on 8 August 2016
Long, convoluted, far-fetched, violent.........but completely absorbing. This is the sort of book that you really do want when you look for a "mystery" or a "thriller". Usually such books fall far of the mark, but this one is really very good. It has all the elements that keep you turning the pages - a genuinely nice (though hard) hero, unusually puzzling crimes, twist and turns, a fabulous surprise which really did give me goosebumps (that's a first).

Exciting fiction is never going to be completely believable, and there were a fair number of loose ends that were inadequately tied (usually with the villain throwing money at people to keep them quiet), but that really didn't matter in this case because too much logic would have spoiled the complicated storyline.

I have to confess to a bit of racism. I have had a Tim Weaver book - Vanished - on my Kindle for ages, but thought that someone with that sort of English man-next-door-mowing-the-lawn name wouldn't be great at writing thrillers. I was wrong, and apologise to Mr Weaver for such judgmentalism. He really is a very good and knowledgeable author, and I will definitely be plunging into Vanished without delay.
VINE VOICEon 15 December 2013
Having read the previous three 'Raker' novels, I couldn't not read this one.

At first, I was beginning to regret my enthusiasm. It seemed to take ages to get going; there are two storylines running at the same time, there's catching up from the previous stories both of which are somewhat confusing initially.

But then, the author switches on the afterburner and everything really hots up. It is a page turner for sure, the two stories still running concurrently now - more or less - as Raker digs deep into the case of a missing family.

I wasn't quite sure where Healy fitted into all this; one minute he's there, the next he's cleared off, never coming back! Actually, I'm pretty sure he will!

Then there's the case of the rough and ready fisherman who seemed a red herring (sorry about that fishy pun) because he was so obvious. And the police character Rocastle, who seems to have lost it before he's begun.

That said, the story is a good one for the most part. The author cleverly reveals clues via Raker which take us/him closer to a conclusion and when the finale does arrive, he's left a card up his sleeve, although I have say that it wasn't that much of a surprise in reality.

I enjoyed the book; it's good and in parts, it's excellent and if I could I would have awarded 4.5 stars
on 25 April 2014
"I know that you're the type - the type that doesn't let things go" - that sums the Raker stories up very well indeed. I started reading Tim Weaver's Raker stories a couple of years ago beginning with Vanished which I found excellent. I then worked backwards (!) to get the back story which I enjoyed though is not really essential in my opinion - Weaver crafts very tense thrillers. Seeing that another story is on the way I decided reading this book was overdue. I found this book very hard indeed to put down - violent, multi layered and twisted; it was very compelling to me. Tim Weaver does writes these very well indeed. I do find that some authors start well and then become a little tired and formulaic however to me the Raker stories are actually getting better. There is a fair bit of violence however it seems appropriate for the tension in the story. I am now really looking forward to the next one.
on 23 October 2017
Finished one and had to read the next! Just when you think it’s sorted there’s a turnaround. I like the style of writing from Tim Weaver. I will read the rest of the David Raker series, not necessarily in the correct order.
on 27 January 2014
This is the first time I have read Tim Weaver. I was attracted by the subject matter thinking it was a similar scenario to Linwood Barclay's debut novel which I still rate as one of my all time favourite novels. The storyline was completely different but this novel was fantastic. It's rollercoaster narrative that carries you along. it is fast paced but covers every base, tit bits of revelation occur throughout but the ending has so may surprises. It was totally atmospheric being a regular visitor to Devon I was fascinated by the fictional Miln Cross. This novel rates with The Linwood Barclay and Peter May's Blackhouse both of which are fast paced and full of surprises. This was the first Tim Weaver I had read and certainly not the last, the rest are already on my Kindle. If you want a book that you don't want to put down , this is the novel for you. Loved it.
on 9 March 2014
Loved this book. I haven't read any of the other books featuring the character David Raker but will be now. The only reason I'm giving this 4 stars and not 5 is that I felt it took a while to pick up the pace and draw the reader in - but once we found out about the missing family like many of the other reviewers I just could not put it down. The heart warming surprise at the end did almost bring a tear to my eye as though you sort of hoped it would be the case you couldn't be sure (sorry if that doesn't make sense but I hate plot spoliers!). This book would make a great TV drama as David Raker is an interesting and likeable character. Surprised actually that as this is the author's 4th book that David Raker hasn't already been signed up for the small screen.
on 23 September 2013
I like Tim Weaver very much; good characters, fast pace and very well written and to date enjoyed all his books. However, with this one he has stepped out of his usual tight storyline and produced a multi plotted one taking him outside of what he does best. The story is so complicated and improbable to the point it gets messy which is a shame as the David Raker, missing persons investigator is an excellent character but not in the world that Weaver puts him in with this book. Considering the injury suffered in his previous book, Raker certainly took some punishment in this one which was not really believable even with a little literary licence and the ending was a little over the top to also not to be believable. Keep Raker local not International.
on 22 July 2014
Truly a mystery suspense thriller - it has all those elements and I loved it. A bit like Linwood Barclay and James Patterson mixed together but more complex. This would be best read within a short period of time as there are quite a few characters and it does go backwards and forwards in time - I think I may have found it too difficult to get into if I had tried reading a chapter a night. Anyway when you read this you will want to keep on reading as it is a great book. This is my first Tim Weaver even though it is 4th in the series, I didn't feel I needed to have read the earlier Raker books first but I am definitely going to read them soon!
on 1 February 2018
This was a really exciting read, one of those books where you have to stop reading for a bit because its so good you cantcarry on. The house was not cleaned, the dinner was burnt and late I was so engrossed , I cannot praise this enough. Now must read more from this Author
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 August 2014
I think this is probably the best yet in the series. I was glued to this tale of a family who disappeared leaving only a carton of spilt milk to suggest it wasn't voluntary. Obviously you have to suspend your disbelief on page one but if you take that as read what you get is a rollicking good read with multiple twists and turns. David Raker is a good protagonist with a crusading zeal which is very attractive in fiction, but probably not so much in real life so the police's antagonism towards him is very understandable and adds another dimension to the book. Bring on Fall From Grace.