on 20 September 2014
This is a great little prequel to Dean Koontz's Innocence. It's a fairly self contained little story.

Addison was born different, his mother could hardly care to be around him and he spent most of his time living in the wilderness outside. He's only eight years old, but find himself trying to run away from a hunter. It's the story on the start in life he's had and his views on how he looks and how people react when they see him.

It's very sad to read about a child being treated like that by his mother, and the hunter and possibly other people he may come across in his life.

At only 32 pages, it's very short, mealy an introduction to help to get to know Addison. In my opinion it's worth reading before you read Innocence, but as I've not read Innocence yet, that opinion may change.

It's only cheap, pick it up and give it a quick read, it won't hurt.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 4 November 2013
If this short story is a sneak preview and foretaste of Adrian Goodheart's challenges to come, then Dean Koontz's Innocence is even more anticipated. The contents of this interesting offering reveal Adrian as accepting he is different in appearance, but in what way, and is the wilderness in his heart as well as in his surroundings? Cannot wait for the elaboration to begin.
on 17 December 2013
This preview, which is what it is, in the guise of a short story is a fab little piece of writing. While it is fairly self contained I can also see what a great companion piece it will be for the forth-coming novel Innocence. I doubt not reading this will effect your enjoyment of the novel, but this little teaser will certainly whet your appetite.
I decided to read this after a long hiatus from Koontz's novels, having been an avid fan about 10 years ago, and what I was reminded of straight away was how brilliantly he sets up a mystery and how delicately he can ramp up the tension. Like any writer of his longevity and calibre, novel writing must take on a slightly production line-esque quality, yet this short story still felt as fresh and vivid as the opening of Lightening, the first of his books to really hook me in.
Great read.
on 5 November 2013
This is a mystery to be continued. We never are told what exactly makes this 8 year old boy so repulsive that even his mother rejects his presence in her home from time to time, banishing him to the wild and leaving food outside for him. Who is the man hunting him, and why?
This is such an unusual story that it invites the reader to buy the next instalment.
on 14 May 2016
It's some years since I picked up a Dean Koontz book but I really enjoyed this all t too short story. It's Dean doing what he does best - building inner tension then opening up a ending that just blows you away.
VINE VOICEon 11 November 2013
This is a preview for Koontz's up and coming novel. His writing is sparkles and builds up the tension with his usual finesse. The tale begins with an 8 year old who is cruelly abused verbally by his mother who has taken him to live far away from civilisation in a forest, supposedly because he is so monstrous looking, where he has never come into contact with any other human being but his mother during his entire life. Out exploring he encounters a man, the first he has ever seen in real life, who tries to kill him.
Considering the vast number of bargain full length novels at 99p these days, it seems a bit steep for just over 30 pages. I'll admit I was expecting more story than I got for the price, but he is one of the top, and my most favourite writers, so I suppose this is the equivalent of designer pricing.
As for his new novel coming through, at £12, I'll wait a while. The storyline previewed is ringing bells, I'm pretty sure I've read something with this story line or very similar before, so I'm not curious enough to spend on this new one immediately.
on 19 November 2013
This is really a taster for the new novel, rather than a stand-alone short story, but I am interested enough to want to know What Happens Next.

The main character seems like he will turn out to be the usual Koontz hero; someone marked out by fate or destiny for a specific task, blessed or cursed (sometimes both) with strange gifts that make others regard him with suspicion or even hatred, buffeted by life - in particular, unhappy home life and unloving or neglectful or absent parents - but not embittered and finally passing on the lessons he has learned through his experiences. Also, he'll probably have to kill someone along the way, either accidently or forced to do so in order to survive.

Starting to become generic, in other words, but yes - I want to know why or how a boy can be so apparently hideously ugly that not alone does he have a face even a mother can't love, one look at him sends a stranger into a murderous frenzy and makes him hunt the boy in an attempt to kill him with no ifs, ands or buts about it.

So I will be buying the novel when it's published/released on Kindle. Koontz is able to keep putting enough twists in his tales to keep me wanting to know more about what happens next to his heroes, even if they are all formed from the same mould.
on 31 October 2013
This feels more like an extended prologue to Innocence rather than a novella in its own right. One cannot of course assume how Innocence will start and to what degree Addison Goodheart's past is explored over the forthcoming novel. So enjoy it for what it is - a brief introduction to Addison and the peril he faces when 8 yrs old. Some of Dean's narrative trickery will be immediately familiar to his fan base.
Anyway, there's enough here to whet your appetite for Innocence. It's only 99p so go on buy it!
on 3 November 2013
I would recommend this novella to fans of Dean Koontz who cannot wait for Innocence in December 2013. Brilliant writing once again by Dean Koontz. It is a reminder why he gets you hooked on a book. Why you can't put it down! If you are anything like me, you will read it in one sitting. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for Innocence.
on 20 January 2014
I have in recent months returned to Dean Koontz in a big way... I've probably read twenty in the last 3 months and still have plenty to keep me interested. This short story, which I read as an introduction to Innocence didn't disappoint either.

By the end of this tail I could feel for the main character, even though he seems to be so hideous in appearance that anyone who gets more than a passing glimpse of his face or eye's is at once compelled to try and destroy him.

The desired result has been achieved Mr Koontz - I'm jacked up and ready for Innocence - bring it on.