Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've used several Philips razors over the years (including the much cheaper Aquatouch, my favourite), but thought I would get something meatier in order to try to reduce the time it takes me to shave.

This razor comes in a very large box, containing the razor itself and a cleaning/charging stand. The idea of the stand is that the razor cleans itself whilst it charges, using special Philips cleaning solution. Whilst you can't argue that the razor is cleaned using this method, you do really have to wonder at how this is any easier than simply rinsing the razor under a tap, which takes a few seconds. In addition, you don't have to buy the Philips cleaning solution to rinse the razor with plain water!

Charging, however, is good, with a full charge obtained in about an hour, which gives (I've found) about an hour's shaving time. So pretty good there.

My main problem, however, is with the quality of the shave. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I'm just not capable of contorting my wrists and face in the correct way, but the distance between the rotary heads means that I generally miss bits when shaving - and sometimes quite large strips at that! I've given the razor a fair go over the past few weeks, but have concluded that it takes more time to shave than my old Aquatouch - to which I am returning.

I've given this three stars as I wouldn't say it's a bad, bad razor; but there again it's not a very good one either. It does shave, and perhaps with a bit more patience (ie months of practice rather than weeks), I could work out how to use it without having to go over some parts of my chin again and again.
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although this is an excellent razor, and indeed does suit my sensitive skin, with no razor burn whatsoever, the cleaning element of this product is a purely cosmetic and totally unnecessary addition. A normal rinsing and cleaning of the razor is enough with warm water. This is mere pandering to a developing male vanity. Unless you have OCD, don't buy it. The instructions for using the cleaning element are purely visual, and took me a long time to work out. This was very frustrating for a part of the product that I have discovered I will not be using.

I would pay up to £100 for this razor, and no more. It is not worth the extra money, hence the rating of 3 stars. For the razor alone, without the gizmo I would rate it a 5 star. It feels very good in the hand and gives an excellent shave.
I have had Philips razors for years, but really thought I would treat myself to a self cleaning one this time and pull out all the stops. I am so glad I did. What an amazing razor. Philips comes up trumps again. It's very easy to set up and use and It's been charged since Christmas day and I have only had to re-charge it and clean it through the system just once. I would recommend rinsing the razor under running water before putting it in the cleaner or otherwise all the hair clippings will muck up the cleaning solution before its had a proper chance to work. I know it's not cheap, but it is good value on here and I can't recommend this enough. You will have the perfect shave.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I purchase a Philips product every two years or so as the blades on my existing Phillips razor seem to reach the end of their useful life, although still capable of providing a shave, they become sufficiently dull as to frustrate my early morning shave before I get into my 90 minute commute to work: so early mornings, every second counts! I have a number of Philips razors now and this one was obtained to replace my aging Philips SensoTouch 1180cc Gyroflex 2D shaver, which I believe is this model's predecessor.

Being familiar with the system, I was pleased once again to receive yet another jet clean system, charging stand, sideboard trimmer etc etc. It charged extremely quickly, like it's predecessor and I was able to use it within the hour. I have noted many of the reviews on this product questionning this item's ability to give a close shave. I have experimented with the razor somewhat since it arrived, like its predecessor I did a trial of, shaving half of my face with a Mach 3 and the other half with the Philips senso touch, in terms of quality of shave, the Mach 3 had it , second test was solely using the Philips, one half wet shave, one half dry, the wet shave had it by a long way; after 6 hours the results were really evident in terms of my beard growth. OK on a time basis, dry shave quickest, wet shave next and finally Mach 3 came last. So balancing it out time v quality the wet shave with the Philips came out top for me. Battery life is excellent and I have easily surpassed 15 shaves with a half charge left. I find that washing my face thoroughly and rinsing well, before using a good quality foam/gel prepares my skin well and assists in delivering a good shave.

There are some excellent articles on this item from other reviewers, particularly on the technical aspects of this razor and its perceived failings. I am neither as technically knowledgable or as eloquent, what I would say is that I have been a user of Philips shavers for many years and I suppose that I have the necessary knack of shaving with their products. I found it really good in use and in that regards have no complaints at all as it leaves me with a smooth face.

I have also been familiar with using the jet clean for some time and find that a bottle of cleaner lasts me for 3 months (3 fills in each bottle). I charge my razor about twice per month after using it 4-5 times a week and a Mach 3 or similar for the other occasions; I find that this removes some obstinate hairs and ensures that I get the best of both worlds. I normally clean my razor daily by either emptying away the bristles and then washing the head under running water after a dry shave, or wash thoroughly with running water after a wet shave. However, when I charge the razor, I always do it in the jet clean and never the stand as the former removes the deposits of grease from my skin from the mechanism and I assume from my shaving products and the blades look as good as new. I normally get two cleaning cycles from one fill of solution; I would add that after the second cycle I wash the blades under the tap again, simply becuase I have left the solution standing for two weeks after its first use and the solution does not look so clean! The blades always come out clean and fresh and seem to work better and rotate more smoothly in the razor. In order to reduce costs further I purchase the solution on subscribe and save and find that purchasing three/four bottles is enough for 12 months; currently £5.10 for a bottle using subscribe and save Philips HQ200 50 Solution Breeze

So why only 4 stars rather than 5. Sadly as I have said, I have quite a collection of these razors now and all have become redundant based upon the cost of replacement blades. I am aware that they are obviously cheaper than purchasing a new razor but these items ofter come up in deals or sales and that is when I tend to buy them; this time I received one as part of the Amazon Vine programme and I must admit that I am delighted with it. I am very sorry that many of the reviewers are as disappointed as they are, but all that I can say is that it really does provide a good shave for me and I am delighted with it. It must be me!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is one of the most expensive electric shavers Philips makes largely due to the somewhat over-designed blade cleaning system. The shaver head is large which makes it difficult to reach all parts of your face, especially around the jaw bone. As a result repeated shaving of the same areas of skin are required resulting in shaving rash. This is despite Philips using its 2D blade mounting system which is supposed to make the blades more maneuverable.

The cleaning mechanism adds considerably to the cost of the Shafer and has an ongoing cost as you need to buy the cleaning fluid for it. Philips recommend cleaning takes place once a month but this does not seem to extend the life of the blades, which are very costly to replace, and manual day to day cleaning is required as well.I struggle to see merit in the system therefore. Moreover the cleaning unit is bulky and will not be easily accommodated in most bathrooms.

In addition to the Shafer and cleaning kit a travel pouch is provided but this is made of a thin plastic material offering no protection to the shaver. It's just as well that the shaver can be locked in an off position when traveling to prevent it turning itself on in a suitcase as the pouch would not prevent this.

Finally, the picture-based instructions are dire - go to the Philips website for better guidance.

In conclusion this is a fair shaver with a gadget lovers dream of a cleaning system. My rating reflects the price of the kit which is just too high for something which struggles due to its large head to provide a good shave. So three stars.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The RQ1197 takes a mid-range place in Philips' offerings, but does that mean it offers average performance?

In truth, I was pleasantly surprised. One of the major problems when switching from a wet (razor) shave to an electric is understanding how to handle the device in the first place. With the former, you are more or less sutured into downstrokes and the occasional rinse, but a rotary shaver requires the same action as the blades themselves - you simply must recreate circular motions on your skin.

Once you get into this habit, the RQ1197 is a very capable product that will, at the very least, form a close shave. But clean? This is near impossible. The GyroFlex 2D head system is a disaster, providing nothing in the way of aid since the spring system cancels any effort to move the shaver heads with precision. You're then left with more irritation because you have to press down harder in order to force the heads into your chosen direction. I can only guess that this was implemented as a marketing gimmick, because in practice, it is simply counter-productive.

The product boasts a now common factor in water sealing, battery indicators and a 'self cleaning' system; the latter doing a worse job than if you simply opened up the heads and rinsed them under hot water. This is then the equivalent of paying for an accessory that you don't necessarily need or want, but Philips are charging a premium for it to be included.

On a basis of quality however, I really can't complain at the longevity of Philips products. The RQ1197 is well presented and formed, but it does little more than weaken the stance of electric shavers.
on 29 March 2016
Very good shaver. It seemed like a good idea to get it with the cleaning charger and some cleaning solution. In the end I do wonder why though. It's a wet and dry shaver and doesn't mind water so a good rinse will do nearly as much for it.

The biggest oversight for me though is that the trimmer is a separate head attachment. Wonderful idea but ever so annoying when you're used to it being integrated as I have been for years. It never seems to be where I think it should be and I'm always hunting round for it. With an integrated one it just pops up, you trim a little hair and fold it down again. So simple and effective. The separate trimmer I find annoying in comparison.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Out of the box my first reaction was really pleasing a well-made, reassuringly weighty and solid razor with all the curves in the right place to make handling it and using it a real effortless joy. It doesn't end there as the box is really quite large hosting a power supply, storage pouch (very useful for business trips) stand, trimmer attachment, head cover, Jet clean system and jet clean solution (an extra cost to keep up to). All of the box contents are of equal high quality and design to the razor. I was a bit concerned by the size of the jet clean unit, it's quite large and I wouldn't have the space to have it left out all the time and I fear once put away it will be forgotten.

Probably a standard feature on most razors now but I found the battery indicator to be of great value, I have an older razor and a set of clippers neither of which have a battery indicator and there's nothing more frustrating than getting half way through a shave and the battery runs out.

In use the three foil heads flex and spring back into place gently and the whole head moves to contours of your face. Wet or dry the cutting motion is smooth without having to go over the same area too many times. It's not as close as a wet razor shave but it's been a few years since I've had a proper wet shave anyway.

Price is an important factor with any purchase, £168 is a lot of money but what you get for this price tag is stunning looking razor complimented by a comprehensive accessory package. If I could get the same razor without the jet clean system in hindsight that would be the perfect purchase for me.
on 9 November 2014
I'm in two minds about this shaver. On the one hand it's very comfy to use, you can glide all over the face, even sensitive areas like the adams apple with no problems. It's super easy to clean. The trimmer is effective, although it's a nuisance having it separate from the main shaver.

On the other hand, it's pretty sedate and doesn't actually cut hair that well. It slowly erodes my beard away rather than mowing it off. I've used a Braun for about 10 years, that thing would go like the clappers and I'd be done quickly, the Philips feels like the batteries are running out in comparison.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This shaver gives me one of the closest and most comfortable electric shaves I've ever had. That's after many different Philips rotary as well as Braun and Remington foil shavers. It's also comfortable to hold and quiet - no need to turn the radio up while shaving.

Why not 5-star?

* Replacement heads are expensive - around £40/year, if you follow the recommendation for annual replacement.
* The cleaning system seems a little superfluous, to me. I use it and it works but rinsing under the tap is probably almost as effective.
* The printed instructions are wordless and very rudimentary. I'd say the full instructions are essential reading and yet you have to download them.
* You can't charge it without the stand. To make it fully waterproof, presumably, they've left a charging socket out and embedded a couple of contacts in the body of the shaver to marry up with contacts in the charging stand.
* The stand seems a little flimsy and you have to remember to take it with you if travelling for more than a week or so. It's great that the shaver is waterproof but I'd rather not have the inconvenience of taking a stand on my travels.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the RQ1197 but would probably choose an equivalent model without `Jet Clean', next time.

See one answered question