on 9 March 2017
This is a lovely book for anyone interested in reading about animals. The stories are really heartwarming. This book would make a great gift for someone who wishes to learn of the the good work done by the Battersea Dogs and Cats Home.
on 13 April 2017
Love this great holiday read
on 29 April 2017
Good book
on 6 April 2014
Lovely book some very sad stories but some very happy ones too. Forward by Paul OGrady is just really special.
on 22 September 2014
An amazing heartwarming book I couldn't put it down. It's heartbreaking when you read of people's best friends passing away but for them to have been rescued and then led wonderful lives it warms the soul to know there are so many dog lovers x
Paul o grady is an amazing man and I'm thankful he's patron for battersea as they could not have picked somebody more devoted to dogs
on 13 February 2014
As a lifelong animal lover I have thoroughly enjoyed this book. I 've been so engrossed in all the stories that I found it hard to put it down! The real-life tales of love and rescue are a much needed tonic. It's encouraging to know there are good people out there who are prepared to go that extra mile for a four-legged friend. A wonderfully hart-warming read.
I enjoyed this set of true stories about cats, dogs and adoptive owners brought together by Battersea Dogs and Cats Home. We sometimes need to step away from all that is scandalous and wrong in the world, and celebrate ordinary people, the vast majority of us, who take on a pet and enjoy its company for the rest of its life.

The dogs and cats which end up in a rescue centre may be lucky or unlucky. At this home, they are not put down but efforts are made to socialise them and find new owners. Older or infirm dogs may be there for several months. A one day old kitten is the focus of one tale. I found it pleasant that two tales are written by staff at the home who adopted pets. Some dogs went far away, one to a Channel Island and another to Denmark. The best tale perhaps is that of a collie who, paired with an energetic and dedicated woman, went on to be a search and rescue dog, saving lives.

Only faults are: a woman with an Australian cattle dog was told that it was a breed genetically prone to losing its eyesight, as hers had. She went looking for another one, hoping it would be a sighted companion for her first one. She could have ended up with two blind dogs.
A nice foreword is written by Paul O'Grady MBE. Never 'eard of 'im. I googled him and he is a Liverpool entertainer and musician. I felt some idea of who the man is and why he is suitable for this task would be a good start.

This book is written by Jo Wheeler (who is she? Google gives options including model and weather presenter) and there are charming colour photos in the centre, of the canine and feline subjects of the stories. Proceeds from this book's sales go to Battersea, and it seems the money will be well spent.
This is an unbiased review.
on 10 December 2015
I'm a massive animal lover (especially dogs) and I love Battersea's work. However, I have to be honest about this book. Yes some of the stories gave me a warm glow, (for example how a little dog brought two people together and they found love), but others made me a bit depressed. The reason for this was that they talked about the owners illnesses and battle with cancer. Although I empathise and wish all of the owners well and I know illness is part of life, I wanted a purely, happy, feel good book and I don't think this delivered. I ended up feeling sad about some of the owners and what they were going through and it diverted my thoughts away from the real reason for this book ....... the animals.
on 15 February 2014
Absolutely love the stories in the book!! Much recommended for anyone who loves BDCH as much as me! I hope to be able to re-home one of their poor dogs or cats in the near future!

You'd have to have a heart of stone not to shed a tear at every story .
on 5 February 2014
This is a lovely book full of tales of hope for rescued animals and even a little romance in one!