Format: Baby Product|Change

on 1 May 2013
Arrived promptly as described. V easy to use. Happy with sound and picture quality. only niggle so far is the parent unit does not stand on its own but is designed to hang from something which is not how I would be using it.

now baby is 11 days old I sadly have to change my review. The monitor suddenly stopped functioning today - parent unit won't work so sending it back. also I agree with others who are frustrated at the short battery life when unplugged. Also I find the volume on lowest settling is still 2x louder than I would desire.

So... The product was replaced but has now broken again - Baby now 21 weeks old! And we have hardly used it since it was replaced. I would definitely not recommend this item. Also think twice about buying through Amazon as I'm struggling to get either Motorola or the seller to honour the 12 month warranty - watch this space...
44 comments| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 June 2015
Nice baby monitor. It's not going to be HD quality at this price, but for reassuring glances as a new parent to check on your new baby, it does the job well. As a few others mentioned the battery life isn't great, so I would advise anyone buying this to keep this in mind and to turn down the screen brightness which really makes a difference to the battery. Range is OK its not great but it reaches most parts of our 4 bed house without any issues.
on 17 July 2016
When our baby turned 6 months and started becoming more mobile, we began to notice that she was both crawling around her cot, and that she would wake up without crying in the night.

Having used an audio-only monitor from birth, we decided to invest in a video monitor, so that we could keep an eye on any night-time attempts to pull herself out of the cot, and to check up on her without opening the nursery door to peer in - an activity that we used to do often, but which lately has resulted in waking her up more often than not.

The Motorola does the job nicely.

We have the camera unit mounted on the wall near her crib, making sure to keep the power cable out of her reach.

The parent unit is handily sized, and one battery charge lasts a full day, though we do put it on charge when we go to bed. Over-using the video seems to drain the battery quickly, so we keep it in the default audio-only mode, then use the right had button to switch the video mode on (it is instant) for a few seconds to check if she is awake.

The screen is not modern-smartphone quality, but is plenty bright, and clear enough, and the nightvision camera works well, though of course the image is monochrome, and suffers slightly from ghosting, because of the cheap LCD panel in the parent unit.

The audio is clear, though not as clear the newer BT audio units.

The LED indicators, which are useful if the audio is muted or if you're listening to headphones while the little one sleeps are pitched perfectly in terms of brightness. They're noticeable, but not overly bright, and don't hinder your sleep in a dark room.

Connection-wise, the unit is stable 99% of the time. Every once in a while the video connection drops for a second or two, but it instantly re-acquires and isn't noticeable as a problem.

Note that the main selling points of the MBP26 over the cheaper MBP18 are the two way voice communication this unit has (useful when I can't find the calpol and need to ask the wife where she's hidden it) and the pan and scan functionality. Bear in mind that unlike more expensive models the pan and scan controls don't actually move the camera lens. Essentially the camera works at a resolution higher than the parent unit displays, so when scanning around you're actually just revealing different portions of the image, rather than moving the lens itself.

This means that the operation is silent and doesn't disturb your baby, though it does limit the range of the view compared to pricier models. It's ideal for our placement (about a metre above the cot) as it means we can cover every corner of the cot, something we were unable to do with the fixed viewpoint MBP18.

The parent unit also has a little kickstand that flicks out to stand it up on its own, though I would have prefered the solution BT use, which is for the unit itself to feature a flat bottom so that it can stand up without having to flick out a stand.
on 15 July 2016
The camera constantly emits a high pitched noise
I've followed the advice from Motorola that this could be caused by the parent unit being too close or the volume being up too high but neither of these things help! The camera makes the noose even if the parent unit isn't on so it can't be a feedback issue!
I'm not sure weather the noise is stopping my baby from sleeping or not he has good and bad nights so I can't be sure!

If it wasn't for the noise that may or may not be waking baby..
I would be writing a good review the picture and sound quality is decent for the price point the battery life on the parent unit isn't the best but I've not had problems with it!
on 22 October 2015
Very poor quality especially the video. Surprised to see that this normally retails at. Over £100 as I think £50 is to steep! Sold this item on eBay as founding to be really useless. Would not recommend if buying for the camera.
on 18 July 2016
I am very impressed with this product overall. The audio is clear, and the image quality is spot on for use at the end of the cot. The night vision works really well, and you can see the detail that you need. In the day, the image is far better to be honest, but it's never likely to be used in day light. The audio kicks in almost constantly with the level of background noise in our room, but the volume control and sensitivity can be altered to suit. I love the pan and tilt function, it's so easy to get the baby in the shot with this feature, it save having to mount this in a specific place at a specific angle etc. OK, the complaint many have re: battery life is fully justified. It's not great at all, even with the video off and just audio on. For us, we expected that given the reviews, and it's no issue having it plugged in, it's still mobile enough to have at the end of the sofa or whatever. If we were taking this outside, I think we'd start to tire of the battery life, but for now, it's workable. The range has not been an issue for us up to now either, seemingly no interference, and works on the top floor of a 3 story house (modern home though, no real internal walls to speak of!).
on 2 November 2015
12 month warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Our handset microphone stopped working so we were no longer able to hear our baby if he needed us in the night. Amazon provide a helpline number on their website which is a bogus number and connects through to a poor couple who were having their evening meal!!! They say they've complained to Amazon several times and they've done nothing and get at least 10 calls a day to their number. What a waste of money and now we will look elsewhere to buy something else.
on 2 April 2016
We bought this item using Amazon gift vouchers. We probably wouldn't have chosen such an expensive item if we didn't have vouchers.
A year on, I can happily say that this has been a fantastic purchase. The signal is almost always excellent so you can see and hear what's going on in baby's room. The battery life is excellent - we put baby to bed at 7 and plug it in while we sleep from about 11. It has put our minds at ease when baby is asleep. The picture is pretty clear. It's not HD, but you can see what's going on and can move the picture around if you've got a wriggler. The night vision is good and very handy.
My only criticism is the stand of the camera is a bit big so it will have to be placed securely. It would be nice if you could attach it to the cot fir early months.
on 11 March 2016
We bought this after having only audio monitors with both children but a month in with our second, we decided we needed a video monitor due to cosleeping (all over again lol) was so relieving to be able to see baby in our bed and now he is nearly 8months old and on the move it definitely helps! We only live in a small flat too, but the monitor will go out of range sometimes which is a disappointment as it's supposed to cater for large homes. Ours also did not come with batteries. But oh well. The camera began standing on the (unused) cotbed (also known as the bed guard haha) then we decided to put it on the wall, now we have a larger range we can see. I love that you can see a lot plus able to move the camera angle without touching it! Say if baby rolls away and you need to see, just move the angle using the monitor. So helpful. We are very happy with this monitor! Also we haven't had to use it properly just yet, but the 2way intercom is pretty helpful to talk to other people in the other room without shouting through!
on 8 November 2015
This monitor we bought to be able to watch my son as he sleeps in bed because he suffers bad reflux. The camera and monitor idea is great, you can talk both ways to help comfort the baby if they begin to stir. We found that the picture quality was quite terrible, and so bad I wasnt sure if we perhaps have a faulty set because the promotional video seems to make it out to be crystal clear and perfect and this is not the case with ours. It does the job it is intended for however so I cannot complain there. When our cat was run over we used this to keep an eye on out other cat who became a bit depressed while he slept on the babys bed (without the baby of course) and I must say it was perfect for helping to put my mind at rest. I found that when the cat scratched quickly the camera would jump and freeze as it could not keep up with what was happening. The noise quality is good and you can hear so much coming through so we noticed little coughs and snores. The camera part makes a horrible buzzing noise which irritated the baby and made the cat look around as if he heard a bird or a mouse whimper. We got this on sale so cant complain but I must say I am glad I did not pay full price or I'd be very annoyed