Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an odd specification, especially when viewed alongside a BT Home Hub.

Basically the HH has ports which are 100Mbit and 1Gbit, but this is a 200Mbit. Just a bit odd of a mismatch, but of no significance.

Back to the set-up and performance...

Set-up is very easy, I plugged them in next to each other and, almost immediately, they recognised each other. I did a quick test using a laptop wired through the extenders and all was fine. I then unplugged one and installed at the 'remote' location (i.e. the other end of the house) and all worked well and almost immediately.

So, easy to set up; good throughput (which was limited to 100Mbit by my laptop); and they seem to be reliable.

Also, I know it says it in the spec, but I will repeat here. These do not provide wireless extension, they extend your wired connection only.....

Recommended.
22 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Broadband Extender 200 kit is a pair of HomePlug adaptors which run network signals over the power cables in your home. While most modern devices use some form of wireless networking, this isn't always a viable solution - thick walls and interference can block wireless signals, and wireless networks can struggle with high bandwidth signals such as HD video streaming. The ideal solution is to run Ethernet cables, but that can be hard work, messy and time-consuming. HomePlug provides a more solid signal than wireless, but without the need to run cables.

The kit includes two (identical) adaptors, and set-up couldn't be easier - each adaptor is the size of a largish mains adaptor, and plugs straight into a mains socket. On the top of each is an Ethernet socket (2 Ethernet cables are provided). Plug an adaptor into a socket near your router, and connect the Ethernet port on the adaptor to an Ethernet socket on your router with the supplied cable; plug the other adaptor into a socket near the device you want to network, plug the other Ethernet cable between adaptor and device. Make sure both sockets are switched on, and the Data and Ethernet lights on the adaptors will come on to show data is flowing - job done. It takes longer to write about than it does to do, and there is no set-up or fiddling with keys or addresses required. The supplied instructions are extremely clear (and very brief) - it would be hard to get it wrong!

I tested the connection between my router and my PS3 by streaming MPEG2 SD video ripped from DVDs, and it played perfectly; no glitches or dropouts. These adaptors use a lower spec version of the HomePlug standard, so they might struggle with HD video, but they are fine for SD.

You can also connect additional adaptors to expand your network - this process is a bit fiddly, as you have to hold down the button on the adaptor for 5-8 seconds (with no sign as to when that has elapsed - the instructions recommend you to use a stopwatch!) But once done, additional adaptors also worked fine, and I had a multiple-port network set up in a matter of minutes.

The only snag of these particular adaptors is that they don't pass through the mains - you lose a mains socket for each you plug in. BT also sell a more expensive version - the Extender Flex 500 - which has pass-through mains sockets and also supports a higher data rate - which might be worth considering if you are short of mains sockets.

But other than that, there's not much to fault on these adaptors - if you need a plug-and-play alternative to wireless, I recommend them highly.
22 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2014
I was a liitle bit sceptical when I ordered the BT broadband extender 200 Powerline adaptors, but I installed it in a couple of minutes and it worked just fine. I am very pleased with it.
on 24 April 2014
Works perfectly, straight out of the box. It DOES work on ordinary simple extention leads/ sockets, I tried at both ends, with no problems. BUT it will not work on an extention with surge protection or extentions with neon power indicators etc.

I bought this because my sons Xbox, connected wirelessly to a brand new BT homehub 5 with infinity (fibre optic) kept on losing connection to Xbox live. I gave up with BT, talking to people in Bombay. Try this, try that. I know the problem is down to the router allocating xbox live data to another application. Even after a 'full reset' the hub still remembers the applications. and won't allow manual port forwarding until you cancel the allocated application but you cannot delete the applications! BT in Bombay ain't got a clue. I gave up and bought a set of these and they work perfectly.
on 23 April 2014
Great kit for a great price , we now have the internet in our garden room at the top of the garden (out of range for the wifi) at a really good speed
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The BT extender is really simple to set up and use. Plug the extender into a mains socket and plug the network cable (Ethernet cable) into your router. (instructions don't state that the Router must be BT) Plug the other extender to a mains socket and the network cable to your computer or TV or other device needing a network connection and your off! The extender has power, Ethernet (network) and data indicators to show its working. As its just requires a plug socket it could be used in a home office for work during the day, then unplugged and moved to another room to connect an other device in the evening. (or purchase an additional extender and expand the network)

The device should work with any broadband provider not only BT. We connected a BT home hub 3 router running BT infinity. The BT web site has details about the product a user guide and specification.

Considerations

The network cable is ~2m l this sounds long but the device should not be plugged into an extension cable as it requires the household electric circuit to work. Ensure your devices can be close together or purchase a longer network cable. The extender is a bigger than a standard plug deeper and wider.

The extender does not produce a wireless signal, there are devices which do both the side of the product packaging would indicate that there is a product Wi-fi home hot spot 500 which will produce both a wireless signal and a network cable link. (Netgear also produce such a device which works with our system).

If you want to extend your home network to an out building which is not on the same electrical circuit I don't think this product will work (Electricians please comment!)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The best thing about these little devices, by far, is that I went from opening the box for the first time, to them being completely plugged in and working, in under 60 seconds. They really do just simply work. The transfer speed is as good as I get on any other wired connection from the router, I can't tell any difference.

According to the minimal instructions, it's not recommended that you use them on extension cables, but I also tried them with an extension cable on both ends and they continue to work absolutely fine.

My only quibble (and hence 4 stars not 5) is that the plug-in devices are just a bit too wide. It means that if you're plugging them into a row of sockets, then the neighbouring sockets have to either have thin plugs in them, or be empty. For example you couldn't park one of these in a socket directly next to something like this: Universal AC/DC Mains Power Adaptor - Black (just an example) as it won't quite fit. Hopefully just a minor quibble that a bit of unplugging and rearranging will fix.

Our house was built in the 1990's so the electrical set-up is presumably fairly modern. How this device would work on much older houses, I can't say, but if I understand the principle correctly, it should theoretically be fine.

A brilliantly simple, 'it just works' solution.
on 7 August 2014
I purchased the item as I leave in a two story old cottage with brick walls. What the specs do not tell you is that if you have multiple electric loops/zones in the house it will not work. So check you fuze box and see where you can use the device before purchase.
on 15 March 2014
Bye Wireless dongle .....hello these babys :) my internet upstairs is instant and my speeds are rampant what more could you want....just plug them in and away you go ....more secure as well
on 28 July 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I live in a building made in the 1960s, or something, my bedroom has a grand total of one power socket. It's the biggest room in the house, too. So, I have a plethora of extension cables - it's impossible to get by otherwise.

The instructions for this say that it doesn't work properly if plugged into extension cables - but I have done so for both of these and it works, perfectly.

It's plug and play - a complete doddle. (You really do just need to plug the two wires into each thing, and THAT'S IT)!

I love this particular design because of the small form factor. It's super compact.

The only down side is that it doesn't have a pass through, but the fact that it's super compact makes up for it.

My wifi has been an absolute nightmare - keeps going on and off; I've been pulling my hair out. It's so refreshing to have a stable connection.

(This is my first experience of Powerline and it's like magic)

(I live in densely populated part of central London where there are loads of wireless networks in a small space. Even though I'm directly above the router on the floor below, I still used to get frequent interruptions which made work and play a real struggle)

I use bit torrent to consume a lot of emtertainment content and this makes a world of difference. I feel like I'm living in an episode of Tmorrows World.

(NB - you don't even need to buy ethernet cables because they are in the box)