on 16 May 2013
Something we never had, and i am glad.
Written by an ex squaddie, the story covers the hideous reality of world war three in an all too real scenario.
I won't ruin the story but the characters are people like you and I, who joined the forces for work and now find themselves at the sharp end, with real human feelings, failings and successes.
I was gutted when the book ended but also pleased when it was announced this is only book one in a trilogy.
Hurry up and release number two !
on 30 December 2015
The story is adequate (just) if poorly written but my biggest complaint is that, while the book is filled with some great technical description of a vast array of "land" weapons and vehicles, the majority of the "air" and "sea" vehicles/weapons descriptions are horrendously wrong. In fact I'd say the writer didn't even do a basic "wiki" look-up for the ships/aircraft/weapons he was describing just to see how badly wrong he has been.

The mistakes became so jarring that, for the first time in years, I gave up on reading the book. My breaking point was after I read that a Sea Harrier FSR2 launched both an AIM-54 Phoenix (a F-14 only weapon) and an AIM-7 Sparrow (70's-80's US missile) both of which physically can't be fitted and aren't UK weapons. The RAF fair just as badly with Tornado GR4's launching AGM-88 HARMs (US Anti-Radiation missile) instead of the UK's ALARM, plus the RN now magically have a diesel electric Submarine, despite all of them being scraped nearly 10 years previously.

It's obvious the writer spent time in the Infantry as the "Land" aspects are well researched, if a little crudely written, but his huge failings in the research of the rest of the book are pretty poor and as such, I can't recommend this book.
77 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2013
I enjoyed reading this story- it's quite gripping once you get into it. The plot is fairly intricate, with may characters featuring throughout. There is a fair amount of technical detail, and the action comes thick and fast.

The serious downside is the awful spelling, grammar, punctuation and just bad writing. This makes it a far less enjoyable read than it should/could be. With the services of a good copy editor, it would be an excellent book.
on 27 May 2013
I would recommend Armageddon's Song - a terrific read by a great story teller, with very interesting characters. It's credible and frightening - the author's own experience makes it shine. Looking forward to the next part comingARMAGEDDON'S SONG 'Stand - To' out!
on 4 July 2013
Totally great piece of escapism, I don't really care if the battle scenes are accurate, that's not why I read fiction, if I wanted accuracy I would read history.
The author stated in his spiel that naval and air combat scenes are probably not as accurate as the infantry battle scenes, in my opinion it was all excellent, he paints really good pictures of the battles, and I enjoyed them very much.
I must admit I had a bit of a chuckle when he tried to describe Svetlanas stud as "down there", but it is a truly absorbing and well thought out piece of work.
Highly recommended if you don't take things too seriously after all it didn't actually happen, not yet, anyway.
The author doesn't seem to like politicians very much, this is quite obvious by the way he writes, I can't say I blame him too much.
It is all put together really well with good good guys and bad bad guys and it is nice to find that some of the good guys get killed sometimes, even the ones the reader has got attached to.
on 26 August 2013
This is a great new alternative history series - the Soviet Union has re-emerged and made an alliance with China, the west are under attack in Europe whilst wars are fought at sea, in the air, in Europe, the Pacific and SE Asia. A very good exciting read.

However the covers are very confusing and Amazon are little help, I asked them for guidance and they assured me this was the second in the series so I read it second BUT its the first.

So if you are interested in this new series, this is the FIRST book, despite the Part two label. Read this fist and then move on to the next.

By the way if you like this genre try Colin Gee's Red Gambit series which is brilliant and about the Allies going to war in 1945, Harvey Blacks' "The Red Effect" which is similar but about a war between NATO and the Warsaw Pact in 1986 and SM Stirling's "The Peshawar Lancers", Guy Saville's "The Afrika Reich" set in an Africa run by the Nazis in a world where the Germans won world war 2 and Andy Johnsons - "Seelowe Nord-the Germans are coming" about the Germans invading England in 1940 but in Yorkshire.
on 29 September 2013
I was attracted by the title first off and I was not dissappointed with the book. Although this is an alternative history it reads as if from the authors experience which I found a very interesting 'take' on an alternative history novel. It was good to get the story from the infantryman's viewpoint (nice to see the British Army get a storyline for a change) But it also shifts nicely to take in other theaters across the world, and the 'global view' and does not dawdle too long with the one viewpoint. I could not put this one down and immediately went on and purchased the 2nd novel to follow the story. Hooked!
on 1 August 2013
At last an author who shares my views on so many things including my views on our politicians in general and some in particular, most of whom I would not trust to walk a dog. A good enthralling military tale with no embarrassing and obvious mistakes in procedures and plenty of realistic action. A very good read for the aged and weary warrior of the past! A good realistic war story.
on 30 January 2014
As a crab from a line of crabs I loved this book. I appreciate your views, Andy, on the majority of the slimy b**tards who play politics and make money with our defence and the lads and lasses serving and their families at home. Personally I'd put them on the front line for at least one tour and see how they then run things. Keep writing good stuff Andy, many thanks.
on 5 October 2013
I love this book, I'm an ex squaddie and a Met copper so your probably guessing id be biased towards the author before I even read this book. I probably am a bit. But that said as soon as I finished reading the introduction I was hooked, great story, great characters and I like the way it isn't focused on just one part of the war but all manner of different battles. Couldn't get through this book quick enough. Loved it!