Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.15

on 5 July 2013
Reading a Susan Hill book is like spending Halloween night alone. More than likely, nothing too terrible will happen, but that doesn't stop you from having every hackle raised in anticipation of that 'Boo!' moment.
I love the way she creates the unlikeable characters of husband and mother-in-law and turns the 'trespassers' into ones that attract sympathy and fondness. I know this is meant to be a novella but I would have loved it to have gone on into a full length novel - the potential for hair-raising events is definitely there!
on 29 October 2013
The quality of Susan hill's writing is perfect in this short story. I was immediately and completely I transported to the cottage in the country where Paula and Adrian have relocated from the city. Adrain is boyishly enthusiastic about their new life, Paula more reticent, but it soon becomes clear that the couple's differences go much further and the gap is ever widening. Weaving through the personal drama is the presence of the 'hungry' children, shy at first, then increasingly bold.
There is no real ending or explanation and that, for me, was a shame. There seemed to me to be great potential for a much fuller story or novel and the scope for a more satisfying ending but there is no denying the superb writing.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 June 2013
I enjoy Susan Hill's writing and love the settings and tense atmosphere that she creates in some of her stories. The atmospheric setting is present in this short book, but in my opinion the story created a feeling that it needed to develop more, to make it a satisfying read. I was enjoying the story and wanted it to continue, so by the end I felt that it concluded in a slightly unsatisfactory way. I was left wanting more!
I know it's a short story and I enjoy reading novellas, I think this is one of those stories where readers will be happy with how the story ends, and some will not.
on 22 November 2013
Of all of the Kindle Singles by Susan Hill which I have read recently, this one is by far my favourite. It doesn't have a supernatural twist, isn't narrated by some fusty old professor in front of his fire, but has a clear and original narrative voice and tells a story which feels a bit creepy even if there are no ghosts in it. It is a very short story and I do wonder whether it is worth 99 pence - and you can't get much for 99 pence these days - but there really isn't much to this. Also, despite the story being lovely, it still isn't perfect - there's a moment at the start where the heroine states that she is looking for Nurofen because she has period pain and backache. She doesn't find it and her husband is hurrying her out for a walk. However, later, whilst out for the walk, the heroine states: "The Nurofen had begun to wear off." I'm not surprised it's begun to wear off - that will happen if you don't take it in the first place. It also ends quite suddenly. If this was a bit cheaper on Kindle, I'd be wholeheartedly recommending it - as it is, despite it being a lovely story, I really didn't feel that it was worth the price.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 July 2013
I read a couple of Susan Hill's works but it is this short story that left me really satisfied and at peace with her writing. I loved the setting and the ever-present atmosphere - you could almost feel something is the air, something brooding. I was enjoying the story and did not want it to finish, yet, it is perfectly rounded and guides you to the inevitable conclusion, which I do not think could be done any better.

I loved it that Susan Hill, within such a short story, had space and craft to fill it with miniature descriptions of everyday, such as chipped blue nail varnish. And the title, somehow, fits perfectly (and I am not referring to the hungry children populating this short narrative).
on 20 December 2013
This short book by Susan Hill is an intriguing read. The story centres around Adrian and Paula who move to an isolated cottage in the country. The tension between the two is palpable and a menacing atmosphere is built up effectively as the pages turn. Throw in some mysterious children, who enter their house to steal food, and there is a nice set-up. We don't learn much about the central couple. Part of this adds to the mystery. Why do they have no children of their own, for example? The states of mind of Adrian and Paula seem to change throughout the course of the book also. It's rather dreamlike. The prose is high quality, as always from this author - (for some reason the Kindle formatting was bizarre, at times justified, at others not) - and it builds effectively to a conclusion that is abrupt and not terribly satisfying. There is resolution in a sense but it isn't the pay off I expected. A solid 3 stars that would have crept up to 4 if the ending had wowed me.
on 24 October 2013
This short story has great attmosphere and was written in Susan fabulous style but I thought the ending was pants, it just stopped rather like she had forgotten to write the last chapter
on 13 June 2013
Susan Hill has such great skill at creating really unnerving situations and the inner lives of her main characters. Although they were all three not very likeable one could understand their motivations and feelings. Love her depictions of weather and landscape too.
on 26 May 2014
This is a short story by Susan Hill, but I have to say I was very disappointed by it.

It's about a couple, Adrian and Paula, who move to the country, at the husband’s insistence, however he soon feels uncomfortable by some children who seem to keep turning up and moves back to town leaving his wife in the isolated cottage, who at first despised the rural life.

When her husband has left she decides that the peace and quiet is actually something she likes.

The children continue to ‘visit’ the cottage where Paula lives and she finds they are stealing food. She takes provisions to the caravan where they live with their mother and then one day they’re gone.

The story is only about 30 pages long and I bought it as a Kindle daily deal.

I love Susan’s other books but this for me was a complete disappointment and I hate to say that because Susan is a terrific author and I feel very disloyal.
on 4 June 2015
This is not even worth a one star! This is the most worthless £1.15 I have ever spent. Crap, crap, crap! Should be sold at .15p instead. There was no substance to the story and was held by 3 annoying characters. The ending....what ending?!!!! THERE IS NO ENDING! Left you hanging for nothing!

It has put me off reading her other books. Her only saving grace was The Woman in Black.