Format: DVD|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 12 January 2014
I bought this for our son for Christmas after going to see this show live in Warwick uni a few weeks ago. It was quite simply the funniest live show we have ever seen, and that is amongst the likes of Dara, Lenny Henry, Rob Brydon, Michael Mcintyre etc.. We just laughed and laughed and laughed all the way through the show. An absolute triumph. Superb.
on 19 April 2017
Another fine addition to my Stand up collection
on 13 May 2017
great dvd great comedian
on 28 March 2017
Came quickly and as described
on 27 March 2017
Laughed all the way through
on 1 May 2017
Greg Davis at his best
on 27 January 2016
I like Greg Davies but hadn’t really thought about him doing stand up until recently coming across this on Amazon. With the good reviews it got, and the strange title of the DVD, I was looking forward to it. I’m glad I gave it a watch because my boyfriend and I really enjoyed it, so it’s definitely one I’d recommend.

Greg Davies has been in a few shows over the years (the most recent that comes to mind at the moment is his role as the head teacher in The Inbetweeners, as well as appearing on shows like Never Mind The Buzzcosks, Have I Got News For You etc) and I’ve always thought he’s a down to earth but comical guy. Firing Cheeseballs At A Dog, a rather inventive name and actually based upon a true story he shares in the DVD, is his debut stand up. It was a sell out at the 2010 Edinburgh festival and received nominations, followed by sell out tours in 2010 and 2011, which I believe he extended because it was so popular.

Greg appears very laid back during his stand up, dressed as an average guy and yet appearing neither snooty nor slobby. This gives him a very warm and welcoming appeal because he’s ‘down to earth’, yet understated because he’s actually very funny! The premise of his stand up is that he addresses true stories of his, so he recounts tales throughout his life and the issues involved. He does this roughly in chronological order, such as working through his early years, teens, adulthood etc. The stories are tales of times with friends, in school, as a teacher, his parents, anything and everything really that has been part of his life that he has a tale to tell about. And he’s got a lot to talk about.

Part way through he enlists the help of a girl in the audience to read a title from his notebook. This gives him a sideline tale to tell (ie. a shorter ‘joke’) as a break from the longer tales that he outlines briefly now and again with key words on a board. I thought it was quite refreshing the way he did this because, again, it’s more realistic and ‘down to earth’ to hear true tales and life stories that are made comical rather than outlandish claims sometimes.

Davies comes across very well to the audience and I immediately warmed to him. He’s very honest and blunt in what he says and his truthfulness and direct approach is quick and witty. I didn’t find anything too smutty or vulgar or offensive, and yet there was plenty of material that covered a vast array of subjects including sex. I say this because, even though I love dirty jokes and banter, sometimes this can be a bit too over exaggerated in stand ups. He was able to make it easy to watch and very funny.

The pace was good; I don’t remember thinking any aspect dragged or that he went too fast, so it kept me entertained on balance throughout. Although he came across as being warm and welcoming, he was still very animated and loud, and that also helped to keep my attention. His humour on the whole was quite varied, some of it silly funny, some of it funny because it’s relatable and some of it witty. There’s something there for everyone I think, and although I wasn’t sure what to expect of his stand up, I did find myself laughing out loud along with my boyfriend enough to give us tummy ache!

To give you an idea of other ratings this has received, the Mail On Sunday, The Independent, Time Out and the Sunday Telegraph all gave it 5 stars. I'd definitely agree with this. I was pleasantly surprised by how good this was; Davies is honest and compelling, and the humour is natural, which is very refreshing and easy to watch.

All in all this is definitely a DVD I would recommend checking out. He’s a great guy to watch, it’s easy to stay absorbed by and it made me chuckle almost constantly throughout.
on 12 April 2017
This is actually the first time I've seen a Greg Davies stand-up! I've always enjoyed him in his (many) appearances on TV panel shows, but his stand-up is really on another level altogether. I guarantee he'll make you laugh!
on 21 March 2015
Disappointly unfunny. Lost the will to live watching it, turned off half way through, so disappointed.
on 11 January 2014
this product if you find the use of four letter words amusing
product sent to land fill