

Now a few tips from an old pro.

1. To get the best results you should wash your feet well first- this gets rid of a lot of stuff and lets the dog see the rabbit so to speak.
In other words soap and water are a heck of a lot cheaper than the roller replacements.
If you can get rid of a whole lot of hard skin easily before this means you are not wasting the rollers life and in a way your own by time.
Make sure you really dry the feet before using the rollers

2. Don't press too hard- this only slows the rollers and makes the motor groan like a 'past its sell by date Zeppelin'.

3. Apply gentle and I do mean gentle pressure ensures the roller really smoothes the hard skin.
Let the machine do the work for you.
It's just like going for a professional manicure. You don't file your nails down you let her do her job. Likewise you let the machine do its job.

4. A warning- there's dust! A fine cloud of...... well let's face it.. it is `you', your dust that is given off so make sure you do it somewhere where bits of you won't clog up stuff? Over the bath/toilet/bidet seems fine.

5. It says you can clean the rollers and machine with water under the tap.
I think an old toothbrush ensures a good clean and makes the rollers last longer.

6. Don't waste money by buying a replacement set of rollers until you have actually tried the machine.
Refills cost under a tenner for two from Amazon at the time of writing.
Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Hard Skin Remover Refills
I think they are brilliant but some may not.

Think of all those bread machines that people bought and stored away?

All in all?
This is a machine that works a whole lot better than the old emery board methods.
It produces faster and MUCH BETTER results.
It is Ultra safe when compare to those old razor bladed 'safety' cutters.
It's a whole lot easier to use than fiddly boards where you may not be able to see your soles.
If you intend wearing sandals and are concerned about the appearance of your feet then this is the machine for you.
1212 Comments| 818 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 August 2015
Very satisfying to see the hard skin disappearing in a cloud of dust! I spoke too soon with the previous sentence; the pedi simply stopped working after less than 2 months. I have just tried it with new batteries, but still completely dead so I went back to my order to see how to return it only to read that it is no longer elegible to return!
on 22 April 2015
Best product of this type I have tried and i have tried a few, this one actually works.
on 8 September 2015
I did like it when it worked, but this product has failed after the first change of batteries. I have tried to contact Scholl but they want so many items to prove I bought it, outer package etc that I will probably never be able to get them to replace it.
on 19 June 2015
I am 44. Prior to owning and using this product I had always considered my feet to be hooves. Now they are beautifully smooth, and resemble a human foot. I wish I had used this product earlier! Fabulous stuff.
33 Comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2015
This is EXCELLENT.it's great for getting rid of hard skin .and once you put on moisturizing cream your feet look baby soft.plus it's great for filing down thick toenails.and the battery lasts for months.great product .would recommend it.and would buy sgain
on 19 May 2015
It is a first class inexpensive product, Very simple in operation, Used correctly it is very good, It is extremely effective on removing dry skin very swiftly.
on 11 July 2014
Excellent product. The only problem is that it sends skin flying everywhere. So do it outside or cover with a towel
on 9 March 2016
The TV advert does (like many hyped up products) over estimates its capabilities. Any slight pressure it stops against the skin, some would say that this is a safety feature but I would say it's an underpowered micro motor. It also gets through batteries rapidly. Have I just been unlucky and got a bod one? NO because I purchased one and so did my son for my Father's Day present. I contacted Scholl and they didn't want to know. It had a sharp peice on the abrasive wheel and it slit the heel on my right foot. I couldn't walk at all for a week. The wound took 4 months to heal up.
review image review image