Style Name: 7-Port USB 3.0 with 12 V / 3 A Power Adapter|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 January 2011
Style Name: 4-Port Ultra Mini USB 2.0|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I agree with the gist of other reviews; this is a handy and compact USB mini hub that allows you to connect more devices without cluttering up your workspace. I have a very old laptop with only one USB port so this device has really improved its capabilities. Being so compact and light I'd say it was designed with laptop users in mind. I also find it very helpful for leaving connected to my iMac which has its USB ports in an inaccessible place behind the display.

My two criticisms are firstly that the cable is short which means you'll need an extension cable if you plan to use it at a distance from your pc. And secondly, the spacing between the ports is quite narrow meaning that some USB pen drives and other direct plug in devices won't fit next to each other. I suppose this is an inevitable limitation of a compact hub but it's worth knowing in advance.

It's good value and adds to my positive impression of the Amazon Basics line of products.
22 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Absolutely fine - really everything you would need in a mini-hub. I find it very convenient to be able to have all my devices permanently connected to the PC, and this hub takes care of that function perfectly. I have noticed no reduction in performance on either of the two external hard-drives I have connected, or on the USB turntable.

Once again, Amazon Basics need to be praised for their no-nonsense packaging. Plain, re-usable boxes with no unnecessary waste.

The one slight minus is that the cable is less than nine inches long, so may be left dangling behind your PC, thus making the spaghetti mess there even worse. It would have been much more sensible to have a metre of cable, so the hub could sit some distance away from the PC.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 November 2014
This is a decent USB hub. I like being able to plug devices into the front. This is a feature that many USB hubs don;t have and it is very useful. This USB hub has two issues. The first (very minor problem) is that it has a very large red light on the front to indicate that it's on. This is annoying, but I covered it with some electrical tape.

The second (more annoying) problem is that my hard drives randomly eject from it. I usually have two hard rives plugged into it and up to two devices charging from it. It is plugged into the mains and connected to my Mac. Sometimes, one hard drive will randomly eject from my computer. I have to unplug the drive from the hub and plug it in again. I don't know if I have a defective unit, but it's slightly frustrating.

I still give this product 3 stars because it works reasonably and charges devices well. It is also very good for the price - similar products cost up to twice the price.
on 4 February 2015
I bought this to have some free USB 2.0 ports available for my system while having two devices permanently connected.
Unfortunately that configuration did not work for me as the 2 devices (razer headset & Xbox controller) had a compatability issue when connected at the same time. The audio would stop from the headset or the Xbox controller would stop working randomly. I tested the devices individually to my computer and there were no problems.
The USB cable provided was also very short so I had to use an extension cable. The hub is very lightweight and plasticity and doesn't feel well constructed,
I tested other devices like flash drives and bus powered portable hard drives and did not have any issue with those.

I have since purchased another powered USB hub for nearly the same price. This one has better build quality and has no compatibility issues with any devices I tested and has the same amount of ports.

on 4 March 2014
NOTE: THIS REVIEW APPLIES ONLY TO THE 7-PORT USB 2.0 PRODUCT WITH TWO HIGH-CURRENT OUTPUTS. OTHER PRODUCTS SHOWN HERE WILL BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY.

Rather than having a power supply for my Raspberry Pi and another power supply for a hub, I wanted to power the Pi from the hub. The trouble is that most hubs will only supply 500mA per port, which is not really enough for a Pi. Some hubs tout a higher-current "charging mode" option, but that usually requires the attached device to actively request the extra power. Since the Pi just connects the power terminals and no data, that wont work. This hub is simpler insofar as it just allows a higher current draw of 1.2A from two of the ports.

That means a slightly incestuous arrangement of two cables where the Pi is powered from the hub and also connected to the input of the hub, but it does work well and saves on one mains power adapter. Note this hub does not "back-power" the Pi down the host cable.

The hub itself is rather smaller than I expected (not a bad thing), and the base plate can be attached to the side instead to allow a horizontal mount. That does mean the hub has an ugly lump sticking out of the side when mounted vertically. It is a very light device so, with up to 8 USB cables plus the power cord, it is no way going to stay where you put it unless you stick it down. It can be fiddly to insert cables or devices into the closely-packed sockets, so probably best not plan to use this for anything other than a semi-permanent setup.

I haven't really stressed the capabilities of the hub, but, in addition to the Pi power, I have had 4 real devices attached, including an external HDD also powered from this hub, and it behaves perfectly.

I was impressed with Amazon's "frustration free" packaging, being easy to open and made almost entirely of recyclable card.

Overall I like the functionality and would buy another one, but I would have preferred a simpler shape without the stand and a more accessible layout of sockets given, judging from it's weight, it must have mostly empty space inside it.
on 31 July 2014
This review is for the Amazonbasics 7-port USB 3.0 Hub with 12V / 3A Power Adapter:

After receiving this hub, i plugged it into the power outlet using the supplied power brick (yes it comes with a power brick similar to a notebook computer) and then plugged in the USB 3.0 cable into a USB 3.0 port on my PC motherboard. The hub worked as advertised for approximately 3-5 minutes during which time i tested two devices, one was a USB 3.0 Sandisk flash drive, and the other a USB 3.0 Icybox drive enclosure. Both worked flawlessly for about 3-5 minutes.

Then, the Sandisk flash drive disconnected, then my mouse, then every other usb device connected to any port on my computer motherboard. Seconds later my PC powered itself off and refused to power back up. I could smell electrical burning coming from the USB hub. Now my best motherboard is severely damaged, it bluescreens often and randomly and wont always power on, thanks a bunch amazon!

I suspect a component has burnt out or failed in such a way that either the 12v rail inside the hub has somehow shorted to USB 5v,D+,D-, or there is a short on the USB 5V inside the hub (but most USB host controllers should be able to handle over-current gracefully, so i suspect the hub shorted the 12v from its power brick).

I shall not be touching anymore Amazon branded electronics if the quality control is this poor (or dangerous!).
44 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 May 2014
This is necessary for my MacBook pro (used as a desktop, in clamshell mode) as it isn't over-endowed with USB ports. Of the two USB sockets on the MacBook, I reserve one for the output to my off-board DAC which feeds my HiFi, and use the other for this replicator from which I feed my iPhone and iPads. It works fine, apart from two occasions when it seems to have 'hung'; disconnecting the power for a few seconds sorted it out. The device itself is a good size, but the cable from the transformer to the mains socket is stonking - it looks as though it could supply a block of flats! When connected, my iPad still generates the on-screen warning that it's not charging, even though I have plugged it into a 'fast' port. But it is.
Recommended.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 February 2016
The 4 USB ports provide ample support for the USB's you require to plug in but do not have the ports on your computer to do so, since they're occupied.

The cable is short and there are no adhesive pads which could have been included to neaten up the cable and hub hanging about from the computer. This made the product lose a star unfortunately.

Performance wise, it's an excellent & fast USB 2.0 Hub that works as it should. An orange LED indicator showing that it's working, a BRIGHT one... great for an indicator bulb inside your car (don't take that seriously)

Amazon's USB Hub came in their excellent frustration-free cardboard box that promotes the product very well, they add great detail to the unboxing to make it a premium experience.

So far I've used the Hub for months without problems. I continue to use it without any problems to occur.

Compatible with Windows 10 as I use it on Windows 10 Pro.

If there are any questions please ask me, I'll be happy to help!
review image review image review image review image
on 12 April 2015
A good quality product and works very well. The only dislike is the VERY bright orange LED, but at least it's not blue.
review image
VINE VOICEon 15 May 2014
Style Name: 10-Port USB 3.0|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A lovely design, and the perfect number of ports to keep even me happy, however mine had a significant issue with the power cutting out and locking the hub up every 15 or so minutes, Wouldn't have been such a problem if I wasn't using for my wireless keyboard and mouse.

I have since replaced it with the superb Anker 7 port hub and had no problems.