on 27 April 2017
Very good product. I recommend :)
on 22 September 2017
5 star*****-great product-came on time-would definitely use again-the best
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 11 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is one of the most expensive electric shavers Philips makes largely due to the somewhat over-designed blade cleaning system. The shaver head is large which makes it difficult to reach all parts of your face, especially around the jaw bone. As a result repeated shaving of the same areas of skin are required resulting in shaving rash. This is despite Philips using its 2D blade mounting system which is supposed to make the blades more maneuverable.

The cleaning mechanism adds considerably to the cost of the Shafer and has an ongoing cost as you need to buy the cleaning fluid for it. Philips recommend cleaning takes place once a month but this does not seem to extend the life of the blades, which are very costly to replace, and manual day to day cleaning is required as well.I struggle to see merit in the system therefore. Moreover the cleaning unit is bulky and will not be easily accommodated in most bathrooms.

In addition to the Shafer and cleaning kit a travel pouch is provided but this is made of a thin plastic material offering no protection to the shaver. It's just as well that the shaver can be locked in an off position when traveling to prevent it turning itself on in a suitcase as the pouch would not prevent this.

Finally, the picture-based instructions are dire - go to the Philips website for better guidance.

In conclusion this is a fair shaver with a gadget lovers dream of a cleaning system. My rating reflects the price of the kit which is just too high for something which struggles due to its large head to provide a good shave. So three stars.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A much better value cleaning system refill option than the Braun model I recently tried and reviewed. The Philips cleaning unit is easy to use, and neat to keep on the corner of the bedside cabinet for when the shaver needs the thorough cleaning. The starter kit comes with a bottle of special detergent fluid which should last a couple of months. The auto clean mechanism is also quite impressive. It's quite space age robotic in the way it lowers the shaver and goes through the cleaning routine including cycles of lifting it out of the fluid and dipping it back in. All in all a few minutes of the routine but then keeps it there for a couple of hours to allow the head to drip dry. My cat is fascinated by it too, he stands over it and watches the robotic routine in total fascination :D

The Philips system of shaving is one I like anyway and this particular model is one of the best I have used in all my years of shaving my difficult to shift stubble. It doesn't come cheap, but you are getting a lot of high quality kit packed into a light and well designed cordless shaver. The pivot and contour of the shaving head is the best out of all shavers I have owned so far, and the standard dry shaving has produced the best smoothest results too. But the best thing about it has been the wet shave with shaving foam. I have not been anywhere near a blade for years because I cut myself easily, so this Philips unit is awesome for that. I have had the closest shave since my teenage years (that's a long while ago) when it used to be so easy to get a clean face. I am also quite pleased about the separate trimmer head, because it's not just a sideburns trimmer, it's a proper beard/hair trimmer and really good for taking bushiness out of the sideburns and the hairs at back of the neck. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 13 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been through numerous electric shavers with varying levels of success - all the different sizes, shapes sizes and additional features have varying levels of success in picking up the hairs and cutting them without any abrasion. The Senso Touch Wet and Dry fits firmly up the higher end of this category - it delivers excellent close cutting with little or no irritation due to the flexible heads but sometimes has some issues picking up the hairs. Once you've got the hang of the circular motion required and the areas that you may need to give more attention to however overall, the shaving is fantastic.

This fantastic shave is also delivered by a well built and styled unit alongside some super additional functionality. The feel of the shaver itself is great and it looks good as well, helping you be confident even when using it wet. It has interchangeable heads for styling which is similarly good as well as numerous other accoutrements. The battery life has been similarly good - it takes a relatively short time to charge, with the option to charge either while cleaning or in the supplied separate charger and holder which is more practical for taking with you alongside the supplied carry case.

The additional item that initially attracted the most interest from me was the jet clean system - this is essentially a large plastic cradle into which you put the shaver and also some of the supplied liquid. You have to empty and rinse the shaver after using but this moves it about in the liquid to ensure its fully clean and lubricated for your next use - I haven't personally noticed the difference with this but it may help extend the life of the product.

Overall, this is a generally good all round shaver - while I have some problems with it picking up hairs as I learn to use it more I'm also learning to love it and the results it delivers.
VINE VOICEon 6 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Coming to this shaver from a previous Philips shaver with (worn out) 3D shaving heads, I was a little disappointed with the difference of performance over this shaving head and the one in my previous Philips razor, fortunately, the fitting is the same, so if you wanted, you could upgrade the head in future to the 3D version, I'm going to live with this one until it needs replacement and then buy the 3D version, I found that to have a closer shave. However don't let this put you off too much, the supplied head is fine for most shaving tasks.

As for the rest of the Razor, there are several really good points. The battery life is really good, great for long trips, easily giving two weeks of daily shaves between charges, and the speed of charging is amazing. It looks really nice and feels great in the hand, nicely balanced, comes with a travel pouch and charging stand.

One of the main selling points is the Jet Clean system, The few times I tried this so far, I haven't been that impressed, it's very bulky and I found it didn't really clean it that much better than running it under the hot water tap. However I guess the cleaning fluid has anti-bacterial benefits that the tap washing doesn't, so there may be benefits there.

On the whole however, it's a fine shaver for the price, and if you have the room to stash away the cleaning unit, I guess the benefits may then outweigh the downsides, but be sure to investigate the price of the cleaning consumable.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 8 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was a bit surprised with some of the other reviews on here as I find this shaver to be pretty good! I've used Philips shavers for years so maybe my face is just a bit more used to these shavers? The design of the shaver is really good, it is very comfortable to hold and feels good on the face. The 3 heads move around to fit the contour of your face. Although they do not move independently, they still manage to fit nicely around my chin and gives a close shave in the more difficult areas like the neck. I followed the instructions for how to move the shaver across your face and get a pretty close shave. It's not quite up there with a wet blade shave, but it's not far off.

It charges quite quickly but seems to last for ages. It says it'll last for 17 days on a charge which is pretty good. You can use it for a wet shave if you like (I prefer to use it dry) which is a bonus and you can take it in the shower.

The cleaning unit is great too, it uses motors to move the shaver into the cleaning mechanism in the unit and does its stuff to clean and lubricate the shaver. It really is quite cool! Only downside is that the cleaning unit (which also charges the shaver) is a bit on the large side, so bear this in mind if you do not have much space in your bathroom.

I'm impressed with this shaver. Yes, it is quite expensive, but you're getting a good shaver and a cleaning system that basically requires extremely little effort to get a good hygienic shave.
VINE VOICEon 19 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had hoped to like this shaver. I mean, you get so much in the box, in addition to the shaver itself. It charges quickly and has long battery life, is quiet in operation, and can be used wet or dry.

But at the end of the day it all boils down to, how does it shave? Unfortunately not that great. I have been using the SensoTouch for several weeks now, eschewing my normal perpetual stubble for a close shave (nearly) every day. If I shave every day, then it keeps my chin and neck smooth, without burn, however if I leave it a couple of days, the shaver struggles to tackle the longer bristles. Like others have said, the heads do miss hairs; whether this is because the heads don't track the contours of the face (even though they are supposed to) or that the blades are too far apart. This normally means I have try holding the shaver at all angles to get the bristles. Not what you want from an expensive razor.

I also think the cleaning dock is unnecessary. It looks pretty fancy and has motorised raising & lowering. But it does mean you're locked in to buying the 'cleaning solution' if you follow the guidelines of cleaning the shaver as recommended. In reality, rinsing it under a warm tap worked as well as the Jet Cleaner. Offer this razor without the Jet Clean system (for less money) and it would be a better buy.
VINE VOICEon 17 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Philips SensoTouch - Gyro Touch 2D shaver (4 out of 5*)
This is my first electric shaver for the face as I have always opted for a cutthroat wet shave. Although the shaver gives a very close wet and dry shave it still doesn't beat the old fashioned cutthroat razor, also I personally felt the instructions were not clear to follow during set up and for those reasons I hold back the 5 star... But all other aspects of using this electric shaver, in particular the speed that you can get a good finish and it's separate travel friendly charging dock.
So all in all I think this is a fantastic product.
It is also comfortable to hold, light & easy to use for all angles. I find it is best to tilt your head away from shaver when using it on the neck & jawline just as you would a normal razor.

Easy to set up 3***
Travel friendly 5*****
Style and design 5*****
VINE VOICEon 3 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The first thing you notice about the RQ1197 is the size and weight of the box compared to other shavers. Philips's Jet Clean System is a big, hefty thing that's not ideal for all bathrooms. But it's the Jet Clean System that really makes this product. I'm very lazy when it comes to cleaning shavers, choosing to ignore the fact that a seldom-cleaned shaver's cutting efficiency is significantly reduced. The Jet Clean System gets around this problem with probably the minimum amount of fuss allowed by the demands of cleaning such a device.

The shaver itself is similar to other Philips shavers I've used: the shave is good but not amazing, the recharging system is good, the build quality is marginally inferior to Braun in my opinion, and some of the supplied accessories are flimsy and cheap-feeling. In particular, the shaver stand isn't robust and easy-to-use, though this is ameliorated somewhat by the fact that the Jet Clean System effectively doubles as a stand.

The RQ1197 is a good shaver made more desirable by the addition of the Jet Clean System, which is a no-brainer if you're a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning shaver heads.