Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 28 September 2014
This is, in my opinion the weakest of this series, which is sad because you always hope for a strong finish.

Predictably, dodgy grammar and incorrect transposition of words remains a major problem, though not quite so bad as in 'The Heart of Matter', which remains the low point for editorial quality in this series.

As has been mentioned in other reviews, there is a whole chunk of 25-30% of this book that is entirely irrelevant to the main story, this is the section that the story starts with, set on earth during the alien invasion. It is far too long and seems solely designed to convince us that Eric Weston is not only the most brilliant ship captain since Drake and Nelson combined, but also the best ground commander ever. It is too long, repetitive and badly plotted.

Sadly, in a huge change in scope from the previous books which dealt in months and years, Out of the Black spends 90% of its time dealing with a single month and restricts itself almost exclusively to Earth and its solar system, in excruciating, repetitive detail. Hardly the deep space opera we have grown used to. The story flip flops repeatedly between who has the upper hand so many times that you just want it to be over. It feels as though Currie ran out of ideas and decided to drag out one chapter to fill an entire book.

Characters other than our glorious hero continue to make stupid decisions either to create plot points or it seems in an attempt to demonstrate how magnificent Weston is by comparison. Sadly it just breaks immersion and makes the story even more disjointed. This is most apparent when someone other than Weston is in charge and inexplicably forgets all about their most powerful weapon until it is almost too late. A slew of new supporting characters are introduced, and forgotten almost as quickly, begging the question, why bother?

This series is pure pulp sci-fi, easy reading, so the tedious drawn out ground war is doubly damning as it brings the entire story to a shuddering halt while adding nothing substantive in return. It goes from a story that move fast enough that you can generally ignore many of its flaws as it is quickly moving on to something new, to a story that seems content to wallow in a dead end. This story does not remotely flow, but rather leaves you feeling as though you slogged through an entire invasion yourself to reach the end.
on 3 November 2014
I'm going to have to say that I was disappointed. I've been avidly following this series and it's fascinating premise of where dd we come from, who the hell are the Prims and what is going on and none of that has been addressed here at all.

The last volume - The book is ok by itself, it's not great, would be an alright $1 or free read but against the backdrop of the previous books and the questions they posed I can only assume that Evan Currie simply didn't know how to explain it all and so didn't bother trying.

Really disappointing as for a while there I thought we were on the verge of something magnificent.
on 4 March 2015
This is a bit more disappointing when compared to the other books in the series. It offers - despite teasing it the whole time - no answers to the most obvious questions readers would have after reading the series, and it seems like it was only partially completed to be utilised as a lead in to the new spin off series.

Ignoring that, however, the book was quite enjoyable nonetheless. There are some worth-while mentions as to unexpected changes in character and writing style, but I still found the book pleasant to read at least.
on 17 March 2015
It has been some time since I enjoyed a series of books as much as I did this one. I had difficulties putting them down. The plot line was unusual, the characters believable and, as far as I coukd tell, the science sound. I have read other books by Mr Currie, but this is the best yet. I have preordered the next one.
on 8 February 2016
Badly written with the particularly bad aspects re-occuring.
I regret sticking with it, a waste of time and I should have abandoned it when it started to grate
Missed opportunity by the part time writter
It needed a literate editor to cut cut cut
on 10 October 2015
Engagingly written with perceptive insight into ways that we would really be likely to find aliens as alien and visa versa. I came across Evan Currie's writing as result of a promotion and have now greatly enjoying working through the whole of this series and started on another of his. I will post this same review on the rest of this series (and very similar for the other one) as the writing continues with the same skill and fresh ingenuity.
on 23 July 2014
As the title suggest this is book four of a series. I have read and enjoyed the other books and would suggest that it is worthwhile reading them in order. That said this book stands alone as a good read. The story moves along at a pace. As is normal in this genre the characters are stereo types but reasonably well drawn in spite of that. The author has introduce an element of the supernatural by introducing 'beings' which are, if I've understood correctly, the spiritual distillation of all life on the planet. I can understand why the author has done this because otherwise this part of the story is a rewrite of H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds. I'm just note sure that the story needed this element. Certainly it is not clear why this entity should be American. The positive aspect of Kindle downloads is that they are inexpensive and if you give the story a try and you don't like it is not a costly mistake. I think military Sci Fi buffs will enjoy this tightly written if not very original effort.
on 29 July 2014
Damn good series. I have been waiting for this final one for a while. In some respects this is the usual first contact with Earth military style naval engement. However, it is done well and has good charactorisation. Lots of sound ideas used here to keep the science believable.

This book does not finish the series cleanly and leaves the reader wanting the series to progress with some of the ideas with a follow up series, looking at saving the galaxy from the alien menace and the evil humans as well.

Good stuff. Worth the time to get into.

Luck
on 15 February 2015
Brilliant and Griping read. Sadly I arrived at the last page, tantalising hints of more to come with promise of deeper mysteries yet to be told. Sigh, I guess I can go back to looking out the window until book 5!
on 12 September 2015
This is another fast pace novel with plenty of action,what sets this series out from other science fiction novels is the timing ,most books set the futuristic scene and you get what you expect but these books are set just as humanity starts reaching into the stars,and the twist is they immediately meet a powerful enemy, and we only have a mixture of old and new tech to fight them with. A great book following a great series. Highly recommended.