Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 July 2013
'Blurred Lines' is the sixth studio album from R&B singer/songwriter Robin Thicke.

In his previous offerings, Robin has leaned towards his well established soulful charm which oozes suaveness and sex-appeal and he has done so without causing too much of a storm, tending to be better known for his more collaborative expertise. That all changed with the title single/video 'Blurred Lines'; causing controversy in the media, introducing men to Emily Ratajkowski and introducing women to the prior concealed arrogant swagger of Robin Thicke.

Success at last? By record sales, maybe, but potentially (as is often the case) at the expense of originality and musical intrigue.

Robin's intention in this record (as set out by the single) was to have more fun and as a result pull out some more club-worthy tracks. I'm in no doubt that 'Give it 2 U' (which features the uber-current Kendrick Lamar) will be another huge hit and although it is perhaps soured by Robin's arrogant promise of a "big d*** for you" it stands out as the best track on the record.

However, if you leave out the title track, which I think we have all heard enough of by now, the album comes in at just over half an hour. Does that really suffice? Also it seems the American release (at the end of July) includes three extra tracks.

The more soulful offerings ('Ooo La La' and 'Get In My Way') are more upbeat than sexed-up, which is more in-keeping with the record's premise and suit the impending summertime fairly well. They do however lack an originality and freshness that leaves them all too forgettable; much to the contrary of his previous more romantic bossa-nova affairs.

In fact I think keen followers of his previous work will be deeply disappointed; and if you are new to Robin Thicke, don't let this album put you off his excellent older albums. It's clear that Robin Thicke's undeniable talent lies in true R&B and Soul. This is not one of those records. And whilst we should not expect a continuation of theme in any artist, I'm not sure if this is a fitting departure.

Whilst this is clearly not a classic, there are still two or three fairly catchy records that should last the summertime (just about). But beyond this year I don't expect this album to be re-played like one may be compelled to with his other albums.

Listen to: 'Give it 2 U', 'Feel Good', 'Top Of The World'
on 18 July 2013
I am a bit disappointed with this album, maybe it was rushed or maybe Robin was trying to keep up with the kids, but this album is no where near the same calibre as his past ones. He has got a different sound and vibe with this album, but the only good song that I can listen to on repeat, apart from Blurred Lines (even though this song was a bit over played and overrated), is Feel Good (which isn't at all like the usual Mr Robin Thicke - its quite clubby & dancey, but smooth & really catchy), the rest is either forgettable, a bit annoying or sounds like something you've heard from someone else before. Robin is so talented vocally & lyrically, but some of the songs lyrics on this album are so basic & more cheesy than a block of mature cheddar, & sound like a 7 year old wrote them. I don't know if Robin is running out of ideas or something, but this album sounds like random B-Sides and there is a very blurred line of quality here. I have only given him 2 stars because I usually like his music & think he is great, and I was looking forward to this album, (even though its only a year since his last one - which could be the reason this one sounds rushed), but I also gave him 2 stars because the overall production of the CD is ok. However I think this album will fade into the blurred line of forgettable very quickly, hopefully he will do better next time!
on 22 July 2013
So far few of the singles have lived up to the hype of the first single Blurred Lines. Having said that it is a good listen and I have a sneakt suspicion a lot of the songs will be growers. It reminds me a lot of Justin Timberlake in a good way.
on 22 July 2013
Armed with nothing more than the Pharrel Williams flavour of the month touch, a risqué video and a cheeky grin, Robin Thicke has blasted to the top of the UK singles and albums charts.

The over-familiar title track gives way to Take It Easy On Me which resorts to the ol' vocoder vocals in places but does at least possess a fair beat. By Ooo La La the template of the album is evident. It's oh, so Daft-Punky, mild-funky and all done so much better back in the 70s by Rose Royce, Sylvester, even Heatwave - and there are better 70s artists who shouldn't even be mis-compared with this stuff.

By track 6, the dime-a-dozen rapper Kendrick Lamar actually comes as light relief. Robin Thicke is less Average White Band than average white man, really - root around for the originators rather than make do with this poor facsimile.
on 7 December 2013
A few great songs on the cd, definitely worth buying, but not one I want to listen to all the tracks on.
It is very much of the moment & has made me listen to his cd from many years ago I had forgotten about
on 11 August 2013
I have been a huge fan of Robin Thicke for years.....and he just gets better and better (not just with his looks, but with his music as well).... This is a great album and I loved every track on it !!!!
on 19 May 2014
Maybe I'm an old gittess (female old git), but I just like this song. I have listened to the words and can't understand why some folks have got their knickers in a twist. Some of my lovers in the past have said to me 'you know you want it' and I have said the same thing to them.

I think I am too old for this world as the comments I have seen on the TV just annoy me. OK the video I saw in the pub to this song was a bit near the knuckle, but remember I am an old gittess and I am not supposed to enjoy seeing nude women. In fact I stopped watching top of the pops when they started having dancers on their backs opening and shutting their legs. Think it was in the 1990's.

Anyway, the old gittess is signing off here - it is a great song to dance to.
on 13 September 2013
Really pleased with this purchase. The CD h Has a slight " prince" feel to it. Very hip hoppy and upbeat.
on 25 August 2013
...yes like this CD, and blurred lines is a great, catchy tune, and there's a good mix of tracks on the CD, but I have to say I was slightly disappointed by some of the tracks which are positively average!
on 7 October 2013
Arrogant, Misogynistic and imitative! This album is so poor and the singer so reprehensible that its almost painful to write a review about him, but i feel compelled to, people should be discouraged from having any part of this pseudo-singers attempt to be an artist. Just say no.