Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.98

on 4 November 2011
What can I say? It was very cheaply priced and I was at a loose end and in the mood for a short story.

I never expected to be completely blown away and throughly drawn into what I was reading. It's weird to me that some stories that don't warrant it get 600 plus pages, but this was way to short by a mile, it was bloody brilliant and I can't overstate that, it was brilliant.

Eco disaster - warfare and killer robots - and so well written.

WIll certainly be reading more of this chaps work. Wish I could give it more stars!!!!!
on 20 March 2013
It's difficult to choose a rating for this one. Although very entertaining, though provoking and certainly fuel for the imagination for any science-fiction fan, the length of the story limits any true depth to any of the characters, or the setting. What is here is certainly well-written: A great deal of extrapolation on behalf of the reader can make this seem bigger than it actually is.

It will certainly entertain, but I can't see myself talking about this one to anyone, or reminiscing about great stories I once read. Certainly worth reading once, but perhaps too easy to forget.
One thing about buying e-books is that you really have no idea how long they might be.

This story is clearly described in the description as being a short story, but I was still surprised at just how short it was. I finished it just over half an hour.

This is the third Christian Cantrell story that I have read that is woven around an ecology theme. Each of these three stories has approached the matter from very different directions. This one looks at life on Earth following a catastrophic and rapid period of global cooling that leaves only a small inhabitable area around the equator.

The story itself is really rather good, but being so short has little time for much in the way of character development or plot complexity.

On the other hand, the point of the story is actually making is very nicely done without it being over-explained.

Once again, as with the previous Christian Cantrell stories I have read, the presentation on the Kindle is utterly faultless even so far as including the cover art that is so often missing on Kindle books.

Overall - I would really have expected to find a story this short in a collection rather than being sold on its own and for that reason alone I can't give it the full five stars.
on 20 October 2010
I was expecting this book to be longer than it was, but for the money (£0.72) I am not complaining.
I completed the book in under an hour. I am not the fastest of readers but I enjoyed the story.
I bought it after reading another book by the same author, titled containment (which was considerably longer but cheaper).
I will be reading more by this author, just hope they are a little longer :)
on 4 January 2012
Not really a book, more a sampler of this authors writing style.

Unfortunately for me it was a sampler that put me off his other works.

Needless to say, I won't be buying more of these, and will stick with Neal Asher and Philip K Dick!
A very short story, I finished it within about 25 minutes, but I was intrigued for all of those minutes. Well written with a great premise that I'd love to see more of - a fully realised story in this same fictional universe would be most welcome - I consider it 71p well spent to discover a talent I shall be keeping an eye on. I wouldn't be put off by the length - a short story that grips is a better addition to a library than some of the other lengthy, but ultimately dull and poorly written novels you can find on the Amazon charts for the same price.
on 13 December 2010
First of all, this is a short story. It's a good story line, but would have much preferred to see it converted into a longer story.

Really enjoyed it, but would prefer it to be longer. The story line is packed into just a few words in effect.
on 24 February 2016
Maybe a fun half an hour.