VINE VOICEon 19 October 2013
Colour Name: Blue|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At first glance, the Amethyst looks like a giant Lego brick. It might look too casual and/or out of place with your home entertainment system, but then the Amethyst is designed as a portable speaker and fortunately it does its job very well.

You can connect gadgets such as laptops, MP3 players, and tablets either using the supplied cable or via Bluetooth. I had no problems connecting it to all my gadgets. The sound is fantastic, probably the best I have experienced from a portable speaker. It enhances viewing movies and listening to music while on the go by providing crisp and satisfying audio that is loud enough to satisfy even the hardets to please.

A word of warning: the Amethyst gets confused when more than one Bluetooth connection is in range. Once, Bluetooth was activated on my laptop and mobile phone at the same time and the Amethyst got confused as it tried to connect to both.

Yes, the Amethyst looks and feels like a toy (even the big function buttons remind me of the Fisher Price toys I had as a child!) but it performs brilliantly. It is not the smallest of portable speakers but it is still small enough to carry around in your rucksack or laptop case. I would have given this produce five stars if not for the fact that the built-in battery seems to have died after only a week. I now need to connect the Amethyst to a socket when I need to use it which is a great shame.
on 5 May 2014
I bought this as I couldn't afford a Jambox, and it is a great substitute for it. Great sound and connectivity - I've used it with iPhone's and Samsung's. The only downside is that it is rather heavier than I would have liked (and the Jambox), you can definitely feel its weight when you slip it into your handbag. Good product though.
on 14 March 2014
Having tried out the larger version of this in a large retail store I was struggling to justify the £50 it would cost me.

Seeing this one, I wondered....... its smaller - but it weighs the same, will it have the same oooomph as its "bigger brother"?

And oooh - its £20 cheaper.

My finger fluttered over the buy button until in a moment of madness I went for it.

It arrived a day later, I plugged it in, it paired instantly and now its playing tracks from "Friday Night in San Francisco" with clarity, depth and .... yes oomph.

Because that's the danger with all these types of portable speaker that they end up sounding tinny, you just cant get a quart sized sound out of a pint sized pot.

This thing manages that trick admirably. It even has a genuine and noticeable stereo separation.
Doesn't seem to matter if its running off battery or mains.
Its not hi fi of course but it really does sound several times as good as its entitled to for its size,

The looks are your decision, I like my giant blue singing Lego brick.

In short ,,,,, superb .... it hereby claims a significant portion of my meagre 5kg baggage allowance on Easter's flight to Turkey; socks? who needs socks?

Mind you, at a push it will fit in a large coat pocket........

Now Its playing Imelda May's "Kentish Town Waltz" .... here comes that trumpet riff ... yep .. spot on ...... :)
on 14 October 2013
Colour Name: Blue|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have two other portable speakers (one bluetooth, one not) and this one easily has the best sound of the three, both is quality and volume. Those are definitely good things, but then really it's not surprising given that thus Amethyst speaker is 3-4 times the size of the others I have.

The bluetooth works very well (even if I do keep getting a fright when it speaks) and I've had no random disconnections, which is something I can't say about the other bluetooth speaker I own.

As for being 'portable', well that's down the user's own definition. Technically, yes, it is portable, but unlike the other two speakers I own I can't just stick this in my pocket; a holdall or case, sure, but not a pocket or purse.

Then there's the design; like a huge lego brick... honestly, it's truly awful, but thankfully that's not what matters to me with a speaker. Overall, though, a pretty good speaker.
on 9 May 2014
It looks almost exactly like the portable bluetooth Jawbone Jambox but has the great virtue of being half the price. Its quite a bit bigger and heavier than the Jambox, so you'd expect a deeper and richer sound, more bass maybe. But less portability doesn't come with better sound.

While small portable speakers by Jawbone, Fox L, and Bose, cant match audiophile standards, they do provide a solid full sound.

Amethyst comes no where close to doing so. With the exception of some acoustic songs, Amethyst distorts music by pushing some frequencies far harder than others, and lacking base -- even in not very demanding music, such as classic rock and some pop, the sound kind off 'falls apart'. The base is weak, which is often a problem with portables, but some of mid-range frequencies are overly strong and spring forward in a weird way I've never heard before. for classical music is sounds colourless, or without out vibrancy. I want to say the sound is tin-like, but that's not really it.

From £50 to £100 is a big jump, but assuming you'll keep the portable speaker for a few years its worth the investment. And if you cant spend more than £50, give Elf or a non-blue tooth portable a try.
VINE VOICEon 24 September 2013
Colour Name: Blue|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There was little question in my mind from the moment I saw this unit that it was trying to emulate the success of my favourite Bluetooth speaker range - the Jawbone Jambox - but at a more reasonable price. For me, the Jambox excelled due to great design, fantastic sound and excellent functionality - would this one be the same?

First, the design - it's a good bright colour and a visually interesting one with the Lego style studs on the top also doubling as the buttons for functions and also controlling the music being played. The plastic nature of the product actually fits well with the design although the back looks a little bit tacky with a rocker switch, extra ports and some LEDs that you feel could have been put on the side to keep a full clean look. The size and weight mean that it's a good portable speaker and a fantastic thing to have when you're out with friends.

Next, the sound - here the speaker really packs a punch despite its size even when running on battery. While distortion quite quickly comes in with volume increases and the fact it lacks a little clarity I was surprised with the volume and quality from something this size. It's not as good as the Jambox, especially when it comes to the speakerphone mic, but for the price I was pleasantly surprised.

Finally, the functionality. Any speaker with a built in battery is always a winner for me and this one lasts a reasonable length of time on a single charge. Pairing with a phone is relatively easy and the speakerphone component seems a nice edition but not as well executed in terms of sound quality as it could be. The Bluetooth range was however less than some other speakers I have tried.

Overall, I was happy with what turned out to be quite a reasonable speaker - especially at this price point. While it doesn't rival my favourite, the Big Jambox, it does well to emulate some of its best features while not feeling too downmarket. Therefore, it comes with a thumbs up and good rating from me.
VINE VOICEon 21 November 2013
Colour Name: Blue|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Excellent blue tooth speaker which looks great - the block like design is very cool and sounds great - absolutely no problems with connection or sound.

My only criticism is that it's just too heavy! I like my portable items to be truly portable and this is much heavier than I'd like. Still a great product for the price though.
VINE VOICEon 2 October 2013
Colour Name: Blue|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great little portable bluetooth speaker which actually sounds pretty good for it's size (it has two small speakers and a small woofer in the middle). On a charge, it will last around 10 hours, less though if you are using it at high volumes. It was really easy to pair with your ipod/iphone, android phone etc. It took me about 20 seconds to get it up and running. It has a rubberised case with volume controls and buttons to skip tracks and is so simple to use.

My only gripe is that when you approach maximum volume, the sound does become a bit distorted. At lower volumes though it sounds pretty good for such a small unit, very pleased!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 29 September 2013
Colour Name: Blue|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This device is a battery powered speaker which can be used with various devices in locations where there are no readily available plugs. It is a simple device with no display and just three main buttons as well as volume control on the top and an on/off switch at the back.

The styling is interesting. The whole block resembles a large piece of lego and is very brightly coloured. This is not a sleek, black or chrome finished device but a large plastic brick. I like it enormously but I suspect that this is very much a matter of taste. It is not particularly light as it is not intended to be carried around when in use but to be positioned wherever you want it. The whole product gives an impression of being very solid and robust.

The device can do a number of things but we have used it to play music/podcasts from ipods and mobiles instead of using headphones. You can do this via a cable input (cable provided) or via bluetooth.

We mainly used the bluetooth. After turning it on (a strange, American voice with a bit of an echo says "power on") you just press the pairing button and it links almost immediately (with the voice telling you when it is done). We found this amazingly simple and very quick. You can then position the brick where you want it and use your device to control it (although there are is a play/pause button and a volume control on the brick itself).

We found the sound quality to be very good indeed. It is obviously not the standard you would get from a stereo hi-fi system but for its size it is very clear with a good, solid bass. We found the quality when playing speech through it to be particularly good.

The battery is alleged to last for 10 hours - we have run it for over an hour a day each day for the last week and are still on the first charge. You can apparently run your phone through it to use as a speaker - we haven't tried this. There is also the facility to recharge mobile devices through a USB port.

This device has lots of potential uses. It can be placed in any room where you are working which doesn't have power or another speaker system. Although the instructions are clear that you must not expose it to moisture we have used it in the bathroom (great to listen to music when in the bath). It could be used in the garden or if you were camping.

We are delighted with this speaker. We like how solid it is and the good sound quality. We are continually finding new ways to use it.
on 2 January 2015
Bought this for myself for holidays and the larger one for daughter. Very impressed, better than the ones I tried out in tesco which were double the price. The bigger one is certainly louder when compared next to each other but smaller one is more than adequate.