on 24 December 2013
James Cameron's "Titanic 3D" conversion shows that when done properly, films that were not originally shot in 3D, can look fantastic. Unfortunately, "Predator 3D" isn't one of them.
I've always liked this film and was really looking forward to seeing it again when I heard that it was being given the 3D treatment. The jungle environment in particular had me eagerly awaiting it's release.
Now I've seen it, it's fair to say that I am extremely disappointed with the results. At times, the jungle does seem to have some nice depth to it, but there are portions of the film that seem to have had no conversion whatsoever. At times watching it, I thought there was a problem with my glasses and had to take them off to check what I was seeing.
The day before watching "Predator 3D" I had watched the "Jurassic Park 3D" blu-ray and like Predator, large portions of the film are set in the jungle, but, unlike Predator, the 3D was consistent and it was an immersive experience.
Predator 3D is a lazy conversion and you can't help thinking that it's release was a half hearted effort, of minimal cost by Fox to rake in money from a film they know would be extremely popular with 3D enthusiasts.
I've now got approximately 150 3D titles and Predator 3D has to be the poorest in my collection.
Picture and sound quality are okay, but again, nothing special.
44 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2010
So yet another original bare bones blu ray release finally gets the decent treatment it so rightly deserves.
When Predator debuted on Blu-ray a couple of years back there were some mixed reviews. I actually rated it quite highly, although it could obviously have been better, (featuring a relatively low bit-rate MPEG-2 transfer), that it was certainly a marked improvement over the really shoddy looking DVD with it's noise and grain. The other gripe about the original release was of course, the fact that it completely lacked any extras. So now, Fox have recitifed the situation (or if you're feeling more cynical - decided to nick some more cash out the fans back pockets) by releasing an inevitabvle remastered special edition to blu ray.

And here it is, newly encoded, dual layer 50GB disc crammed with all the extras from the DVD including McTiernan's commentary and the 'If it bleeds we can kill it' making of documentary.

So how does it fare? Well, in fairness I think the remastered picture in this edition could well incite the same amount of criticism as the old one, but for the opposite reason. Personally I think it's great, bright, clear, immensely vived and colourful and whereas the previous edition only really looked "Hi-Def" in a number of places, this looks pretty immaculate throughout. Black levels are also greatly improved. However, all of this comes at a price, which some fans may not like, because seemingly to combat the gripes about grain and noise this remaster is pretty heavy on the digital noise reduction. So if you liked the rougher, grittier texture of the original print, you're probably going to be disappointed. Faces look particularly "smoothed over" and a little waxy in certain shots, but I should add that this is NOT the case all the time. In fact facial close ups for example look great, and incredibly detailed, (you can even see the texture of the camouflaged face paint) the jungle looks beautfully sharp and thoroughly alive and generally the print does a good job of masking the dirtier looking scenes. I felt that for the most part the picture looked much more naturally "hi-def" than obviously "tinkered with", but I must confess there were a few bits where I really felt they'd overdone it on the enhancements somewhat, and that's the only reason why i've dropped a star. At the end of the day tho, I think a blu ray where everything mostly looks like a DVD, is far worse than a blu ray where everything mostly looks hi definition. But this I'm sure will be up to what you prefer.

Not sure if the sound has been changed since the last release, but it is still a totally engaing and absorbing 5.1 DTS HD Master audio track. This was my favourite thing about the original release, and it is totally replicated in the ultimate hunter edition. It's a brilliantly balanced track, giving great clarity and detail in the quieter scenes, exploding into hefty machine gun fire and explosions later on that pound your speakers without ever sounding too overbearing.

So all in all, whether this release is for you will come down to the remastered picture quality. If you dont mind the film looking polished, vibrant and, in certain places noticeably artifically polished, you will love it; if you'd rather watch the film closer to it's original intended look, I would hang on to (or indeed go out and buy) the original release.
88 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 July 2010
I'm both amazed and appalled at what 20th Century Fox has done with this blu ray, providing one of the most schizophrenic video transfers I've ever seen, which despite its faults still impresses me.

Because eighty percent of the time, it's beautiful.

They must have used a different source print than they had previously. Many scenes that were dull and dark before now show wonderfully vivid colours and much greater contrast. Also, it seems Fox has done a heavy amount of grain reduction, which I know will be an instant deal breaker for some cinephiles, but I do think that Predator benefitted from the treatment. I was astounded at the clarity some scenes have, every piece of foliage is razor sharp, and the Predator himself is so detailed in closeup it's scary. And it doesn't stop there.. From being able to see each bead of sweat on Carl Weathers' face, to the intricate patterns of the lightning effects as Predator decloaks, the new video transfer often presents scenes that look light years ahead of older versions of the film.

But then there's the other twenty percent...

The infamous scene at the start, when Dillon and Dutch lock arms, is one of the most egregious examples of video tampering. Carl Weathers' moustache looks like it's a blurry smudge on his face in this scene, whilst R.G. Armstrong now appears to be made of rubber. Arnold's closeups here are just plain ugly. Certainly not a great start to the movie, and it sets a trend of blurred shots and smudged faces that continues off and on through the film. A scene will be playing out, looking detailed and film-like, then suddenly it cuts to a closeup and we're examining a wax figure from Madame Tussauds acting in a Predator movie. Luckily this doesn't happen too often.

Whilst the Ultimate Hunter Edition is very obviously a cash-in on the new Predators movie coming out, it's honestly a better deal than the last Predator release Predator [Blu-ray] [1987]. Unlike the last bare bones version, this new edition includes every extra from the 2 disc DVD, even the still entertaining text commentary and easter eggs, as well as a brief but nice retrospective with producer John Davis and a quick look at the upcoming sequel.

If you already bought the last blu ray edition, or are unsure as to which looks better, I recommend renting them to judge the quality for yourself. There are a few moments that could have looked A LOT better here, but the film on the whole makes up for it by being much more vibrant and bold than before, and having stunning picture clarity when it counts. Not to mention the always epic DTS HD sound. Overall, I'd say this is definitely the version to pick up if you somehow don't already own this seminal action movie.
77 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 12 May 2004
Just a quick note to warn purchasers of this new 2-disc set that due to a foul-up by Fox it seems that many copies contain the wrong Disc One. I don't know how widespread this problem is, but in my local shop every single copy was incorrect - and, yeah, I made 'em check! :)
Due to a pressing or packaging error Disc One was the old single-disc edition of Predator - i.e. no DTS, no audio commentary, and a heavily-censored version of the film! Disc Two was correct.
Disc One SHOULD have a large picture of Arnie's face and say "Disc One" on it - the incorrect disc has a fuzzy picture of Arnie with a gun and DOES NOT say Disc One.
Seeing as the previous UK DVD release of Predator was a foul-up on Fox's part in the first place - apparently they mistakenly used a heavily-censored master intended for the German market - you would have thought they'd have taken a little more care this time around...
It's a good film, as I'm sure you already know, and it's good to see that it's finally been given a decent release in the UK - providing you've got the right disc in the pack!
44 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 April 2016
This is a review for the Blu-ray 3D version of the film.

Well, in 3D the effects look amazing! It's one of the best 3D conversions I've seen. It truly offers a sense of real immersion into what is being watched.

You can opt to watch it in standard 2D if you wish. As such, it's then exactly like the previous release of the Blu-ray. Great picture and sound quality. Plenty of bonus features.

This film, for those who don't know, involves an elite military unit entering a jungle environment to find and free a captured politician ... only they get far more than they bargained for! A being from outer-space is on the hunt for the finest warriors humankind can muster. This alien - i.e. the Predator - picks off the men one by one, until only the best - Schwarzenegger - remains. Then it's a brawl to the finish ...

This is a fantastic sci-fi movie, full of action. It's Schwarzenegger at his best (just before he became 'world famous'). Many critics dismissed it at the time of its release, as they failed to recognise the quality of this film. Subsequently, it has been viewed in a more positive light. I for one have enjoyed it since the late 1980's.

There have been sequels ... but nothing that quite matched the original. A new sequel is presently in production, and Schwarzenegger is returning!
on 10 December 2013
The direction, the music, even the character names- Predator is simply magnificent. It slow builds suspended all the time in tension, and then it explodes and doesn't let up.

Schwarzenegger's acting is great and he is helped along by the likes of Carl Weathers, Jesse Ventura, Bill Duke and Sonny Landham- who all do a superb job in creating atmosphere. Indeed Ventura and Duke have starred as Arnie's enemies in The Running Man and Commando respectively.

The late great Kevin Peter Hall dons the mask and makeup for one of the most iconic alien creatures of all time. It's a huge movie, blood and guts, action. But it has been scripted well, and directed with authority by John McTiernan. Predator's numerous quotes are stil heard today, and indeed it may well be the most quotable film in action movies ever. We've all heard the story of Arnie and Stallone's fierce competition in the 80s. But on arrival of this monster, Stallone's jaw must have dropped a few miles.

An essential movie to own, indeed regarding it's sci fi action genre- this is definetly a masterpiece.
VINE VOICEon 20 May 2008
Ok, first up I love the film. It's one of my all time faves. It travels along nicely with classic "end of chapter" cliffhanger lines such as "If it bleeds we can kill it" and "something's out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man". The action and the pacing of the film are excellent, and despite what the plot is, it's done so well that it's almost believable.
The reason I'm only giving it four stars is because the blu-ray transfer isn't really all that great. It is slightly better than the DVD, but as stated by another reviewer the source material was already a little grainy and the High Def transfer seems only to highlight this further. There are also no extras unlike the DVD, so you really aren't getting value for money. As Blu-Ray's go, it's not one of the better ones, but I love the film so much I can just about forgive it for that.
In short, if you've already got the DVD (probably available for about £3) then you're not likely to feel that you're getting your money's worth here.
on 13 December 2007
The movie is an undisputed classic, and it's still a class piece of action cinema, so why has yet another lousy DVD edition been churned out?

What a sham this re-issue is. There are no new additions to this version, only the exact same features from the Special Edition that came out 5 years ago.

Okay, I thought, the picture (as boasted on the back of the lovely new metal box) will have been fully remastered and cleaned up, at last. Alas, nothing has been done to the quality of the picture. It's still got the same poor contrast, grainyness and dirt as it has when the very first DVD edition was released 10 years ago.

What are Fox playing at?!? The answer is simple, yet another cheap marketing scam to get us to buy the movie all over again.

Unfortunately for me, it worked.
on 13 March 2014
I received predator 3D today from amazon and I was so excited as I love this movie,its one of the best from Schwarzenegger and so I opened up the disc and put in my 3D bluray player on my Panasonic full HD 50 inch TV and I wasn't disappointed one bit!-it looks stunning on bluray for such an old movie..and im sure I noticed a few scenes NOT seen on the previous DVD and BLURAY discs:im sure its the full UNCUT version on the 3D disc. I have read some of the rather negative comments about this new release and I cannot understand their negative comments??-this new 3D disc looks stunning to me and made the viewing pleasure even better watching it in full HD 3D bluray.(I think its well worth the upgrade from the previous bluray)if your a fan of Arnie or just a fan of PREDATOR you must order this amazing 3D version asap..i promise fans wont be disappointed.
on 30 May 2014
This movie is in my top 10 movies of all time list and when I heard it was coming out in 3D I just had to get it.

I don't know why so many people are giving it a bad review (maybe they have a crap T.V. or Blu-ray player, I don't know) but for me I thought the quality of the movie was great. The 3D conversion is pretty decent for a film that came out over 25 years ago.

The sound was crisp and clear and the picture was fantastic too. I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near as good as films which have been recorded on modern technology, however, I thought they did a good job with it none the less with the conversion.

There were some scenes however, which I thought the 3D conversion made no difference at all, but to be fair I was expecting that due to the age of the film.

Overall I'd give the film about an 8 1/2 out of 10. If you don't already own the movie on blu-ray and fancy owning it then why not get this one? It comes with the 3D and the original Blu-ray conversion so you get best of the both. If you already own the film on Blu-ray then I'm not sure if this version will make much difference to your collection.