on 20 September 2013
As an avid reader of Carol's books i was straight into this short story of a woman who had loved and lost. Carol's unique description of the Cote d' Azure brings the warmth of the sun to your soul.
Cecile was a Lemon farmer who sells her wares come rain or shine in daily in the market in Cannes. She is a celebrated figure who features in many tourist guides but chooses to keep herself to herself and not partake in the post market lunches with other stall holders. She returns home to her estate and her 16 year old daughter.
Cecile has a secret yearning to be reunited with her daughters father and waits patiently for him to return to her and live the life that they had planned.
Read for yourself how the story unfolds. You will not be dissapointed.
I could not put it down until i had read it all.
on 19 September 2013
A wonderful read, not the sort of book I usually read, but thoroughly enjoyed it. With the very evocative descriptions, I almost felt as though I was there. Would definitely recommend that you get this book in your kindle.
on 23 September 2013
Get the olives out, and the wine, sit yourself down when you know you won't be interrupted for 90 minutes or so, and get lost in this delightful tale.

A lovely story which, from the start, takes you into Cecile's world and the market in Cannes. It is so well written that you hardly notice you are actually reading, you become involved in the characters and the book plays in your head like a small film taking you along as a spectator.

I loved this book and read it in two sittings, the lovely thing about The Girl in Room Fourteen is that it will appeal to all ages and all genres. A simple story with a big impact.
on 19 September 2013
Intriguing love story set in the South of France ; the perfect antidote to a cold wet day in London spent on public transport. Didn't want it to end.... What a treat for 99 pence!
on 20 September 2013
Bought it, read it, loved it!! Reading it again!! Carol never disappoints, with her wonderful books, full of atmosphere, as a lover of South of France I can almost be back there again!
on 29 September 2013
Every book Carol writes make the reader want to move to the South of France, this book is no exception.
I read this beautifully written book one evening and wanted to pack my bags, change my career and move!

It is a beautiful beautiful love story set in the South of France -it's an emotionally written book of love and loss - we enter Cecile's world, we breath her every day, we feel her every emotion, we love her separate life in Menton. It's a fabulous story and there is definitely a sequel.......
on 25 September 2013
I have read all of Carol Drinkwater's non-fiction Olive Farm and Olive Route books, which I love, so I just had to dip into this Kindle short story. I was not disappointed. In fact, Carol allows us to peek into her own farm (disguised as a lemon farm in this read) which is already well known to her readers. This is a tale of love and loss intertwined with the scents and tastes of the Cote d'Azur. My only disappointment was the brevity of the story as I wanted to know what happens to our heroine, Cecile. Perhaps this leaves room for a sequel? I certainly hope so. Highly recommended.
on 22 September 2013
"For fourteen years, Madame Cecile Berri had been presiding over her lemon stall at the Forville market in the French Riviera city of Cannes." So begins the wonderful love story of Cecile and Roberto. Although this story is told from the third person point of view..Cecile's..Carol Drinkwater's ability to describe emotions, landscape, and setting make us imagine that this is a first person narrative. It is Cecile's story. I read it in one sitting, and could well see this as a film. The South of France setting as described by Ms. Drinkwater, is indeed a "perfumed paradise." I loved this story, as I have all of Carol Drinkwater's books. My only complaint is that I wanted the story to continue, and I can only hope that she will continue the adventures of Cecile and her daughter, Donatella: perhaps this time in Italy.
on 30 September 2013
When I bought this book I didn't realise it was a quick read, but probably my fault for not noticing this. Saying that, I enjoyed the story and the way it was written.
Cecile has made a success of her life and bringing up her young daughter, Donatella. For the last time she is attending the lemon festival in the hope of meeting the man who is Donatella's father. The story behind Cecile's sadness is told in flash backs.

I enjoyed this short story but felt the ending let it down a little in some ways. It just didn't seem to wholly fit the rest of the story. It could be that I was just in the wrong mood for it. I like the author's writing and I think I shall be looking at reading some of her other books.