Platform: PC|Edition: Plus|Change
Price:£49.99 - £87.70

on 30 December 2013
Having already paid nearly £50 for the standard version which proved inadequate (see my previous review), I hoped to be able to give the Plus version at least 4*, as I would have done for the old Pinnacle Studio 12 Plus version. The customer support person said I should be able to install Studio 17 Plus on top of the standard version without removing it first. Don't believe it. On trying this, you get the message that all the files are already installed on your computer, and installation aborts. Adding to the stress, although the box and paper disc sleeve say Studio 17 Plus, the label on the disc is exactly the same 'Pinnacle Studio 17' without the 'Plus' and has the same product number as the basic version. This leads me to think it is the same disc, and that the Serial Number is the means of unlocking the other features, and that they could have charged a smaller fee for an upgrade rather than saying I had to purchase a whole new program ( via Amazon for £70) [Corel were charging £99]. So I removed the basic version using Control Panel, Programs, remove all the Pinnacle Studio 17 programs: Install Manager, Standard Content Pack, Score Fitter Vol. 1-2, and Title Extreme. It then installed, but on opening guess what ? - it looked exactly the same as the basic version with none of the missing features! Stress now mounting. Brainwave - check what Serial Number it is using, after all, it didn't even ask for one when installing. But where can you find this info? There's a little question mark button to the right of the tabs on the top left, click on that and select 'activate and register', and there it is. The Serial Number was that of the previous version I had just removed, but on entering the new one on the paper disc sleeve, lo and behold, all the missing features appeared.
Since then I have been using it to make three DVDs. The Title Editor is not as straightforward as that on Studio 12. Not only that, on closing the editor, the viewer screen is frozen and the only way to return to editing is to save, close and re-open the project. I have 16GB RAM, 4GB on the video card and an Intel i7 processor, son can't blame the system. I am awaiting a reply from Pinnacle on that issue. The other gripe is that when you detach a section of the soundtrack from the video in order to copy/paste it elsewhere or edit it, one cannot reconnect it again. It can become moved slightly out of sync. The detached track can be locked together with the whole video track, but that prevents any editing at all. The older versions allowed reconnection. There are so many features the average person would never use that it has become confusing. The other pain is the process for burning a DVD - it is far more confusing, with so many format options, than the older version of Studio.
on 16 December 2013
I have been using various versions of Pinnacle Studio since 8 - and I bought 17 plus to replace Pinnacle 15 which I had been using before I experienced compatability problems when I had to buy a new computer with Windows 8.1. after my XP one 'died'.

The first 'shock' was that the user interface is completely different - more akin to Paintshop. I understand that this is the result of Corel's take over of Pinnacle and its attempt to merge their two video editing programs into one.

Gone are the handy drop down menu 's from the tool box eg. picture in picture, video and audio effects etc. Most are there if you search long enough but not as user friendly. There is a plethora of fancy transitions provided but I suspect few serious video makers will ever want to use them.

It appears that you can no longer add music by 'ripping' CD's from the D drive in your computer ( I hold a licence to do this for 'non commercial use'.) I have yet to 'find' the old 'change volume / balance tool ' with its convenient sliders. To do this one has to use 'dials' adjacent to the time line.

Despite two patches that have been provided since the launch there is a major problem in exporting ( make movie on earlier versions) finished videos to DVD. The burning process come to a halt after 50% of the process with an error message popping up, known to Corel as it is recorded on their web site and reported by several users on various forums. It seems only possible to obtain MPEG files rather than a true DVD.

Naturally there is no hard copy of the instruction manual - a 400 page on is available for down load - but it answers few of the questions raised and not very easy to understand unless you are an 'expert' - however there are some useful video tutorials on the Corel website which should be viewed before attempting to use the program.

The 'free' 14 day technical support is limited to installation problems - anything else and one either pays for it or has to trawl through the FAQ's or visit various forums.
Most of the plug ins I purchased with earlier versions of Studio - are now redundant as they are not compatible with 17 plus.

Overall I have found the 'upgrade' from 15 to 17 a nightmare - and unless Corel sort out the problems with export - I shall be looking for an alternative video editing program.
on 18 April 2014
Used Studio 11 plus for years, which regularly crashed and had error messages, but that notwithstanding, I liked the programme for many other reasons. I thought that although 17 plus is a lot further on, it would still be simple to use. How wrong was I!! I cannot get it to allow me to make even simple titles, it is so much harder to split clips, no right click and split, toolbars are so minute that you need binoculars to see the icons and these are so not clear as to what they represent, that I have to click on them each time to know what they are! I already have Paint shop and other Corel programmes that would have served me as well, and this for me has been complete waste of money. It will be going on ebay, as too late to get my money back. If you liked earlier Studio programmes and want something similar, dont touch this with a barge pole.
on 24 March 2014
I had previously been using Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate, which I found very easy to use and produced excellent results. I used the Trial Version of Pinnacle Studio 16 Plus recently, and I wasn't too keen on it. However, as I had to purchase a full version, I opted for Pinnacle Studio 17 Plus. This appears to be even more complex, and even the 300+ pages of the User Manual (which I had to print out!) has done little to clarify many points. However, don't let this put you off as I know that once I get used to some of the intricacies of this Software then I will be able to produce excellent results. I have tried 'Trial' versions of other video editing programs, but in my opinion the Pinnacle Software offers excellent value for money - particularly at Amazon prices!
on 6 March 2014
Absolutely brilliant program, did not come with any instructions but plenty of professional video instruction on youtube. reviews stated that it had problems with glitches, I let the program render each section before moving on and no problems so far, also pinnacle sent me a patch which should solve any issues.

Value for money program and great looking end results to your film etc.
on 7 November 2014
Don't like this programme at all. Used Pinnacle for many years and now I have Windows 8.1 I have had to change to Pinnacle 17. Very basic, not nearly as good as Pinnacle 15. Wish I could use 15 again.
on 29 October 2014
I've had pinnacle products for years and been very pleased with the results. A pity I just bought this and 18 came out. Most aggravating. However as I have only just purchased this cannot comment yet.
on 1 February 2014
Did everything I expected and more, more scenes more transitions and lots of extras, so I am very pleased and happy.
on 5 June 2014
This is just what I was after a vast improvement on pinnacle 14, the library recall is far superior. Well recomended
on 3 July 2014
A good update for the Studio 9 wich I have been using.

See one answered question