Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 20 May 2014
I had an early Sony Walkman tape player and years later bought the original iPod when it first came out. I bought this Walkman as I was looking for a way of listening to music on something that wouldn't need to be recharged every few hours. A while ago I bought a 64gb iPhone 4S which does the job but the battery isn't great even though I have had the battery recently replaced and have as much background stuff switched off. I am just back from a 3-week cycle trip and felt there must be a music player that has a better battery life and here it is. Buying this has allowed me to transfer a pile of music files from iTunes indirectly to the Walkman (download provided software called Media Go. You then have both Media Go and iTunes open side by side as windows. Drag music files cross to Media Go). This has a battery life that would easily exceed the occasions I would have listened over 3 weeks on a single charge. But the bonus is the sound quality. No matter what I do to the same music file the sound from an iPod or iPhone through the same headphones are vastly inferior to the music from the Walkman. Yes it has a few downsides such as it requires a direct connection to add music or podcasts but the sound, battery time, overall size outweigh the iPhone. It is time for Apple to wake up as Sony is back in town. Apple has sat on its laurels assuming everyone would naturally migrate from an iPod to iPhone which will then allow iTunes to dominate but not everyone wants this arrangement. Some of us wish to manage OUR music OURselves. Last time I updated my iPhone my music library disappeared to be replaced by music I had bought from iTunes only. Enough ranting. The Sony Walkman is a better music player and I'll shut up.
99 Comments| 269 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 April 2014
firstly, i didn't like the earphones, (the shape of them) though there's nowt wrong with them, (my mate nabbed them), so kept my own from a previous much cheaper player.
it's loud enough for me when noise reduction thing is turned off (i'm a bit deaf so need it loud.)
It has a hold button so it doesn't get accidentally activated.
i can download any song i like in loads of formats and videos. also a function on it for audiobooks.
i have accumulated a lot of songs and stuff over the years in many formats from many different sources and all went on smoothly without a hitch. i like the media go software, seems very logical. i can make playlists in the software on my laptop and also 'add to' playlist thing on the go from the mp3 player itself. sound is brilliant. like the buttons, totally controllable and all of it does exactly what i want it to do, as does the media go software. i can rearrange, rename, and generally do what i want with my music in the software, brill. just what i want. I tell IT what to do, it doesn't tell ME.its small and light and battery life lasts for ever before i need to recharge it. I listen to it for 8 hours solid at a time and it only needs recharging after the 3rd day or so. love it to bits. wouldn't be without it. had fun with the voice record, picks up even the quietest murmuring and subtleties. the video playback was a nice surprise the quality was excellent, playing cartoons for my grandchildren when they're bored on the bus is a life saver and saves loads of battery on their parents smart phones etc (cos they don't have to use their phones to access cartoons on the net on the go for them, brill.
love it to bits. ordered it and got it next day. no probs. love it.
11 Comment| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2013
Always been a fan of the Sony Walkmens, from casette to MD and now MP3 ... so I just had to had this item on launch date.

I am very satisfied with the item. Its a very nice Sony product made in good quality, its simple to use though it also have some new features like "kareoke" (removing the vocals in the songs), dance (pitching the dancetracks), senseme (the walkman finds automatically the songs depending on your mood - and it actually works 90% of the time) - amazing ! Unit also do drag and drop podcasts directly from Sonys transfer tool called "Media Go", which can be installed very easy directly from the Walkman.

Most of all I bought this Walkman to play mp3s, and this job it does 10/10, it has a high volume output, which is missing on many other newer mp3 players. It is also not oversteering when it have to work for a high volume, I like this a lot !

When you get it in your hand you wont believe this small thing can give such a super sound output. Very nice finishing and nice to hold in the hand.

The walkman also have a very nice hires screen that can play videos in a very stunning quality, jpeg, bmp and other pictures can be shown flawless, even in high quality. When "importing" the videofiles from PC, the bridge from Sony will automatically adapt the file (smaller or bigger size) so it fits for the player. Good thinking from Sony !

Only things I missed was for Sony to include a 220V adaptor (the unit have to charge from PC USB), this can though be solved buying a standard 5V USB adaptor, the wire will fix right in. Also make sure to buy a cover, since this is not included in the standard package.

Overall, Sony did it again - this unit is amazing and very good quality ! 10/10 !
3939 Comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 June 2016
Fantastic clear sound with fuss-free controls It has real buttons that work just as well through protective Silicone Skin Case. It has a handy bleep warning for high volume use. But I think the main advantage of this player is the battery life -it hardly every needs recharging.
on 25 April 2016
I'm so impressed. I can't understand for 1 minute why people rave about all this Apple stuff. This Walkman is streets ahead and doesn't have the extortionate Apple provisos attached to it either. Well worth the money!
on 28 March 2016
This is the third Sony Walkman that I have owned in 12 years. I keep coming back to them as they are great quality and every with a fruit logo on it is priced at about 5 times what it is actually worth. Great quality sound, easy to use functions, nice clear screen, simple drag and drop transfer function. Does everything you'd expect from an MP3 player and comes with a decent set of headphones.
on 29 November 2016
We bought two of these and even though they are small in size, the buttons are very clear to use, and the screen is large too. The sound is great and the headphones come with three size options which is good. The battery life seems to last a long time and it is easily charged by a usb or plug with usb port. Overall a great buy and would definitely recommend one of these, although these are more expensive than others on the market they are well worth it .
on 29 December 2014
Started freezing straight away, reset it, same result only now it wouldn't transfer any songs .. just got error messages constantly.. sent back for refund
on 17 October 2016
I've had one of these devices before and unfortunately it came to a soggy end when I accidentally left it in my jacket pocket and washed it. It didn't work but it smelt nice! Anyway, I decided to buy another as this device is great - There's plenty of room on it (for around 4000 songs I believe), it's easy to put music on (literally rip music to windows media play and then sync to the device. simple), there's no messing around setting it up, and the sound quality is utterly fantastic thanks to the clear audio setting! I seriously recommend this device for anyone who really values their sound quality because you certainly get that with this!
on 28 September 2016
I purchased this as a replacement for a similar model by Sony. Imagine my horror when I found that even with the volume limited off, maximum volume was not enough to drive even a basic pair of good quality portable over ears headphones to an acceptable volume.To be honest even my diddly Sony Earphones struggled with this. The actual sound quality is nothing to write home about either, by 2016 standards even SmartPhones can do better, this is not for Audiophiles at all, though it does beat the iPod Nano. There's no MicroSD slot so you're stuck with the small internal Hard Drive, which might be OK if you're a casual listener with low-bitrate music. The User Interface is nice and simple and File Transfer is easy as drag-and-drop in Windows. FM radio works well enough. It is small, hard wearing and durable, like almost all Sony Products, my previous one lasted 6 years.