on 27 January 2014
Pros:

(1) the unit appears to print OK, including double sided. Eventually, it was possible to print OK from all of Macs, Windows PCs and an iPad.

(2) the supplier, Luzern, have been perfectly helpful and would have taken the unit back if I'd insisted.

Cons:

(1) The network setup was truly terrible (and by the way, I'm pretty expert at computer networks). There's no hard-wired Ethernet, so you have to use WiFi. The manual had large numbers of options cross-referenced from page to page in a way that didn't make sense. The supplied software did not work on the current version of OS X; the website made it difficult to figure out what versions of which packages to download; when I found the right packages to download, these suffered from a series of incomprehensible error messages, eventually solved by multiple reboots and a firmware upgrade.

(2) Brother's phone support is only in office hours, so I strongly suggest not buying this for home if you work during the week. The Brother people are perfectly pleasant when you speak to them - but fact is, I can't call them at a time when I'm near the printer, and their guessed advice (after two weeks of email exchanges) has not been helpful.

(3) At the end of it all, it's not been possible to make the scanner operate from the push buttons. The error messages make no sense: a message "Check the I/F cable connection between the device and your computer" when there is no cable connection because I'm using Wi Fi.

The only reasons I'm sticking with this is that I just can't stand the thought of even more hours of network setup on something else.
on 9 October 2014
Had it for about a month, everytime I try and use it I have to troubleshoot because I have an error message - nearly always to do with the connection.

I wanted a wifi printer - but now I regret it. I am perfectly competent at day to day computer tasks - but when i have to start changing IP addresses from dynamic to static, and re-installing drivers - and the support that comes with it is not user friendly. Most of the error messages are not even listed in the troubleshooting help (e.g. check connection!)

I'm sure its a very whizzy printer/scanner etc but if you haven't got good technological knowledge and the time/patience to work out how to make it work then avoid.
on 11 November 2014
Good printer, cheap ink but mine frequently suffers from paper jams. The manual gives advise, but I still find it very annoying & am not sure what to do!
on 1 March 2015
Super printer with duplex printing and automatic Document feeder (What I really needed).
VERY disappointed with supplied ink cartridges - only managed to print out 3 "mixed" colour and black A4 pages before black ink empty.
Usual supplier of original inkjet cartridges not supplying them yet as a "new" printer. (Their words)

Stuart Dashwood
on 8 July 2015
PROS:
1. The Brother printer uses three colour ink cartridges, so if one colour runs out, I just need to change that colour, making it cost efficient.
2. The printer scans to all the formats I require, including PDF, BMP and JPG.
3. Delivery was made less than 24 hours after placing the order.

CONS:
1. Brother does not include the USB cable, which needs to be ordered separately. That is not such a big issue since this is a wifi printer, but having that option available would be nice.
2. I use the scanning feature a lot to scan photos to my computer, but this model does not give a reading of the dimensions of the cropping. In other words, when I drag the horizontal and vertical lines for cropping, older models would tell me the dimensions I am cropping to (e.g. 968X1136), but this one doesn't. It would be helpful if all cropping could be done to the exact same size.
on 5 October 2014
Strangely, I had trouble connecting it with a cable but got it connected through Wi-Fi. Works just as wel as the last Brother printer that I had.
on 12 May 2015
When I had HP all-in-one devices, I had so many problems getting the scanner to work. This one makes it easy. It will scan to your computer as PDF and open up the containing folder so that you can find it. You don't have to be a software engineer to figure out your device!

This product also works with the Linux OS.
on 3 March 2014
It's a bit higher end and expensive than lesser printers but the extra money is evident in its construction

Prints fast to and is easy to connect to the network (Bt home Hub 4)
on 15 February 2014
Compact Four in One MFC with pleasing performance levels. Particularly like the built in paper tray. Saves desk space. Recommended.
on 22 April 2015