on 18 June 2017
You can tell I really enjoyed this I think as I had the email confirming it was being delivered to my Kindle at 16:49 yesterday and I had finished it by just after midday today.
It’s a great atmospheric read. I love books that are able to transport me to a place so well that you can almost smell it. I felt that with David Penny’s Thomas Berrington books set in Moorish Spain, and through this is set in the modern day it has the same sort of feel to it bringing you a real sense of the Deep South of America. It would be a wonderful book to read on holiday if you were going to that part of the world.
Very well written to imo, this is a skilled author. Characters are well developed and in the classic crime book way all have an edge to them. There is a supernatural edge behind the book, but don’t let that put you off if that’s not your thing as its not actually a big part of the book.
While it is different in setting and age I think you would enjoy these if you have enjoyed the David Penny, Thomas Berrington books, The Alexandra Sokoloff Huntress thrillers or Phil Rickman Merrily Watkins series.
on 28 June 2017
As this wasn't my usual sort of book and didn't know the author..I wasn't sure that I would enjoy this book..but so glad I read it.. thoroughly engaging and full of suspense
on 16 June 2017
Great book had to read the next two I read three books in a week couldn't put them down
on 17 August 2015
Four stars for this book my reason is never heard of this author before and really enjoyed the story line felt as though I was their with them
on 25 July 2017
Not bad.
on 2 August 2017
Excellent
on 18 July 2017
Not impressed and stopped reading after about 25%
Interesting to start but I skipped the middle as tedious. End was ok.
on 2 May 2013
A voodoo/police detective story that was OK although my interest started to wane a bit towards the end of the book. It was quite atmospheric and the descriptions of the Deep South area were OK. I'd probably read the next in the series as I'm not sure how much you can squeeze out of a detective series based entirely around voodoo.
on 23 July 2017
This is a well crafted tale that has you rooting for the two lead protagonists. Cops, Elise of the title might not have her own life sorted but she is good investigator and David ex FBI agent, carrying even more baggage has relocated to Savannah and has not endeared himself to his new colleagues.
In this crime story we have bodies seemingly dead, coming to life again. Set in the south black magic must be considered and in some ways explains some of Elise's problems however, it is the clever twists and turns and the ramping up of the pace that keep you on board to the end.