Top positive review
One person found this helpful
ARTpop - Very Underrated!
on 27 February 2017
Okay so this is an honest review of Lady Gaga's ARTPOP. After owning her previous albums, The Fame, " " monster and Born this way, I never actually bought Artpop or listened to any of the tracks other than Applause. I didn't really like Applause when I first heard it and usually when I don't like the lead single, I don't buy the album, but now 4 years after it's release I'm writing this review after falling in love with the album. Okay, you're probably confused to why I chose to revisit Artpop. Well I actually didn't, I heard Aura playing on a video and liked the song. After finding out it was from ARTPOP it made me curious about the album, prompting me to buy the album. Literally the best decision I've made. Though the tracks aren't as strong as Gagas past work they are still quality tracks and as a whole I do prefer this album. I find myself now with Gagas older albums, just listening to the charted singles (poker face, Judas etc.) But with ARTPOP, its full of underrated gems! The album makes me want to dance, party and just have fun!
1. Aura - 9/10 - Great opener to the album, feels and sounds like a sequel to Telephone. I loved the chorus and "I killed my former and/ Left her in a trunk on highway 10" is one of the best album openers ever!
2. Venus - 10/10 - This sounds like the Gaga I love! I feel as though this track is a homage to David Bowie, I love the futuristic sound of the song.
3. G.U.Y. - 7/10 - Instant reminder of the Fame era. The lyrics are dominant and overpowering but it's a shame the music is actually quite boring.
4. Sexxx Dreams - 1000/10 - I adore this track! At first I judged it on the title and thought I'd instantly hate it. But that chorus! I fell in love, the song is erotic and sexy and better than the likes of Nicki Minajs and Rihanna's attempts to sing about sex. This song has been on repeat!
5. Jewels N' Drugs - Lady Gaga, T.I., Too $hort, Twista - 5/10 - There has to be a weak track on the album and it's Jewels an' Drugs. It sounds unfinished and the features don't sound like they're part of the song, it just feels as a whole unfinished.
6. MANiCURE - 9/10 - Back to the real Gaga! As soon as you hear "Put some lipstick on," you know that Gaga's comfortably back in her ARTPOP element.
7. Do What U Want - Lady Gaga, R. Kelly - 8/10 - Gagas best collaboration! The pulsing synth beat is spot on, and, much like "G.U.Y.," the lyrics play with sexual dominance but with a better beat! So far this album is very strong!
8. ARTPOP - 6/10 - I did enjoy this track but it's in the wrong place. This album makes me want to dance but this track just feels like it drags and is quite boring.
9. Swine - 1000/10 - My other favourite on the album! I cannot decide a favourite between this and Sexxx Dreams. One of the standout tracks of the whole album. When she sings "You're so disgusting" it really feels like she's firing all her rage at you.
10. Donatella - 7/10 - "I'm blonde, I'm skinny, I'm rich, and I'm a little bit of a bitch." Same Gaga! Well except the blonde and rich part. This is a nice song, pretty straightforward, I couldn't see it being someone's favourite on the album but it's a fun song.
11. Fashion! - 8/10 - Another homage to David Bowie. I love this track for exactly that. Though I'm certain the beat sounds like Madonna's Holiday. Anyway this track is great!
12. Mary Jane Holland - 5/10 - Another track that feels unfinished, I feel as though there should have been a deluxe with this track part of that. I enjoyed it, just it's like it doesn't know what kind of song it is.
13. Dope - 7/10 - Purely for Gaga's voice! But there's just something about this track that makes me keep returning to it.
14. Gypsy - 7/10 - Very catchy, great beat. Reminds me of Bad Romance. Not a massive fan of the lyrics though.
15. Applause - 7/10 - Okay, this was the first song I listened to off Artpop back in 2013 and made me decide I didn't want this album. But after listening to the album as a whole, I found myself enjoying this song more, it took four years to grow on me.
Overall I have given this album 4 stars. I would have given it 4.5 but I can't and it isn't exactly 5 stars. Sexxx Dreams and Swine are two of my favourite songs from Gagas Career! I have not stopped repeating Sexxx Dreams since listening to the album. This album definitely is underrated and judged very harshly and I'm annoyed at myself for not listening to this back in 2013. If your contemplating buying this album, honestly I'd buy it and judge the album yourself. Though I don't think you'd resist dancing!