on 23 January 2015
Microsoft Publisher is a wonderful programme, which I've been using for over 15 years, either as a stand alone, when I was a teacher, for which, it was a great tool for creating really good quality worksheets, or as part of Office 2007, which I had on my old P.C.

When I upgraded my P.C. a few weeks ago, I found that the 2007 version wasn't compatible with my P.C. so prepared myself to have to update it again, as I have so many documents/letters etc. in Publisher format.

However, I'm shocked at the price of the full Office set up and am appalled at the 365 scenario, where you end up paying year,on year, for what's not a "hard," copy, which IMO, amounts to nothing less than a rip off.

I then looked at the option for buying Publisher, once again, as a stand alone programme,but have no wish to pay near on £100 for something which I've had for years, just because I need to update software on my system.

It seems the whole world is moving in the direction of having everything downloadable etc. which, in itself, is no bad thing, but what if there's a major issue with the Cloud, or wherever, this stuff is all being held?

I therefore resolved to find an alternative and having tried Google Docs/Open Office and a few "freebies," none of which came even closer to Publisher, I came across PagePlus X8 by Serif.
Not only do you get a real DVD to install, with downloadable updates, but the programme itself seems to do much of what is achievable by Publisher for less than half the price.
Furthermore, before I delete my "trial," version of Office 365, I've exported all my Publisher Docs to PDF and was able to open them and then save them via Serif, which means I can now edit them too.

Believe me, I would've preferred to stay with a programme that I know and love, but not at that price!
33 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 April 2015
I only bought this as my son needed it for school (from a practical point-of-view), and as it's not one of Mi¢ro$oft's '365' versions. Very overpriced. No media is included: it's a number in a box. This was an absolute nightmare to download, install, register account, and register and activate the software; M$ don't even make it easy to *buy* now.

On the other hand it does work well once, finally, activated.

I'd recommend using one of the free offerings (such as Scribus) instead if you possibly can.
(See e.g. http://alternativeto.net/software/microsoft-publisher/?license=free.)
on 16 May 2017
on 28 July 2015
very easy download and this version has many good improvements over previous editions.
on 8 July 2014
Don't buy this product if you want to send the documents you make to a commercial printer. Microsoft have removed the CMYK option, making this product completely pointless for our needs. Publisher 2010 in that respect is a much better product.
on 7 September 2014
I would have given this product zero, but I love publisher as a simple to use programme.... Why only two stars?.... When I buy a programme I expect to turn on my computer and have it fire up ready for use..... This abomination however requires that you log in via your windows account..... I don't remember my account details, my computer does so you go through the process and guess what you have to change your password...... every time you have to sign in, what rubbish.... I bought this to avoid the train crash which is Office 360..... all I wanted was a publisher programme on my computer ready to run when I wanted it not much to ask from big brother Microsoft..... and FYI you can't access it without internet connection
on 29 August 2013
So I paid £2.75 and waited three days to receive nothing more than a 25 digit product key? Yes, it was printed on a lovely card in a fancy little box, but really, this is a ridiculous waste of time, money and packaging. You still end up downloading the product, so either do the whole transaction online or give me the option to receive an installation disc. Not impressed.
11 Comment| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 July 2014
Best publisher program for semi amateurs to use. Its cheap and very simple to use. great PRODUCT.
on 6 July 2014
I just wish it was as easy as 2010 to use, why do they have to change things so much when it is already doing a good job. Trying to produce a multi page brochure is proving to be quite a challenge.
on 27 December 2013
It has made leaflets, flyers, adding pictures to Facebook, etc. much easier although an expensive addition to the Office family.