on 22 February 2014
Having used McFee on computer and laptops for a few years my thoughts on receiving my first tablet recently was to purchase
McFee mobile security through Amazon as usual. On receiving card I set about installing it only to have the registration code come up as invalid after re entering it a few times and getting nowhere I discovered card was dated 2013 (purchased Feb2014) as I worry about security I quickly purchased an online card from another company
Very disappointed with Amazon which is unusual for me as a rule I am usually happy with products bought through them

Have increased rating to four star not because of product but because seller has been very good in trying to solve problem which it appears to have be on McaFee side. As stated on other reviews on here installation is a nightmare but as I found in the pass McaFee is well known reliable product
on 13 October 2014
arrived on time great price for a much needed item good reliable name too,thanks
on 28 August 2014
Installation. Was a bit long because you have to get the link from a piece of paper than download the software,
on 11 February 2014
McAfee Mobile Security seems like a great product and there is a free trial version that lasts 14 days. After that you need to buy a license for a year. On the McAfee website, Mobile Security licenses sell for three devices, but Amazon sell single licenses. Unfortunately the Amazon product description does not state this is a single device license. Otherwise this review would be 5*.

The on-line chat technical support from McAfee was good helping me through the installation and confusion over single vs three device licenses.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've never been certain whether antivirus or internet security packages are essential for android phones and tablets until, while surfing, I received a suspicious pop-up stating my tablet had a virus, but it might have been a hoax or activated by clicking on the 'OK' button (which I didn't). It made me think there might be a potential risk so I ordered this as 'insurance'.

Installation took a while: first go to the address on the card inside the pack, set up an account, follow a link in the confirmation email to download the program, follow the link which directs to the Google Play store to download a program which looks very similar to the free version of McAfee, download, install, open then go back to my account, validate it with a code scribbled onto paper then, hey-ho, it's time to go. It wasn't a swift process and I wasn't encouraged initially - but this was soon to change.

Following installation I was first asked to create a 6-digit pin to locate, lock or wipe the tablet should it be lost or stolen.

The next step was to enable 'Administrator mode' after which it became much more user-friendly with a security scan screen just like on a PC along with update, privacy (set privacy settings for apps to ensure not accidentally sharing too much data such as email address, phone number and your location) and a web security feature.

Having worked through the tedious installation process, Mobile Security now appears to be quite a functional and worthwhile package - scans for viruses and threats, scans apps and has a backup feature - which backs up data onto a secure McAfee site. It very quickly backed up my 208 contacts in 20 seconds via wifi followed by my stored photos and video - this feature is excellent. This will be particularly useful when I'm away traveling and don't have a hard drive onto which to make backups,.

The 'lock' facility is potentially very useful - if my tablet were lost I could simply log onto my McAfee account and locate it (assuming location services are enabled), lock it or wipe all data from it. I hope I never have need to use this however but with personal data inevitably stored, it's reassuring to know that in the wrong hands, my data couldn't be abused. (Some features however, such as sending a text message, will only work with a tablet with phone capability.)

Following my virus 'scare', the full scan took a mere 8 minutes and didn't pick up anything relating to the message I'd had so I assume it was a hoax.

Mobile Security works very well and even though I still not 100% convinced it is essential, it has provided peace of mind at a low price without affecting performance in any way, and I'm very happy with it.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
McAfee Mobile Security (PC/Android)

What is it.
This is a comprehensive anti-virus and Malware solution suite for Android phones and tablets.

The pack I have was just an information pack with a login key to download the product. I needed this on my Kindle Fire HD as I do use it a lot on the web and have always worried about security.
To install this I had to go to the McAfee site via my Kindle and log in using the supplied code on the pack. It did take a long time to recognise it but when it did the software was downloaded in one go and was scanning my system within 20 minutes of logging into McAfee.

In use.
I have run a scan and it found 7 Malware items and since running this my Kindle seems a little faster and stable. The Malware was advertising stuff which is generally harmless but can clog up a system with repeated requests.You can basically set and forget it but it does offer reassurance that if something tries to get in and mess up my files I now have a defence system in place.

As far as I can see Android does not seem to be attacked too much by viruses and Malware but give them time and I am sure it will happen so this software is necessary. It works well and offers some reassurance.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I guess first I should say that I'm not sure how much of a problem virus and other security risks are to Android. If the risk is extreme then one more star should be added.

On other issues, installation was a real pain. I must have had a McAfee account in the distant past and the software was determined that I use this and would not let me set up a new one despite using a variety of e-mail addresses! Eventually I managed to get a new password for my old account but the process was opaque to say the least. Then the product needs to be registered and the website you are directed to seems to bear no relation to registration but focusses on selling you other products. The fact that you have purchased this product already and wish to use it seems of lesser concern to McAfee!

After much frustration my registration was finally accepted and the software appears to run OK. Note it, as you'd expect, is always on so will use system resources. On scanning, then or since, no actual risks were found, which may speak to my first point about how necessary the software is. The only alert I've had is for Evernote which is software that most tablet or phone users will use. McAfee's database seems not to realise this.

It is important to remember that you get a 2014 version of the software for one device - hardly generous and what happens in 2015... I'm not sure I could face a new installation anyway.

Overall you're buying peace of mind but I struggle to recommend the software.
VINE VOICEon 14 May 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
McAfee Mobile Security PC/Android (not sure what the"PC" functions are - I couldn't find any) installed easily and when it was running consumed little power. The interface was very clunky and poorly designed and it took me a while to get the hang of it.

There is an ongoing debate as the whether any form of security like this is necessary at all. Google think not and say it's just the vendors trying to drum up business.

There are at least 8 other well known companies that offer the functionality of this software for free, and I just can't see a single reason for buying it. I will be removing from my tablet and going back to Avast.
VINE VOICEon 10 July 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
While I know it isn't actually necessary given Google's policing of the Play Store, I still like to have antivirus on my phone for some reason. I've tried out quite a few in the last couple of years including AVG, AVAST and Norton before coming to McAfee. While all have their merits, I have been decidedly unwhelmed by McAfee's offering in the month that I've been using it.

Firstly, it was a serious pain to get this installed and logged in properly - for some reason you have to log the account with McAfee online first, then download the app through the link they provide, instead of doing the simple process of installing from the Play Store and inputting a code to give you access. Annoyingly that meant that if I tried to actually log in to the app to allow the 'find device' function, it immediately reset the account forcing me to uninstall and download from their stupid link again.

Having finally got it to allow me to access the account without resetting, I noticed that, despite being a paid license for the app, the app itself seems to offer less functions than other apps offer for free. Notably, while it does have a 'blocked call' function, there is no block sms function that I can find, despite having used this option in the free versions of Avast and AVG.

Additionally, unlike most of the other security apps I've tried, this one takes up a lot more battery life. I rarely noticed battery drain when using the likes of Avast or AVG, even when they were actively scanning, but McAfee have managed to make an app that regularly appears in the top 5 battery users on my phone.

The one redeeming feature is that it did catch a dodgy app I deliberately downloaded to test it, but that isn't good enough to warrant spending money on this, because every other security app I've tried also picked it up, and performed much better in almost every other area.
VINE VOICEon 28 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having used MacAfee and avg security for PC and laptops for many years thought I better get some protection for android tablet,this product fitted the bill,it comes as a card with an activation code to download the program,this led to a problem as the listed website takes you to the American.com site and not a .co.uk which means you get a site showing USA products and prices in dollars and nothing to do with the mobile version at all had to contact MacAfee customer service to get access to the download site as the listed one was currently down. Not the best of starts but that aside when loaded up it will run in the background with little or no input required from the user so far so good