Format: DVD|Change

on 17 April 2017
How an itty-bitty crop duster plane wins hearts,minds and...,races ?
I was 'tricked' into buying this DVD by the preview of a prop plane taking off from a battleship.
What I expected I didn't know,but it sure wasn't what followed.Good animation though.
I like the idea of mini forklifts being 'carried' over from the Cars movie,they're good minions,etc.
They certainly help sell how changes and maintenance 'occur' to machines.I guess they're here to stay.
The comic turns of the Mexican plane are very entertaining and reminded me of the film Despicable Me.
on 9 August 2014
Great film,
Funny,sad and family tv time,
We enjoyed it,rocky type film i call it
Fall down then become a national icon
Could of been more of a story line.
Maybe we should all try and do a film
From amazon experience reviews lol
on 3 April 2017
The kids love it. It's a lifesaver for those rainy sunday afternoons.
on 28 February 2016
VIDEO (3D):

Planes from Pixar/Disney flew onto blu ray with MPEG-4 MVC 1080p 1.78:1 encode. This digital 3D picture is superb, with a naturally dimensional appearance that enhances the sense of depth and perspective. The dimensional quality plays well to define the various positions of the planes during the race. The occasional negative parallax out-of-screen instances enhance the thrills. The colours are bold and vibrant. Contrast is excellent, with bold blacks and delineated shadows. Resolution is excellent and fine detail is exhibited throughout. This is an engaging and fun 3D experience that will thrill the entire family. (5/5)

VIDEO (2D):

Planes from Pixar/Disney flew onto blu ray with MPEG-4 AVC 1080p 1.78:1 encode. The transfer is pristine, with striking details and crisp edges. Colours are bright and vibrant, bathed in convincing light and shadow. Planes, being a spinoff from the beloved Cars series, may not be the prettiest Pixar sequel or spin-off, but it holds its own beautifully. (4.5/5)

AUDIO:

Planes has a DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio lossless track. Dialogue is crystal clear and perfectly prioritized. Bass is adequate with every engine chug and roar, propeller drone, and dive-bomb attack, making the most of the adventure's every racing sequence. Racers zoom seamlessly from one channel to the next, with the soundfield suitably enveloping. This is an adequate soundtrack, but not outstanding. (4.5/5)

TRIVIA:

Planes has an estimated budget of $50 million, but was a complete disappointment at the box office, grossing only around $90 million, which is far less than $549 million (Cars 2) and $454 million (Cars 1).

PACKAGING:

There is no 3D lenticular cover. The 3D BD-50 disc is stacked on top of the regular DVD disc. Common, Disney, a flipcase for each disc is not that much more expensive. There is absolutely nothing special in the packaging.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

The world of Cars takes flight in Planes, the Disney animated comedy. Although it was a major flop at the box office, Planes does have top notched video and audio. You also get some decent voice-acting from all involved, with random performers popping in throughout the film, including John Cleese, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Cedric the Entertainer, and Val Kilmer. I enjoyed the movie, but somehow it lacks the emotional involvement that pulls our heart-string, like Despicable Me 1. This is a movie for the entire family. All the kids will love it. The 3D version is preferred.
on 22 July 2014
Quick delivery. Two for the price of one, can't go wrong.
on 17 February 2015
Great entertainment for the whole family, an inspirational, and gripping underdog story. I kids watched this in the cinema and want to watch part of it every night since we got it. The animation in great, the story really makes this special.

Dusty Crophopper has high hopes of being a professional racer. Only two problems, one he is a crop duster, and two he is scared of heights. However on the plus side he is all heart and with the right trainer he might just shock the world.

Great family time movie. The only problem we have with this movie is while my kids are watching this they are so glued to the screen the forget about anything else like eating while they are watching it. To be watched over and over again.
on 22 April 2014
This animated film is really stunning,especially in the way it was researched in order to get the planes right in every way, but with a real sense of fun thrown in for good measure. The characters' voices real suit their characters and Disney has really captured the feeling of excitement with this film. I personally think that this film is suited to everyone including toddlers.
on 2 December 2014
My son loves this film.
When I first watched it, I thought it was an attempt to copy Disney's Cars, but I didn't think it was as good.
However my 2.5 year old son is mad about this film. He loves all the characters, the flying, and the songs.
After watching it with him a few times, I love it too!
My 6 year old daughter loves it too! 5 stars from us!
on 21 November 2014
I would give this a 2.5 star if it would let me. Didnt hold my daughters attention or myself for that matter. We enjoyed watching cars together but this was pretty much the same story line but with planes, so we were basically watching a film we fwlt we had already seen.
on 6 November 2016
Every guy, or the majority of guys, or at least many, and maybe some tomboys included, will remember having a fascination with cars when little, and so 'Cars', the animation, was always going to be a hit, with everyone, or at least with the guys and the children - some might say these two are often the same - but as for planes, they are a fascination that many people would have grown into, yet a less natural curiosity, and so 'Planes', the spin-off from 'Cars', with its own set of sequels, was always going to be lagging behind its predecessor on the popularity chart; however, it didn't disappoint, as the humour was great, and the adventure contained so many great ideas flying around that it was still thoroughly entertaining, and well worth a time-out to watch with the family. The length of the movie was quite short yet seemed the right amount of time. The animation, though not quite up to par when compared to some of the other Disney movies, was still okay, with some lovely background animation (if one noticed it behind the fast-moving action). The plot was the lost two stars, for me, as it simply followed a copycat storyline from (Disney-owned) Pixar's 'Cars', and was similar also, in the predictability-factor, to that of Dreamwork's 'Kung Fu Panda', making this film, in entirety, a surprise for children only. That said, its many fun aspects succeeded in winning my attention anyway, all the way to the finish line.