Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 March 2012
I've followed Quo for as long as I can remember. Some of their early pop album tracks are genuine hidden gems. Their harder sound produced the no. 1 boogie song of all time in my opinion : "Mystery Song". I don't think they or any other boogie outfit will ever top that. I stuck with Quo even when they did the odd ballad (which DOES suit Francis Rossi's voice, actually). I was less than enamoured with their "60s pop cover" phase, but I don't count that as Quo anyway. I agree with Alan Lancaster that "Rockin' All Over The World" was a mistake (and btw, I'm glad they've made up after all these years). I think they've spoilt some of their own songs over the years (e.g. "Caroline" does NOT need honky-tonk piano!) and whilst every album has one or two limp 12-bars, as per, they have been regaining their heavier side in the past few releases. This album followed that trend, and blow me, if it doesn't contain one of their best EVER songs in 40 years! The track "Dust To Gold" proves they still have that magic. Rossi and Parfitt - I take my hat off to you.
on 12 May 2017
Another excellent album from Status Quo. I just love it. Mind you I say that about all Status Quo's albums because for me they're absolutely wonderful.
on 23 March 2017
Brilliant
on 21 February 2017
After a bad start every thing hunky dory, very pleased with the way I have been treated will have no problem using this company again, thank you guys
on 16 October 2014
Quo just keep on rocking and giving great value.

Great tracks especially two way traffic.
on 31 May 2011
As a long-time Quo fan, I really like this album but this comes as no surprise to me. To me, Quid Pro Quo sounds like the culmination of Status Quo rediscovering their soul (their `Quoness' if you like) that started with Under the Influence in 1999, continued with Heavy Traffic in 2002 and was consolidated on The Party Ain't Over Yet (2005) and In Search of the Forth Chord (2007). After the best part of 20 years of trying not to be the Quo we know and love, the period from 99 onwards was, for the most part, a return to Quo rocking out in a way only they can, interspersed with gentler moments - just like the classic period in the early 70s.
Quid Pro Quo (in parts) is the heaviest of these new Quo classics and has plenty of `attack' and aggression akin (to me at least) to On the Level or Blue for You. While I don't adore every track, those I do like I believe will become Quo classics. Two Way Traffic is fast and raucous in a way that reminds me of Is There A Better Way from Blue for You; Dust to Gold and Frozen Hero (my two favourite tracks) have that unmistakable Quo hardness and shuffle but sound quite contemporary. Movin' On is another track that wouldn't have sounded out of place on On the Level or Blue for You such is it's pace and heaviness, but also its catchy melody. These tracks are, I believe, special and could quite happily sit alongside Caroline, Roll Over Lay Down, Backwater etc. in the Quo `Hall of Fame'.
In addition to these, Rock n Roll n You, Leave a Little Light On, Let's Rock and Better than That rock along quite nicely for me and are as enjoyable as anything Quo have ever done.
What stops Quid Pro Quo from getting the full 5 stars (which I don't give out often) for me is that while I love the aforementioned tracks, some of the others I could take or leave. I don't understand why artists now pack as many songs on an album as possible (I have one by Tori Amos that has something like 23 tracks!). If Quid Pro Quo had stuck to 10 or 12 tracks, then I would be talking about one of the finest Quo albums period. Then again, the few tracks I could live without will probably be some Quo fans' faves such is the band's wide appeal, so don't let this put you off.
Furthermore, what makes the truly classic Quo albums classic is the mix of lighter tracks with the full-on 12 bar onslaught. There is no track akin to All the Reasons, A Year, Gurdundula, Lonely Man, Living on an Island etc. to break up the album and for this reason it's a 4 star rather than 5 star album.
In conclusion, for me, Quid Pro Quo is a very welcome addition to my Quo collection containing some really classic tracks. If this was to be Quo's final album (which is possible) then it's not a bad way to bow out with the crunching guitars, catchy melodies and 12 bar mayhem reminding me why I loved them in the first place.
66 Comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 7 June 2011
OK, you can ignore the five stars if you want, but I happen to love this album and 'I love it' is Amazon's five star criteria, so there. I'll be the first to admit, however, that the five studio albums Quo made between 1972 and 1976 plus 'Quo Live' are head and shoulders above anything they've done in the last thirty years, and this doesn't change that.

The good news though is that this is the band's heaviest offering since '1+9+8+2'. Quo regained some of their old ground with 'Heavy Traffic' around ten years ago and their two albums since largely held it, but all three occasionally betray Francis Rossi's pop leanings. That weakness is virtually extinguished on 'Quid Pro Quo', which is most certainly a rocker. Rossi and Mike Paxman produced the album, endowing it with a hard sound that brings out the band's familiar rhythms to maximum effect. Most of the tracks are taken at an above average to high tempo and there are no slow blues or limp ballads.

The album could do with the odd stand out track. The songs themselves are all what might be described as good to very good album tracks but there are no killers. The whole is totally dependent on style and production.

Lyrics in Quo's 'classic' period rarely amounted to much, but it never mattered. It's noticeable, however, that Rossi is quite articulate these days, whereas Rick Parfitt still writes cliches, as 'Let's Rock' demonstrates.

As for the live disc, well, how many versions of the old favourites do you want? Still, 'Down Down' and some of the others still offer thrills, so I'll take it.

But five stars? Yeah, I know. But against the dull, dismal stuff that pollutes the airwaves these days, 'Quid Pro Quo' is a breath of fresh air to blow all that away. The rest are playing at it; this is a reminder of the real business.
22 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2011
I am a long time Quo fan and have followed them since Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon (a few years ago now). I love their 70's period and even endured the covers phase. This however is the best album they have done in 20 years. Since Whatever You Want. Heavy Traffic was good but this is much, much better.

Every track on the album is a belter. Slightly more commercial and softer than 20 years ago but they prove on this album that they can still write great, catchy, rocking tunes. Fans of old who have drifted over the years should give this a spin. I am sure it will re-ignite the passion.

The live 'bonus' album is also tops. A good compilation of popular tracks with a good recording quality. The 60's tunes are interesting but they should have included Paper Plane like they did in Australia.

Both these discs together are a steal for a Quo fan.

Buy, buy, buy, buy.....
5 stars without any hesitation. I ordered this 10 Jun and it only arrived at noon today. Why the delay? And why is there no (apparent) retail outlet except Tesco?? It's no way to promote/publicise/sell one of the best Quo albums for a while. Anyway - from the opening riffs of "Two Way Traffic" I had what my wife calls the "Quo Grin" - I just can't stop smiling and moving. Nearly all the tracks are good "Movin On/Leave a little light/Frozen Hero" are personal faves. I own ALL their records (inc the many repeat compilations - more than Elvis I suspect), and have watched/heard all the changes and ups and downs, and this I assure you dear readers is an "Up". The best live band in the world give us a bonus here-not the best live recording but still very good if predictable, but that's what we want, and what makes Quo so great. Buy this, fans or not. It's great.
on 27 April 2012
I would give this 3.5 stars if i could. I have been a Quo fan since the mid 70`s and in truth i am suprised to read some of the reviews saying some tracks would not be out of place on Hello, Quo etc...must have been listening with Quo tinted headphones. having said this, the Album is the best effort they have done in years but not to the standards of the 70`s early 80`s. This album could have been so much better if Quo had not tried to play it so safe. The album is over produced in that Rossi`s voice is too clear, too clinical, too studio. Quo made their mark as a live band and this was reflected in their earlier albums like Quo, Hello, Blue for You. This over production also highlights the vocal limitations of Rick Parfitt..earlier albums he got away with it because of the quality of the songs and also that the music masked his vocal deficiencies...leave the vocal to Rossi. Quo made their mark as a 4 peice, quitar, drums, vocal band playing 12 bar boogie..no brass section or synthesizers...get back to this. This album does get my foot tapping but didn`t get me wanting to stand up and start headbanging..maybe not such a bad thing at my age!! Then again it is Quo, i still love em but wish they would get back to basics..catchy identifiable quitar intro`s, heavy Rick Ryhtm machine guitar and a blistering guitar solo from Frame..maybe i`m not the only one that`s gotten old!!