on 14 May 2014
A great printer, so much more eco friendly then my last in terms of ink. Fast printing for documents, superb detail for scanning both for colour and black and white, but the best is the speed and quality of photo print all shapes and sizes. I won't lie to you, but ink is drunk at an alarming rate, but the quality of photo print is exceptional and well worth it. I am being harsh here as I do print A4 and A5 both colour and black and white, so, inevitably ink will run out sooner. Bought the XL ink replacements, fantastic.

Only downside is the noise and time it seems to take in firing up and getting on with the job. it seems to do its thing, then when you think its going to print again, does it thing all over again..........
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 December 2013
Prompt delivery.. quicker than what was promised.
Decent package- no unnecessary extra cardboard.
Good looks- have left it in my hall under my TV and still doesn't look out of place.
Easy installation.Connected to the wi-fi on second attempt- which i think is good.
Connected to the iPad and iPhone 3Gs & 5 well.
Decent print quality.( my prev brother printer which still works absolutely fine was mono laser & i needed a color all in one)
Automatic double side printing is good...
The rubber housing on the base are sticky and add to the stability of the printer.

Now for things that i dont like.
On a standby will not wake up for a command from Air print, you have to wake it up and then works well.
Print speed is slower than claimed.
I cant get it to print in grey scale from the wireless devices inspite of the default settings being Grey scale print.
More noisy than expected.
The paper tray is outside and a bit too delicate .. it see it breaking very soon.
The reception tray following the print is inadequate in length and paper keeps falling of it.
on 15 December 2013
I bought this printer for a good price during the 'black Friday sales' because of the good reviews on PC Pro [and elsewhere]. I wished I hadn't bothered as it is quite frustrating compared to my previous Pixma:

Positives:
1. Print quality is good on this printer although takes a second or two to dry on some sheets so be careful not to touch them too soon or it will smudge! [Of course does depend on paper and settings etc.]
2. UK and European power supply cable provided.
3. Easy to set up [apart from the software - see below].
4. Print duplexing.
5. Wi-Fi connectivity [although not set mine up as yet...will update if there are problems].
6. Basic card reader.
7. Quiet scanning, but a bit noisy on return to start position.

Negatives:
1. Software that comes with the printer does not work out of the box as it does not recognise IE 10 or 11 only 9 and before.....this for a printer that came out this year!!!!! Had to download from their web site - the UK one is not so user friendly as the European or US version too!
2. No Back feeder for paper - only an under tray. Here you have to use the page you are printing on facing upside down! Easily forgotten and results in wasted sheets!
3. Does print duplexing but NOT on A5 paper....NOT GOOD!
4. Takes ages sometimes to set up before the first print starts.
5. Very noisy printer too especially during the 'warming up cycle'!
6. No USB cable supplied. [like a lot these days] so had to use my old one.
7. You have to keep pulling tray out and realign arrows before printing as it does not hold that many sheets. I can see this breaking with some people!
8. Feels very cheap and 'plasticky' not the 'build to last' quality of old.

Overall...it does the job, but more frustrating than any other printer before.

Update March 2015!

Machine does not pick up paper all the time even though it is correctly aligned.
Does not like card [when more than 1 in tray] as does not print correctly, the same with 80gms paper too!
Had to do sheets one at a time.

Worst printer I have EVER had! DO NOT BUY!

Downgraded rating to 1 star [from 3]
22 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Good features, including AirPrint, built in WiFi, scanner. Uses 6 separate inks for economic replacement. Automaticallt recognised by Windows 8 but you will benefit from installing the supplied drivers which let you scan rfom the device and send to your PC automatically, rather than having to dash between PC and printer when scanning.

ON the down-side, the paper storage and handling is disappointing with the paper cartridge sitting proud and exposed beyond the body of the printer making it's actual footprint on your desk bigger than you think. It also feels cheap and plasticky, with worring wobbles and flimsy hinges. I'm not sure it will last too long.

If you can afford the few pounds extra, I'd recommend the MG7150 which has the same software and features plus two internal paper trays, one to handle A4 and another for photo-sized paper and is overall of a much more robust construction.
on 24 December 2013
The ability to use cloud printing is spoilt by the fact that there is only one paper tray. So if you want to print a photo from your mobile for example and the printer has A4 paper in the tray then it will not print. Rather defeats the object of cloud printing
When I ordered this I assumed from the description that there were two paper trays, as there was with my previous Canon.
When paper is loaded you cannot close the front of printer, so if you like your printer to be tidy you have to remove paper, then of course it will not work again until you load some paper.
All rather frustrating considering the price paid.
I cannot recommend.
on 17 November 2013
The printer everyone should have been waiting for; easy to set up; excellent quality photo printing and copying; only downside the same with all printers - not much ink in the original cartridges.
on 14 August 2014
This is the best all in one printer I have ever had.It is fast both in printing and scanning,connects easily to my pad and phone,can use both wfi and usb.
Takes thicker papers than most other machines in this price bracket,in fact I could not find any other that printed the papers I wanted.Have found no "cons" with it at all.
on 10 March 2014
We've been using it for several months now - a good time to judge it. Colours are good, print quality excellent and it's simple to use. It also looks good if you want it in sight. Would recommend.
on 3 March 2015
At first it seemed OK then it wasn't. It stopped wanting to load paper - totally infuriating. Annoyingly this happened just after the 28 day returns window and Amazon said I had to deal with Canon. I didn't want to have to pay to send it back to Canon so as a last resort I picked the bloomin thing up, turned it over and gave it a good shake. Bingo! I don't know what I did but it worked, touch wood it will stay working. I'm glad I paid so little for it, the build quality is rather flimsy and the noise and shaking it does when it's working is ridiculous. But scans are good and the print quality is excellent so now it's back working I'm happy - I would not be if I had paid anything near the RRP.
on 26 November 2013
Works as described. Had some issues connecting with my local wifi but the Canon support were very quick to respond. Their solution to restart my wifi router did the trick.