on 14 January 2018
It might not seem to be a promising subject for a book, but this tells the story of Christine, a young woman who is trying to make a difference in the lives of others, her friends and even people who are strangers. She tries unsuccessfully to stop one man from killing himself, and then the following day she meets a man who wants to jump off a bridge. This is the story of the two weeks after that, and Christine's efforts to make that man want to stay alive. It is sweet and uplifting and funny, even though it is set against the pain of divorce and suicide. This is one of Cecelia Ahern's best books and I am now a big fan.
on 14 June 2017
Cute easy read that was predictable, which for me personally was not a negative.

The main character runs a recruitment agency who witnesses someone commit suicide and from that moment onward reevaluates her life choices. My favourite parts of the book are definitely when they involve her immediate family who are quite crass but very funny!

I did enjoy this, it was nice to have an uplifting nice book to read after reading some of my usual thrillers/horrors.

I would recommend this book, especially as a beach/pool read as it's not too heavy going.

Added bonus for me was that it was free!
on 26 April 2017
I gave up! I loved Aherns' first book, but this is awful! So utterly unbelievable, that a suicidal man, would move in with the woman who stopped him jumping - on a promise from her that she would "change his life around" - could see where this was going, it was tosh, and I am not wasting any more time on what will be a predictable ending
on 18 April 2017
I picked this book as it looked fun to read from the excerpt. I found it funny but at the same time thought provoking as it dealt with an issue of suicide and I have been at that point. It is not a self help book, but has made me see life as a 'glass half full' rather than empty. It is a light hearted read, but at the same time shows how one person can make a huge difference by doing a selfless act. Keep smiling to the world, even if your heart is breaking.
on 26 February 2018
I don't read chick lit and romance novels because I can't deal with the horrible predictability of those silly stories. From time to time, though, I'll make an exception for Cecelia Ahern because usually her writing is so good and she doesn't fall into the cliche traps. Sadly, this isn't a great book. If you're looking for a fairly regular romance story then you'll find it here, but she doesn't ever seem to get a good grip on the subject matter. Characters are largely sketched-in cartoons and the premise of the story is that not only can you cure depression in 10 days (and let's be clear here, we're talking depression to the level of committing suicide, not just 'feeling a little down today') but you can truly get over a significant relationship and fall in love with someone else in that time too. It makes a mockery of anyone who'd been depressed or had their heart broken.
on 11 August 2017
Whilst it seems like a basic love story this book is so much more. By unlocking Adam's problems Christine is really uncovering her own issues. There are some laugh out loud moments especially with Christine's dad and sisters who are hilarious and you kind of know what is going to happen in the end it never really detracts from the main storyline. A great read that is funny and rips to shreds the self help books that Christine is so addicted to. Lovely.
on 27 April 2014
Christine Rose, a recruitment consultant with an obsession for self help books is going through a somewhat acrimonious divorce. Her life in tatters and in need of peace, she wanders to an area of the city where she used to experience this, and there finds a man who is about to take his own life. When her attempts to stop him fail, she is understandably devastated. Two weeks later, wandering through the city again, she spots Adam doing exactly the same thing on the Ha'Penny Bridge. Determined that this time she will make a difference, she attempts to talk him down, and this time she manages to succeed. The two strike a deal, whereby Christine has to persuade Adam before his next birthday that life is worth living - what she doesn't realise is that his birthday is in two weeks time.

What follows is a somewhat hilarious caper as the two of them embark on a crusade to it seems at times, mutually heal each other -for it transpires as the story unfolds that Christine has issues of her own, which closely mirror Adam's own life. As they attempt to work through Adam's issues, they gradually become closer, until, well the clue is in the name of the book.

Although this was by my usual standards a somewhat light and fluffy read, it was one that I nevertheless enjoyed. It is good to read the lighter stuff every once in a while, as my reading can get somewhat heavy at times. This was probably not the best book I have read this year, but neither will it be the worst. Mainly because of it's wonderful Irish humour, I would give this 3 stars.
on 25 June 2017
I can't read any more of this. It set off well but deteriorated into a rather cheap, soap opera style. Why is it so difficult for modern writers to write true literature? Perhaps, its because we have all watched too much television and trashy soap operas? There are parts that I found vulgar and offensive.Chick lit. is the kindest description I can muster.
on 14 January 2014
Cecelia Ahern is another author that I always look out for. I have read all of her books, so was very excited to learn about her latest work, How to Fall in Love.

The storyline is really random, I have no idea how she thought of it, although there is a hint that it is based on some truth. The story follows Christine as she talks Adam down from a bridge where he is about to commit suicide. She tells him that she can change and improve his life before his next birthday (2 weeks away), so he decides to give her a chance to help him. We then follow the characters as they try to `fix' things in Adam's life that have got him so upset. Christine has her own issues, she has just left her husband and lives in a tiny apartment with no real idea about her future. The characters end up helping each other and there are few funny moments along the way.

I guess you would say that this is essentially a love story but it seems like so much more than that. This is a story of hope and human kindness and it tells you that people are worth taking a chance on. It's genuine, heart-warming, has a range of great characters and above all is a great read. This demonstrates why Ahern continues to be one of my favourite authors.
on 30 September 2014
I am a big fan of Cecelia Ahern but this isn't her best work really. Having said that, I have still given it 4 stars as it has the basic ingredients of a good story and I did enjoy it. It is a stretch at best to believe that a single woman would take into her home a random stranger that she doesn't know and who she first meets while he is trying to commit suicide. Her efforts to help the man are admirable, I'm not sure I'd have had that much patience to be honest, and I love how each chapter is titled for the name of a self help book. It is pretty obvious early on that the two main characters are meant to be together but I felt that the story was too rushed within the two week time frame that it is set in - it would have been better to have been set over a longer period of time so that you could see how their relationship was slowly developing rather than appearing to be a rebound thing for both of them. I love Cecelia Ahern but both this and 100 Names have been a bit of a let down and have the feel of books that have been written to strict deadline which has meant she hasn't been able to show her true talent.