Style Name: Deluxe Map|Change

on 10 August 2015
I got this as a birthday present recently. I think it's great! I noticed a lot of people saying it's hard to scratch off, my top tip is to use a pencil rubber. You can even use the one on the end of a pencil for around the country borders to make it super neat.
review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 March 2015
I had previously seen the white version of this map and thought it was a great idea, so decided to buy one as a gift for my much travelled partner. It was only when I started to search online that I discovered this deluxe version, and ordered it.

It arrived beautifully presented in a strong colourful tube (not folded as another reviewer received) rolled around tissue paper to protect the scratchable surface. It is fairly large, being about A1 sized, so make sure you have sufficient wall space for it. We put ours in a glassless frame with a hardboard back and are very happy with the appearance. This does not make it easy to scratch off areas around the perimeter, but it is worth the extra trouble. The black and gold colour scheme is very smart so it looks great and attracts attention. I am not convinced about the info graphics along the bottom of the map - they do include some fun items, but I think they detract a little from the overall look of the map. The map is printed on quite heavy duty card, so it takes a while before it stops trying to roll itself back up again. But the advantage of the heavy card is that you are not going to scratch through the printed surface beneath the gold covering.

Deciding what to scratch may lead to some indecision. Does changing planes at Shanghai airport entitled you to scratch off China? For now we have just cleared off Shanghai with the idea that we will remove the rest if we ever go outside that city/airport.

Overall I am very pleased and happy to recommend it to others
on 10 January 2014
I've seen the standard versions of this map before and bought the deluxe as a Christmas present, very impressed. The quality and size are fantastic. There is also a pretty cool section at the bottom when you can log what continents you've been to/peaks you've climbed.
on 1 December 2015
I brought this as a gift and its HUGE! My sister has everything but travels a lot so this was a perfect gift. Comes in a really sturdy cardboard tube and looks great. It must be really fun scratching off where you have been and looking at the map to see how many places you have visited.
on 14 July 2015
I have the black one and I must say it's quite annoying because you can't see the countries until you scratch it off so if you're not sure you'll get it wrong. It also doesn't look very nice once you've scratched...it's kind of messy tbh. I've kept it up because it is still a nice looking map from afar.
on 14 May 2015
This worked soo much better than some of the reviews suggested. If you just take the time and use an eraser to remove the covering layer, it actually works amazingly! Have had no problems and am genuinely impressed.
on 3 January 2016
Bought as a Christmas present for the brother-in-law and he loved it. He is very well travelled and liked the idea of plotting these down and working out where to go next. I think this would have been a perfect 5 if it had included a fine rubber to use on the map.
on 19 June 2014
My son loved this he is about to go travelling and has already scratched off the relevant places he will be going to and the ones hs already seen, what a brill idea
on 29 June 2014
I'm pleased that I chose this version of the scratch map as I think that the combination of black background and gold looks great. It would make a good gift for someone who loves travelling (and it comes in a nice tube). To echo what a few others have said, I also found it difficult to scratch off the gold using a coin; the coin scraped off the very top layer of gold but left silver showing underneath. In the end I used a sharp scraper tool that came with a 'scraperfoil' set and that did the job very well, although I had to be careful as it did take off a bit too much in tiny areas, leaving specks of white showing instead of colour. It is the perfect size - not too small, but not massive either.
on 4 March 2014
its not easy to scratch you need to find the right tool, a coin wasn't working for me.....try carefully with a sharp knife. Well and after you done you realize that you haven't seen much of the world :o))