Format: DVD|Change

For those of you that have sat in romantic movies and said to yourself: 'but that wouldn't happen in real life!', may I present to you, The Vow, a true story. The plot line is really simple and yet incredibly moving. Paige and her husband Leo are involved in a serious car accent leaving Paige with severe memory loss. Paige's last memories are when she was engaged to another man, her relationship with her family was great and she was attending law school. Leo is but a stranger to her. Leo is determined to win back Paige's heart and salvage their marriage, but it won't be easy starting anew. Is true love a once in a lifetime opportunity or will Leo be able to make Paige fall back in love with him all over again?

Rachel McAdams has been crowned the 'Rom-Com Queen' so she was really in her element in this movie. It was interesting to see her in a slightly more serious romantic setting, going back to what brought her to stardom in the world of romantic dramas, The Notebook. McAdams' performance in The Vow is incredibly real and moving, drawing the viewer in, making you sympathise with Paige's circumstances even more. You may possibly find yourself quite frustrated with her character at times, but this is just the film drawing you in, willing her to remember the past and her love for Leo.

I have quite mixed views about Channing Tatum. I'm still on the rocks about whether or not I think he's suited to playing serious roles as I commonly associate him with his role in She's The Man. I think that perhaps he could've done a better job, though Channing Tatum has always been good at acting awkward, and there's plenty of awkward in this film. Channing Tatum's character, Leo, is the character that really turns the water works on as ultimately it's him who has lost the love of his life and feels it the most. Whilst of course you feel sympathy towards Paige who is completely disorientated and forced to adapt to her new life, Leo is the one stuck with memories of the past that he cannot possibly erase.

I watched The Vow the day before Valentine's day so obviously I was feeling slightly more vulnerable than usual which is probably why this movie had such a profound effect on me. Though, I'm pretty sure even if I'd been watching this when I was feeling extremely un-romantic with a steely heart it still would've made me crumble inside. The fact that this film is in fact based on a true story stays in the back of your mind throughout the movie and you can't help but imagine the pain that this pair must've gone through in order to salvage their marriage. Everything is heightened when you think that this is the story of someone's life. You won't be sat there thinking, 'this would never happen', because it already has, and that sense of realism is what makes this movie really top notch.

It's not all doom and gloom though! There are some very funny moments in this film too as well as moments that make you want to cry happy tears. There is a good balance between sad and moving and the comical - though it isn't funny harhar - which is good because otherwise I would've no doubt transcended into a serious phase of depression.

Whilst Rotten Tomatoes only gave this film a rating of 28%, we all know film critics are made with hearts of lead so I'm not surprised. If you look at the ratings from ordinary viewers this film has been voted as 3.5/5 stars or higher which is much more positive and I think is a better representation of the reaction to this film. I would definitely recommend this film to anyone and everyone who needs a reminder that true love isn't easy. Prepare yourself for some heartbreaking scenes and bring a box of tissues and a shoulder to cry on.
on 15 February 2012
I have a cold heart.
Dear John left me wanting to gouge my eyes out, and the saving grace of The Notebook was Rachael McAdams. Thankfully the director saw sense and took the best two elements of these films, and put them in their own movie.

Because The Vow isn't really a romance. Not really, this movie is more of 'if you really love someone, set them free, and they'll come back again.' And that's what the film is really about, how a couple learn to come to terms with tragedy. And that is why it works, there is no saccahrine here. Rather than Leo having to make his wife fall in love with him again, it's more about two people who have to realise they aren't the same people they where, and fall in love as those two people.

Channing Tatum is heartbreaking, and Rachael McAdams is a stunning actress as always.

Highly recommended. Find out why this made a record-breaking opening weekend at the cinema [$52 million, exceeding Titanic's opening.]
on 2 September 2014
Paige (Rachel McAdams) and Leo (Channing Tatum) are a young married couple. A horrible accident leaves Paige with the past five years of her memory completely missing; she does not recognise her husband, and is surprised to find that she is no longer engaged to someone else.

With several flashbacks, we see what Leo and Paige’s life was like - how they first met, what happened when they got married - and these intersperse with her physical recovery from the accident. It’s an intriguing premise, one which I would have thought was a bit unrealistic, but for the fact that this story is quite closely based on a real incident.

It could have been rather maudlin but this was very well made, paced exactly right in our opinion, with excellent acting from the main characters and some humour to lighten the underlying plot. Paige’s parents were perhaps caricatured to some extent, but that didn’t matter; most of the other people involved had minor roles. We found it quite emotionally draining, perhaps because we knew that it was a true story (but did not know how it would end). Leo's unselfish love is extremely moving.

The rating is 12A or PG-13, and that seemed about right; I doubt if anyone younger than about 15 would be interested in this film, but it’s not inappropriate for slightly younger children. While the accident is not shown in gory details it's quite shocking, so early in the film. However there’s only occasional swearing, and only one single (rear) nude shot.

Definitely recommended, to men as well as women. I'd give four-and-a-half stars if I could.
'Leo' and 'Paige' are the ideal couple, totally in love..... a traffic
accident turns their life upside down.
'Paige' has suffered trauma with a head injury, when she eventually
comes around, she has no memory of their life together.
Her memory of her life before she walked away from her family is
what comes back to her.
'Leo' just wants his life with his wife back, how it was, he try's to court
her again in the hope that her memory returns, so she remembers what
they really mean to each other.
This is a touching drama, quite simply, it's a nice movie.
on 19 March 2012
The main thing that has been left out of most of the other reviews is that this is a true story and not fiction. I have also read the book and I was taken aback by the husband's dedication to his wife. The way he handled his tragic situation is rare in today's society. It is a must for everyone to see. What a great example for the rest of us. I marveled at the two miracles that have taken place in this story. First, both of them miraculously recovered from the accident and second a doomed marriage was saved.
on 21 July 2012
I had read all the hype and favourable reviews about this movie and was expecting something outstanding, but sad to say it did not live up to it. The acting was very good with Rachel McAdams as lovely as always - but one thing was missing... if my memory serves me correctly, it wasn't until about 2/3rds of the way through the movie that Leo got around to telling Paige that he loved her! "I love you" are three of the most important words that a woman likes to hear a man say to her. I kept telling leo "Come on man - tell her that you love her" but he never heard me! Perhaps I didn't shout loud enough! LOL. Even the ending seemed a bit weak.

The main message for me, is that if you make a vow, then come what may, you do everything in your power to keep that vow. This is something that is sadly missing in todays world as seen by the high divorce rates.
on 21 April 2013
Leo and Paige spent five wonderful years married to one another, until a car accident left their lives in turmoil and her with no memory of that last five years and him losing the love of his life. As Leo tries to come to terms with the fact that the woman he loves does not remember him at all, he also has to try to make her remember what they had. How could he possibly do that with a woman who cannot even bare his touch? We see her go back to the only life she can remember with her overbearing parents and a jilted fiancé. Leo in the meantime tries desperately to try to woo her back and make her remember; only to find he is defeated by memories of her present life back at home. I don't want to spoil your enjoyment of the ending, but it's not what you hope to happen as she never regains her memory.

I loved this film. It's the best chick flick I've seen in a long time and it's totally believable as it is based on a true story. Get your hankies ready ladies, you will need them. I'm a fan of Channing Tatum and he did not disappoint and Rachel McAdams was brilliant as ever. You really need to see this film you won't regret it ladies, why not make a night of it with a box of tissues, box of chocolates and a good wine and your girlie friends. Please remember the man in your life may not really like this film, especially when he gets a load of Channing's six pack, although Rachel McAdams pert backside may make him smile.
on 21 January 2013
Brilliant romcom...one to watch with your friends but keep your tissues handy because the fact that it is based on a true story makes it even more wonderful.
on 23 September 2015
A really entertaining film that just made you want to go up to Rachel Mcadams and say "this guy loves you - he is your husband can you not feel the emotion never mind your memory loss" Her parents don't help with trying to take advantage of her condition and trying to manipulate her for their own ends. Little bit loose at the end but you could see they were going to be alright.

damn good acting
on 19 May 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this film and can recommend it to anyone who likes "the happy ever" after type of movie.