Style Name: Hard Drive Case|Change

on 22 February 2013
Fits the passport range of external hard drives. Used for 500GB and 2TB drive sizes, fits like a glove. Material is hard wearing and rigid enough to protect the drives and has room for cables. Excellent value for money and feels robust enough to withstand most knocks and drops, had one for a fair while now with no problems. Great product.
Picked up one of these to give my precious WD MyPassport 2TB drive a bit of scuff protection whilst in transit and it's proved to be the ideal and affordable solution. There's nothing fancy here, just a well-made case with a decent zip closure and room inside for the drive and a cable to connect it. In fact I managed to get both the MyPassport and a thin Seagate Slim drive together with a single USB-3 cable into the case without causing the zip any great stress. Although Amazon refer to it as a hard case I think 'firm' is a better word - but it's perfect if all you need is to protect your valuable drives from getting a bit beaten up in your back-pack.
on 8 August 2012
Until now, I put my Buffalo Ministations, the HD-PCT1TU3 type, in an IOMAX case. Works fine, but I hate it when there's still too much movement possible 'cause the case is just a bit longer than the drive.
I also had one other brand case that fitted perfectly - but is just a bit too thin to nicely hold the cable in the other compartment when the station is in.

So, when I found this AmazonBasics case, I decided to try one, after carefully judging the size of the My Passport Essential it mentioned (why are the inner sizes not explicitly given?) and reading the reviews. The fact that some reviewers tell us that their older MyPassport drives are too big for this case was an encouraging sign: I own some of those too and the Buffalo Ministation are definitely smaller!

It arrived quickly, and the Buffalos fit perfectly! Just some "wriggle" room left to the sides. Standard short cable fits nicely in the web compartment as well, it could easily accomodate two cables, or a few additional memory cards next to the cable, or so. The result is something you want to carry your external HD around in, or put it in a bag or a suitcase and feel safe. The inside is (orange) linen, the case is much like other "EVA hard cases" found on this Amazon site. No "steel" in it, but a reasonably hard and sturdy cover.

I'm a happy buyer, and I'm going to order three more today!
on 9 July 2014
I took a punt on this one as I wasn't sure if it would hold my 2TB My Passport Ultra drive which is a bit thicker than the Passport essential drives.

Luckily, it fits very nicely with enough room for the USB cable. Unlike some of the other cases I've used, the inside netted pocket is vertical as opposed to horizontal meaingn it's deeper so the cable won't fall out.

The case itself is fairly rigid and is as good as other cases I've bought in the past such as those made by Case Logic. If you hate the colour orange, you won't like this case as the inside is very bright, but I think it looks nice.

For the price, it's an excellent hard drive case.
VINE VOICEon 9 March 2011
Style Name: Passport Essential|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Not much to say here apart from it does exactly what it says on the tin. This is an excellent semi rigid case for a WD My Passport external HD drive, providing secure storage for the drive and a USB 2.0 cable. it's made of semi rigid fabric with a sturdy zip and has a really pleasant feel in the hand. I've used mine for a month or two now and found it hard wearing and perfect for life in the bottom of my laptop bag. Recommended
on 8 May 2014
This is quite a nice product really, for the price. I measured my Seagate WiFi hard drive, which is great for carrying around stuffed with entertainment. (So, I really need a case)

Amazon case is 13.2 x 3.8 x 10.5 cm and my Seagate is12.6 x 9.0 cm - result! I bought one.

In fact the EXTERNAL dimensions of the case are as stated - internally it is a LOT smaller! Now, if you are going to put something in it would it not make sense to give the INTERNAL dimensions - then we would all have been happy?

Amazon refund service is brilliant, but what a waste of effort all round.
on 7 February 2013
I bought a 2Tb Passport Feb 2013, and wanted some protection for the device as the archive on it may have to last quite some years.

I ordered this following a disspaintment with the WD Nomad Rugged Case. (read on)

(Unlike the Nomad) this has a lid that very usefully can easily contain the short USB3-USB2 lead that comes with the Passport in the nylon mesh 'bag' attatched to the lid.
The 2Tb Passport fits extremely well in the lower part and is restained by an easy to access elasticated band that is just the right tension. I thought the 1" width was a nice touch giving grip.

True this is made in China, but, well, its good.
Smooth zip, and I tugged a few bits and they felt like it was not a cheapo rubbish job.

Well I expect you want to know how the 2Tb Passport stands up to being dropped onto concrete floor in this.

No idea. I may not be the brightest button, but someone else can risk errors on their own Passport when they test it ... :-) however the case gave a medium plasticy feel, and just like a case I bought for my iPhone 3GS, I am expecting the thing to bounce it you drop it. I expect everything will be well protected. In terms of pressure, I'm sure it wont take my 12 stone.
Now read this....
I initially ordered (not surprisingly) the WD Nomad Rugged Case for My 2Tb Passport Hard Drive by Western Digital at £12.30, which turns out is a very tough case.
When it arrived, I wasn't too impressed by the simple flip catch, although the WD Nomad Rugged Case looks like it could take a tank on top.

I was therefore very surprised to find that the 2Tb Passport didn't actually fit... well, almost not. You've really got to close it to the point of overkill. It was just too tight around the Passport.

So bottom line. The Nomad should be fine on the slightly thinner 500gb WD but not in my view the 2Tb's.

Hope thats helpful
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 30 September 2014
I’ve bought a few items from Amazon Basics range to date and so far its been a wholly positive experience, so I had no hesitation in ordering this carry case for my new WD My Passport 1TB USB 3.0 High Capacity Portable Hard Drive for Mac - Silver.

Upon its arrival I noticed that it had been shipped in ‘frustration free’ packaging which was indeed frustration free. I had it open and in use within seconds. On initially feeling the case I was pleased with the strength of the hard shell and after examining the case stitching and general manufacturing quality I was wholly delighted.

This case fits my WD My Passport perfectly and I like the interior mesh pocket that holds the USB cable when it is not in use. In the pic I uploaded here you can see that I am backing up to my new drive with the drive sat safely inside the case. I then simply unplugged the USB cable and closed the case. Easy.

I feel totally happy with this case in every way, why pay more for a branded product when this case from Amazon Basics is just as good, if not better. Its certainly cheaper and I don’t mind cheaper at all as long as I am not compromising on quality and with this case there is no compromise whatsoever.

RECOMMENDED!
on 28 July 2014
After investing in a WD My Passport drive for my travels abroad, I decided that I needed a protective case to save it from the knocks encountered as it bounces around in my day sack. The reviews for the official WD case suggested that their official product was little more than a soft bag, hence not what I needed. I thought this Amazon Basics option would tick all the boxes:

Sturdy
Compact
Cost effective

Ordered at 1730 on a Monday evening, arrived Tuesday morning after 10 am. I love Prime! Anyway, after liberating it from the 'frustration free' packaging, I found it to be ideal and indeed, all the boxes were ticked.

The zip is strong and the double clam shell design is strong enough to protect the drive from bumps and thumps. Internally, on one side there is a horizontal strap to secure the drive in, and the other has a mesh insert to keep the cable secure separate. There is also plenty of room for adding extra memory sticks and cards inside.

Less than £5 to keep all my memory storage together and prevent it from damage. Bargain!
The AmazonBasics range is a series of products for every day items you use, which make them simpler to use, or just essentials like cases, stylus' or media. They're made to be frustration free, and easy for the end user to pick up and use. This case is both easy to use, and easy to open when you get it from your delivery outlet.

Straight from the post man, this case came in a usual Amazon package you'd get DVDs and books in. Inside the cardboard surround was a white bag, and inside that was a clear plastic bag protecting the case. It was all very easy to shed from, and I had access to the case within minutes.

The case is black and rather sturdy, it has a nice velvet touch to it, and has a smart Amazon Basics tag on the zip. Inside- we have Amazon's orange to store our precious drive in. One side just has an elasticated strap, the other a mesh. In the mesh, I put the USB cable, in the other part, the drive sits nicely and smugly. I have two cases, one for a WD Studio (Mac) and another for a 2TB drive, which is a lot bigger than this Studio. The both fit in nicely and stop the drive moving in transit.

One of the things I found about this is if you hit it, it makes a vibration, like it is balancing out the shake, of course I did this with no hard drive in the case, but it is good to know there is some safety measures put into this.

At under a tenner - this is very reasonable and very good value for money. Most of the cases I had before were under £20, and were nowhere as protected as this. This is yet another fine product from Amazon - it may be basic, but it's just what I needed for the drive, and will hopefully be using this for years to come.

An essential if you buy any pocket drive, no matter where you get it from.
review image