Style Name: DAB|Change
Price:£106.94+ Free shipping

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 May 2014
The CMT S220 is simple and small compact micro hi fi (I have the FM version)
It's a low cost system, but has enough of the basics covered, and sounds a bit better than the price might suggest.

The main unit houses the CD drive (a tray eject type), a simple LCD display, with a front USB port on the lower left hand side
The top part has button controls for the hi fi (play, pause, eject and EQ etc so you are ok if you misplace the remote)
Connectors are minimal, 2 x speaker outputs, an audio input, and a socket to fix the aerial connector

Other notes:
* USB playback supports MP3, WMA, and Walkman formats (you can also use the port to charge USB devices)
* You get a remote controls with it too
* Output is rated at 10watts RMS (2x5 watts) per channel

It's a small size overall the main unit is about 17cm wide and 21cm deep so it's easy to fit in a tight space or a kitchen for example. As others have noted the speaker cables are not that long, but I suspect most will not be seperating the speakers much.

Build is basic but adequate at this price point. Sound wise it does a fairly good job with the bass boost and pre-sets on EQ it's above average compared to some units I have tried. Mid range could be better but for the rated output it's really quite good overall more than loud enough.

There is nothing fancy on the Sony at all just the essentials here CD, and USB playback with the radio (reception is fine for FM/AM) The DAB model is a bit more expensive (I've not tried this) but it's the same unit for both options.

At this price it's a decent purchase for a budget micro system. I have mine in the shed and it's been working with no problems for months.
22 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2014
I didn't actually buy this from Amazon but I thought a review might be helpful to those who may do so. The features, for a basic machine, were better than I expected. It will read mp3 CD's for a start. Sound quality isn't bad either. The aerial could probably do with being longer. As I don't like leaving things on standby (wastes electricity) I would have liked a proper mains on-off switch. The downside of switching off completely is that preset/stored stations will be lost after a certain time. Even here, though, machine exceeded specifications; it states that, if switched off completely, stored stations will be lost after about half a day. However, switching on over 12 hours later, stations were still there! It will be interesting to see how long they are retained. It would be good if a future model had some kind of on-board battery which would enable presets to be stored indefinitely. In all this is pretty good and I am glad I bought it.
on 12 February 2014
Our main source of audio is a BOSE system but we wanted something smaller for another living room. The Sony CMT arrived bang on time, was in perfect condition and was assembled within 10 minutes. It took me a while longer to tune in the radio stations but that was a mixture of unclear instructions and operator error/impatience. Like may other reviewers, I note the shortness of leads meaning that you cannot space the speakers as far apart as you might like. The max I get is 70 cm (distance between a speaker and the CD player). This wasn't an issue for us. Sound quality is room filling and OK. At ~ £74-00 it is a bargain.
11 comment| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2013
This mini system has a CD player and a DAB radio, which along with the audio in socket for mp3s, makes it really useful. One star was lost because (& I only discovered this yesterday! ) it has no headphone socket. As a stereo ideal for a bedroom, this is an odd omission. Won't fill a very large room with sound but has plenty of oomph for a bedroom or study.
44 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2016
This "Hi-Fi" unit is perfect for a person who is not too concerned with audio quality. That is to say; it's not BAD just very slight (would be the kind phrase)! I have a love of all things truly Hi-Fi and drive my wife mad with the fact that every room has floor standing speakers and separates. I bought this unit for the one room (master bedroom) that is "hers". She is well made up with it and loves the functionality. Rather than go over ground that others have already done, here is my review:

The Good = DAB, and a very good one at that - 2nd generation (means you can get newly broadcast channels like Absolute 80's "New") reception is no problem, even without the aerial mounted & just hanging down at the back. CD performance is fine, with player handling MP3 CD's and audio CD's alike. A nice touch it that it continues to play from the exact point it stopped last time, regardless. It has a 3.5mm "Standard" jack input for external source such as laptop/PC/MP3/Ipod/Iphone/Ipad, which actually adds quite a bit in terms of functionality. Main unit electronics seem pretty solid to be fair. DAB radio sound quality is very satisfactory (once speaker upgraded-see below).

The Bad = The speakers are terrible...this unit replaces her previous Sony (grey one from 6 years ago-still had a tape deck, but one thing I will say for it - it had 2 way speakers, which to be fair were very adequate), these units are one-way 3.5" driver unit and sound awful!! I truly mean that...even she complained that there was no bass or definition in the music and trust me when I say that is not something she is normally ever likely to come out with, unless things are really bad! I have replaced them with an old pair of KEF Coda 7's I have knocking about and it completely re-invents this little thing. Now there is actually a semblance of bass, mid-range & treble in the music. Performance from Audio CD & DAB is strongest (unsurprisingly).

Overall = If you are looking for a functional, small audio solution where space is a premium, then look no further. Packed with features and sporting an aux stage for line level inputs (no gain or volume adjustment on the unit, so that needs to be handled on the "sending" end). I would suggest you upgrade the speaker package as I did, but if you are truly not bothered you may find the standard units satisfactory...just don't say I didn't warn you ;)
on 12 February 2015
Followed the advice with regards to ordering the DAB version and very happy, I brought this item for my mother to use within her kitchen and as described it's just right for a small space particularly as more and more channels are going DAB. Before she had to switch between AM and FM and although this unit has a FM tuner that isn't really made clear all the channels she likes are on DAB so it's a couple of button presses to the right or the left to get to the channel she wants, no pressing enter no changing frequency it just does it and even her local channels are there for her and the display tells her exactly what channel she is on, she is over the moon! Plus it has a CD player which is something that was missing for her.
on 27 September 2014
Very slow start up time, too slow. You have to wait for ages while the drive spins up, spins down, and spins up again until it's ready to start playing a CD. After four months it stopped working altogether. The sound quality is good when it works.
on 12 July 2014
Excellent system for the home based on the budget. I would recommend it to anyone who is shopping for a mini system.
on 5 September 2014
I bought this for my kitchen to replace an old woolworths own brand cd player/ radio. Luckily i only paid £35 for the sony cmts20b. The sony is a huge dissapointment the sound quality is not as good as my old second hand woolworths cd player. The sony is not as loud, their is barely any diffrence useing the equaliser on it. The leads are far to short as i wanted to place the speakers up high on cabinet, and the wire is just cheap bell wire. The dab radio is awfull. Im going to go back to my old woolworths cd player which actually has a better equaliser and a lot more settings than the sony and the stereo seperation of sound is far better and more detailed. My roberts classic lite stereo dab radio picks up all the stations with no bother and the sound is great. I cannot describe how dissapointed i am with the sony, a remote or fancy display does not make up for poor sound quality. Im unhappy at even haveing paid £35 for it, its tinny sound. I really love music from pop to rock to classical, but unlike my old woolworths cd, the sony loses the detail on pop records. I have tried playing american pie by don mclean on it and the sound was less detailed, and the radio keeps loseing the signal for dab!!! I actually exchanged the sony for another one thinking perhaps mine was faulty as it was ex display & the shop supplied me with another which had never been used but its still the same. Im amazed that a 20 year old 2nd hand woolworths cd player shoyuld sound better. I admit my main system is a denon with wharfedale speakers & proper speaker wire. But an ols woolworths cd player should not sound better than a modern player that costs about £80 - £100 normally. My advice is get a really good 2nd hand cd player with decent speakers for the same money and a roberts portable stereo dab radio, which at least you can take in to other rooms.
on 20 January 2016
This is a lovely music system brought so I could enjoy music inside my study. The study measures approximately 12 foot by 12 foot so a big and loud system was not needed. I chose this model because its Sony and have not been disappointed by my choice yet.

1) The Good

It is a small compact design,

DAB radio,

USB port to the front,

Good sound (for the size),

Good build quality,

Loud enough for small rooms

2) The Bad

Speaker cables are too short ,

Bass could be deeper,

No audio out,

You need both remote control and controls on the amp / cd / radio unit to operate all possible functions,

Time taken to start up compact discs / tune radio,

3) The Ugly

No headphone socket,

No batteries for remote control included,

Overall, I am very impressed and have used just about every day since it arrived. It arrived very quickly via Amazon Prime and was easy to set up and start using. For the money it is good quality and good value.