Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

So I ended up reading You're the One That I Want a lot sooner than I had originally planned to - mainly because Jess from Jess Hearts Books mentioned in one of her posts that she absolutely loved it, and that was all the motivation I needed to drop everything else I was reading and pick it up. I can't even begin to express how much I loved this book. It was one of those books that kept me up late (even though I had work early the next morning, but I didn't really care) and had me sobbing at the end. And I mean really sobbing, like shoulder-shaking sobs. There were a few moments when I actually had to put the book down and try to stop myself crying.

I'd expected You're the One That I Want to be emotional because it follows three childhood best friends who've grown up and done everything together, and both guys are in love with the girl. But I never expected it to be as emotional as it was. My feeling were all over the place throughout the book and I honestly didn't know who I wanted Maddy to end up with. Both guys had their flaws and their perfect moments, and they were both perfect for Maddy, so my heart was torn.

It follows our three characters (and best friends) Ben, Rob and Maddy as they grow up. Parts of Maddy and Rob's wedding day and the speeches are interspersed throughout the story which added a lot to the story for me and made it even more emotional.

Please don't read the synopsis of this book and go 'Another love triangle?' because I can promise you that you've never read a love triangle quite like this one. This love triangle packs a punch and had me in constant tears. The bond between these three best friends is so strong and so real because all three of these characters care for each other deeply.

Ben fell for Maddy the second he first set eyes on her. He's in love with her but is too scared to admit his feelings in case it changes everything. But on a school trip to Paris when Ben has finally worked up the nerve to tell Maddy about his feelings, Rob realises he likes Maddy and makes his move. Now not only does Ben have to struggle with his feelings for Maddy, he has to see the girl he loves and his best friend together.

I honestly didn't envy Maddy for one second. She has these two amazing friends who both love her, but who both have their flaws, and she has to choose between them. And it's not even that straight forward. There's a hell of a lot that goes on in this book that Maddy has to work through to find out where her heart truly lies and not lose a best friend while she's doing it.

Ben completely stole my heart and I was rooting for him throughout the whole book. I loved Rob too, but Ben was the one who captured me. He's such a sensitive, caring, sweet and lovable character. My heart was breaking for him throughout most of the book, but I was also really happy for Rob. It was all so confusing and emotional.

I loved seeing the journey these three friends went on. From being young kids who ran around climbing trees, to teenagers and their first loves. From independent young adults on their way to university, to adults trying to work out what they want in life. There wasn't a single part of this story that I didn't love and getting to follow Ben, Rob and Maddy on their journey was amazing.

Honestly, I think I sobbed through like the last 5 or so chapters of this book because it got way more emotional at the end. After getting to the epilogue I realise that the way everything turned out was meant to be. The epilogue was perfect and such an emotional end. But that didn't stop those 3 little squeezes at the end from ripping my heart out.

Overall, You're The One That I Want was such a beautiful story about friendship, love and all the emotional turmoil that comes with it. You're The One That I Want is one of the best books I've read in a long time and I'm sure it'll always be a favourite of mine.
on 15 December 2014
This was my first time reading a book by this author.

Being a fan of "easy reading" when my brain needs a break, I enjoyed this - for the most part. The interchanging of story-telling all throughout, for the most part, was well done although at times I found myself thinking "he's already told us his viewpoint, and perhaps without meaning to, it's pretty obvious what her viewpoint is on this situation through her eyes" - after all, many characters in books are nothing if not predicatable.

I did find it intriguing that we had three main characters, but seemingly only two stories being told. The "tripod" - two boys and one girl who grow up from age nine as best friends and remain that way through teen years, college, and later life. However of course the question rises - who will end up with whom, and why?

The ending - for me - a little poor, a little obvious, no surprise, which I do enjoy at the end of these kind of tales, and I was actually expecting a twist turn, which for me, did not come. However that said, this was a nice book to sit down and relax with. Would recommend for anyone looking for light reading.
on 1 June 2014
I pre-ordered this book a while before it was released having enjoyed Giovanna Fletcher's first book "Billie & Me". I follow Gi on twitter and i love how she interacts with her readers and you really see her conceive, grow and "give birth to" her books (at the same time as growing a human inside her!)

I thought the book would be a light holiday read but actually it was very thought provoking and to echo the thoughts of another reviewer, you feel like you are part of their gang. Gi writes the characters when they are younger very well and it brought back warm childhood memories for me reading it. It took me a while to realise that bits of Robert's wedding speech were in between certain chapters but once i did, they were an enjoyable addition.

I won't spoil any of it for anyone but it did keep me on the edge of my seat - there were so many possible twists but in the end i am glad that Gi "chose her love story and stuck to it". I had seen some retweets on twitter of her followers saying they were either team Rob or Team Ben and i have to say i flitted between the two, even being team Maddy at one point. In the end, i decided i was team tripod! :-) I loved the few racy bits - not too 50 shades and not omitted either. perfect. I also liked the added bits about the onesies and i think Gi reflected a bit of her and Tom's friendship/relationship in her writing. Like most people, i cried - but not at the end like i expected!

I can't wait for the next book. Fully recommended.
on 28 May 2014
Firstly thank you to Katie at Penguin and Giovanna for sending me a copy of You're The One that I Want to review and for asking me to be part of the blog tour. You can see the blog tour with exclusive content by visiting the blog.

This is Giovanna's second novel, after her debut Billy and Me was widely received by readers in the ChickLit world.

You're The One that I Want is all about Maddy and her two best friends, Robert and Ben. We first meet Maddy on the day of her wedding to Robert and we are given an insight then as to the relationship the trio have and what the story might hold for them.

Immediately after that first scene we are seamlessly transported back in time to hear from both Maddy and Ben right from the first time they met at 6 years old. The rest of the story is told chronologically from their first meeting right up until we re-join them at the altar.

I enjoyed the dual POV as this is one thing I really like in a story, particularly when the second narrative is from the guy in the story! I think it was important to have the narrative from more than just Maddy in any case to build up and portray the connection she feels to both of her best friends. There were a few moments during these past scenes where there may be some confusion around whether the narrative is being told first hand or being remembered by the character but I don't think it was significant enough to detract from the story overall.

Having been taken on a journey throughout the character’s lives, as a reader, you feel like you know them quite well with the exception of Robert as you only really see him through either Ben or Maddy's narrative. There are some passages in the book were the narrator is unidentified but as the story progresses you become aware of who it might be and the significance of these short sections to the plot.

Going into the story I thought I knew what the ending was going to be but in reality after finishing the story it turned out I was wrong in my prediction. The storyline is structured well to allow the plot to develop at a steady pace throughout. This book will be perfect for ChickLit fans who enjoy a dual POV and who also enjoy a bit of suspense throughout.
on 11 June 2016
It took a bit longer to get into this book with the telling of each main characters story. Stick with it because it gets very good. However the ending smacked to me of the end of harry potter at the train station so it lost something in that moment from this young writer. It's a nice read and I did enjoy it but could have been a little better.
on 5 June 2014
Firstly, I'd like to say that I loved Billy and Me. It had me completely hooked and invested.

You're The One That I Want is easy to follow and the characters are realistic.

The two main POV are a lovely idea - particularly that we only really get to know Robert through the eyes of Ben and Maddy... But I didn't feel there was much narrative change between Ben and Maddy. They both had the same style of writing, which lead me to have to double check who was speaking on several occasions. Maybe it's just down to an intentional similarity in those characters, because I think if Robert had had his own chapters, this would have been remedied. (Although that would have taken away the silent understanding you get of Robert and his feelings and decisions) - which was a lovely thing.

I didnt feel much sympathy or empathy for Ben. You could say that I am just Team Rob, but to be honest I missed the confusion of liking both characters. That's probably a personal preference though.

Also the repetition at the end wasn't necessary. Those pages could have been used to explore the wedding day further, rather than a direct repeat of the beginning of the book. Same with the Ben chapter that follows.

I did enjoy the book, all in all. I was just disappointed that after Billy and Me, this book felt a bit rushed... A bit in need of another draft. Maybe that's just second book syndrome. Or maybe it's just personal preference for what I think could have been done.

I shall await the next book :) I'm sure it will blow this one out of the water, and be back to the standards of Billy and Me.
on 2 July 2014
You’re The One That I Want is Giovanna Fletcher’s second novel and I loved Billy and Me, so I couldn’t wait to get started on this story. I was so happy when this book arrived at my doorstep.

The story follows Maddy, who is about to get married to her childhood sweetheart Robert. Next to Robert at the end of the aisle, there is Ben, the best man and their best friend. Maddy is in love with Robert, but the thing is she also loves Ben, did she make the right decision?

The story gets back to their childhood, starting from the moment they have met and as a reader we can dive into their past, reading about how the three of them got to know each other.
We get to read the whole thing from Maddy’s and also Ben’s perspective and it was great to have them both being able to express their feelings. I felt really close to them both and Robert wasn’t left out at all, we also get to learn a lot more about him as well.

As the story develops they grow older and the topic of first loves comes up. Ben has been in love with Maddy for a long time, but then in Paris it’s Robert who kisses her and they develop a sweet and adorable relationship.
When it’s time to go to colleague Ben and Maddy go to Bristol and Robert ends up in Nottingham. Robert ends doing a big mistake and that’s where Ben is finally honest about his feelings, but will that change anything.
After that the story developed in a surprising way for me, but that made the story even more interesting and gripping. What will Maddy do about her feelings and will all three of them find their happiness somehow? The epilogue gives a cute and adorable answer to that, but getting there was full of real emotions. I just wanted all three of them to find their happily ever after…

The one thing I liked the most about this book was the friendship between Ben, Maddy and Robert. Everybody deserves friends like that, just wanting the best for each other. They always had a true connection.

So now, Team Ben or Team Robert. I have to say Team Ben all the way from the start, he’s perfect, loyal, caring, sweet and a little shy, but he’s a guy every girl dreams off. I got a bit annoyed with his behaviour at one point, but I understood why he was doing it. Towards the end of the book I got to like Robert more and more as well, I took a while though, so def Team Ben.

So Giovanna did it again, well done fabulous lady! Her writing is just beautiful and with such a clear narrative voice. The characters were developed in such a great way and I just couldn’t put this book down!!!
on 14 July 2016
Lovely story of three friends who have all grown up together and how things could have developed differently . Nice escapism , characters that you fall in love with . Written well from each of the characters perspectives
on 9 June 2014
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the plot of the book but the level of teenage angst was a bit much. I really liked the first book Fletcher wrote as it seemed more of an adults book but this I would classify as teen fiction, which isn't really for me.
on 16 March 2016
Absolutely everything a love triangle should be. There were a couple of places the dialogue between teenage boys seemed a little feminine but all in all well written, beautifully thought out and the suspense was killing me throughout!