on 25 November 2013
This PC is the Fiat Punto of computing. Inexpensive, small, quiet, energy efficient and will get you from A to B. Here is a summary of the most important specs:

Processor: At the core of this is an AMD A4-5000 APU. This processor is by no means a speed demon, and why would anyone expect it to be at this price point? It's actually an ultrabook processor designed to be energy efficient and enough for basic usage. Most people use their PC's for web and general productivity so this is actually adequate. You won't have any problems running Chrome, Spotify, Outlook and Word on this. Fun fact: This is the same line of processors used by the new PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Graphics: This has an integrated Radeon HD 8330. Performance wise, this is similar to Intel's Ivy Bridge HD 4000. This will easily handle HD movies including YouTube videos at full quality 1080p as well as some light gaming. It won't run Crysis 3, but you'll easily get plenty of mileage from less demanding games.

Memory: The 4GB RAM you get is going to be enough for 90% of people. Unless if you have a lot of programs running with multiple tabs open at the same time (in which case, I suggest you seriously consider if you need to use a PC that way) then you won't max out the memory in the near future. 8GB is the "comfortable" amount for most though and upgrades are fairly inexpensive on sites like Crucial.

Form factor: This thing is slim and light. It takes up very little space. A prime candidate for a bedroom, small office or HTPC under your telly kind of setup that's easy to move around. The workmanship is pretty good with a clean lines and nice little extras like the card reader and front facing USB ports. Nothing special but good to have.

All in all, this is a charming little machine that will handle the basics without breaking the bank, making a dent in your electricity bill or using much leg space under the desk. I use this mostly as an HTPC and it works perfectly for my needs. If I could change anything, I would go for the slightly faster Pentium G2020 or core i5 just for future-proofing, but I really don't see myself needing the extra oomph for the next 3 years or so. At this price point I highly recommend it.
66 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 March 2014
Received this product in a timely manner then proceeded to connect it to existing devices. It's a wonderfully quiet and rapid computer. Windows 8 has been a new experience but after a day or so I was able to upload 8.1 and it is operating smoothly. The new OS will take some getting used to but the ACER is an excellent value.
on 27 January 2014
Very happy with this. Brought it before Xmas as in the Black Friday sale. So at £250 it was a bargain. Other reviewers have not reviewed this actual item which comes with windows already preinstalled. So can't say if it's difficult to install an operating system as it was already there! Literally you can get it straight out the box and switch it on and it's ready.

We went from a from a very old (7years aprrox) windows xp machine to this. So might be slightly bias as to how good this is if you're used to a newer machine already. It has made a huge difference to the clarity of our monitor. It is so small and quite and amazing that you can now put it on the desk rather than having on the floor. It is noisy when you use the disc drive though.

Windows 8 I have got used to quite easily, it is different, but works well and gives you options. We upgraded to 8.1 pretty much as soon as we got it as that resolved some annoying navigation issues. I was worried that it was difficult to use after all the other reviews, but it makes sense and got loads of options for customisation to get it how you want.

Having the keyboard and mouse included was a bonus, we are using the keyboard as the extra buttons for windows are good to use and nice and compact keyboard. Now there is room for my cat to sit next to the keyboard without pressing loads of buttons! Haven't used the mouse as like the feel of my old mouse, but nice to have it as a spare.

Definitely recommend, even at the price it's currently at.
on 4 December 2013
I bought this desktop computer on a lightning deal and other than having difficulty finding the on/off button, I am well pleased with it.
on 22 February 2014
Great little PC for the office, runs Windows 8.1 perfectly and is pretty fast for everyday office use. It also looks the part, very compact with metal finish on the front and good solid build quality. Best computer for the price by far.
on 6 February 2014
This computer is everything i needed in a pc..ok its got windows 8 but to be fair it dosent take that long to get used to.then your left with a great computer...amazon get it right again..top notch....and nice one acer....
on 6 May 2014
Genuinely the slowest PC I've ever had the misfortune of owning. The CPU constantly struggles along at 98% even when just running an internet browser, so trying to do two things at once is just a nightmare. At first I put it down to Windows 8 but even the upgrades Microsoft have made to that haven't helped. Didn't expect the best for the price it was but I expected competent, it performs worse than the 5 year old PC I bought it to replace and has put me off Acer products for life. Steer clear.
on 1 May 2014
As a fairly new convert to Windows 8 from XP mastering it took a little time. I quickly got help and upgraded to Windows 8.1 and am slowly getting the hang of it. I did not find the instructions very informative and was disappointed that microsoft office did not come with the computer, but downloaded open office and this does the job. The computer is quick and silent. The box is small which will suit those with a small study. Overall I am pleased with the purchase.
on 16 March 2014
great little computer although it took a while to get to grips with windows 8, but I upgraded to windows 8.1 and am finding that much better. Every thing comes preloaded so I had to remove quite lot of stuff I did not want which is a bit annoying, other than that it's great
on 20 April 2014
Excellent computer.
software:not keen on windows 8 as used to XP.However will get used to it .
not much choice as xp is no longer supported,