Top positive review
1,446 people found this helpful
Important to address what a lot of people are giving negative reviews about and that's just not fair on this printer...
on 17 July 2014
The problem with printers is that there are so many and so many different ratings given by people that it's hard to know which is good and which isn't.
The specs around this model are strong and it's wi-fi/air-play which, for the price, won me over.
I'll simply list the facts and let people take what they want from them:
Firstly, this printer is a lot bigger than I expected; it's certainly not compact by any means so make sure and check the dimensions as I didn't. The price should have alerted me to this so this is my fault for not checking and expecting something smaller.
Moving onto the set-up; there are a lot of reviews talking about how complicated it was to set up and having to register in order to be able to set it up. It's honestly not difficult to set-up. Follow the instructions which are clear and straightforward, make sure you know your wi-fi password and how to sync your make of wi-fi hub (mine is Virgin that give great instructions on line around how to sync your hub to other devices) as you'll need to know how to do this. Some reviewers seem to be faulting the printer for not finding their signals but it's the other way around, the hub needs to be synced in order to find it and connect so it's not the fault of the printer.
From here you have 2 options; you can use the cd provided to finalize set up or you can use HP's website. I used the website. Yes, it does give you the options of signing up and creating an account however, you don't have to do this and it's states that you can continue without registering. I registered because the ink is very cheap and the ink cartridges are not expensive enough for me to warrant buying cheap knock off versions and losing quality of the print. By signing up I can automatically order when i'm running low and there's not a bad software photo editing package included for download when you sign up.
Took me another 5 minutes to finalise set up through this and it worked straight away with no problems and no paper jams.
Overall, the set up was straightforward and following the instructions. the printer was up and running within 10 minutes.
Now, air-printing; I have an iPad and I was worried that i would have to download software but I didn't; you can but you don't have to. It was really, really simple; just bring up the document on your device tap print and choose the printer and that's it; it worked first time and worked brilliantly. No issues with using an iPad or my iPhone 5 with this printer but i can't speak for how well it works with Android/windows devices.
Reviewers have complained about various things and I want to just pick up a couple and compare my experience to them:
- Front loading; yes, the printer is front loading but this isn't a problem with me and I don't see the issue. It's actually space saving and because the printer is bigger than i thought, this is a good thing and it's easy to use; once again, follow the instructions which make it clear
- Paper jams: I've printed out a 20 page document, 2 sided and absolutely no issues at any time and it's hasn't jammed once. Now, once it a while, if you've signed up to an account, a special reward offer will come on screen which interrupts printing but you just resume printing. It's no big deal and it's very rare as it's a reward scheme that offers you discounts or free editing tools.
- Flimsy front loader: I'll be clearer than most around this; they are referring to a small 2 inch strip of plastic that pulls out of the actual front loader to make sure paper doesn't fall on the ground when printing our. It's made of plastic but it's by no means flimsy and you don't actually have to use this.
- No ink provided with printer; not true, the printer comes with a black and white and colour cartridge. Again, people should be clearer. There are 2 types of quality when it comes to the cartridges and the cartridges supplied are the basic quality cartridges, which leads me onto:
- Quality of print/image: no problems here. i don't see what people are complaining about the quality is excellent using these cartridges and I use the printer for very basic printing and photo printing and there are no issues with this. I don't know, perhaps if you are a photographer and make your living selling images then this would matter more (but then, why would you buy such a cheap printer. I printed off 2 DVLA forms and these were perfect, as if I had picked them up from the post office.
- Paper; again, some reviewers stating to have to use HP paper?(!) Not true, I've been using basic photocopying paper and it works fine
- Cost of cartridges; these cartridges are some of the cheapest around and half the price of the previous Advent model I had.
- Length of cartridge use: I've had the printer for approx 2 weeks and printed out a fair few things (boarding passes, recipes, DVLA forms..etc) and they are still going strong, If people use cheap knock off cartridges these will only last half as long
Overall, I've had the printer for approx 2 weeks and couldn't be happier with it. I think that some reviewers are taking it out of the box, not following instructions, making assumptions when they shouldn't be and perhaps don't have a basic grasp of technology. I experienced none of the issues that other people have.
Apologies for the length of the review but I felt it was important to address what a lot of people are giving negative reviews about and that's just not fair on this printer when anybody looking for a low cost good reliable wi-fi/airplay printer could do so much worse that get this one.
I hope this reviews proves helpful to those that find navigating positive and negative reviews a minefield!
Just an update to my original 5 star review written in April 2014 - It's now January 2017 and I've had this printer for just over 2 and a 1/2 years and it is still going strong.
Across this time I have never had an issue with it and I have changed computers, iPad, iPhone and wireless provider throughout these years and each time, connection back to the printer has been quick, easy and painless.
I've not had to think about buying another printer as there have been no issues and still fully believe and back up what I stated in my original review.