on 15 February 2015
The Spanish title maybe represent better this book. "Preparense para perder" means "Stay ready to lose" and that sums exactly the meaning of this book. In Madrid Mourinho seemed ready to face a defeat rather than risking to get a win, maybe because he knew he couldn't compete in sporting terms with Guardiola and Barça at the time. Although I haven't taken everything written for granted, I enjoyed the book. Obviously it portraits Mourinho as a bad coach, especially in tactical terms and that's not completely true. However most of the topics are quite interesting : the strong connection between the coach and Mendes (his agent and agent of many of portoguese players, especially those who play / played with Real Madrid), his mind-games and all the troubles Mourinho had with the dressing room and some of senior players (Ramos and Casillas above all else and even Cristiano Ronaldo) and member of club (Valdano, Zidane). As I said - the book has mostly a negative view on Mourinho but a part from few exagerations (I don't think he played Di Maria instead of Pedro Leon just because Di Maria is Mendes' player;) there are many interesting stories that explain why he didn't succeed in Spain.
3 people found this helpful
on 30 June 2014
If, like me, you've always thought Mourinho was an unpleasant, manipulative so-and-so, this book will, through excellently sourced quotes and examples confirm all your prejudices. If you have thought he's a great guy who brings out the best in his teams, it's also well worth a read if only to make you think about whether or not you're right.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 May 2014
What a very complex man Mourinho is. I am sure not everything is as clear cut as the author would have us believe, but the essence of his dark side is there for all to see. Who would have thought Arsenal have him to thank for the talent that is Özil!

An excellent read. I recommend it.
One person found this helpful
on 26 October 2016
I don't normally read biographies and especially football ones. However, this is a fascinating read for anyone who has a vague interest in football, or even no interest. I'm sure this is rather one-sided portrayal of the 'special one' however it is very amusing and often unbelievable.
on 20 July 2014
One of the best football books I have read, the author takes us into the heart of the Real Madrid changing room. What follows is jealousy, madness, paranoia and occasionally some good football. Do yourself a favour and buy this.
on 8 May 2014
A remarkable and detailed expose of Mourinho. Clearly, it is written from a preconceived slant and has to be assessed accordingly. But it is certainly true that we can understand the man more for having read this work. Would that Diego Torres had written a behind the scenes account of Sir Alex. Now that would have been compulsive ......
One person found this helpful
on 3 February 2015
Another well received Christmas present for a grandson, which was also much appreciated by his dad. I'm going to be allowed to read when they've finished with it.
on 25 November 2016
I haven't read it yet, bought for my brother who I know will love it.
on 26 September 2014
A very well researched book that takes you into the mind of the Special One. Will be interesting to see if he changes his tact this time around at Chelsea
on 13 May 2014
A fabulous insight into Mourinho. Too often he is glamorised by the media and made out to be a tactical genius and man manager. This book destroys that myth and shows us the true face behind the mask. A great read!