Platform: Xbox 360|Edition: Standard Edition|Change

VINE VOICEon 7 March 2014
As a South Park fan, this game is exactly what I've been waiting for. It looks and feels EXACTLY like the show, and Parker & Stone have been heavily involved from the get-go, so the writing and voice-acting is very much up to scratch.

You start off by designing your own character, the "new kid", and learning how to battle in typical South Park fashion, with Cartman as your guide. The battle system is straight forward - the game is very much a turn-based RPG, and reminded me of Paper Mario or Costume Quest. It's simple enough, but there's plenty of items to collect, loads of sides-quests and an incredibly detailed town to explore.

The game is incredibly funny, too. South Park has never been just toilet humour. The gross-out, over the top, "shocking" stuff is there, but that's not what makes South Park great. Stick of Truth is overloaded with parody, and I particularly enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek digs at various video-game tropes. In the console version there are certain elements that are censored, but I feel like I might have enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek "censored" screens more than the over-the-top stuff, and certainly don't feel I missed anything important.

If you don't like South Park, you should probably stay away. But if you're a fan, I would urge you to pick this game up, even if you're not normally one for turn-base RPGs.
on 17 March 2014
If you aren't a massive fan of SP then you may not love the game as much as the rest of us do, 'cause it is jam-packed FULL of references to pretty much everything that has ever happened in South Park EVER, which some people may not get, or even notice.
The game is visually amazing, it truly looks and feels just like an episode of South Park, and I still get a little kick out of seeing my character in the cut-scenes standing alongside all the SP boys =]
The open-world game-play works brilliantly, it's easy to move around with quick and smooth loading. Its really cool to see the whole of South Park mapped out for the first time ever, too!
Oh, and as Skyrim is possibly my favourite game on the planet (I know it's Trey's, too), I'll just say that all of the references to it in this game win extra Kudos from me as well.
The only thing I would criticize is that the game feels very short. I finished the main quest and all the side quests within a weekend. I dunno, perhaps that's because I have no life though...still, in comparison to other games it did feel like it was over very quickly.
A WORD OF WARNING - There is a LOT of shock humour and gross-out humour, so you know, definitely steer clear of this game if you are easily offended or have ever been truly offended by an episode of SP. I would even go as far as to say this game contains content a lot worse than I've seen in a lot of episodes of SP hahaha! So yeah, just bear that in mind :)
on 23 March 2014
I remember as a tender teenager getting many hours of enjoyment out of SP's earlier games (South Park, Chef's Luv Shack and South Park Rally) although these are still good the fact they run on a PS1 makes them rather dated now. Needless to say I was very excited to hear that Trey and Matt were (finally) giving us another game and rushed to order it. I ended up ordering from Base.com as by the time I put the order their was such high demand on Amazon they could not give me a delivery date, unwilling to wait I confess to ordering from a site that could guarantee delivery as close to the release date as possible. I was certainly not disappointed. I usually have games sat on my shelf for months, playing for a while, shelving for a while, before continuing, however within 2-3 weeks of getting this game I have completed all of the Main Quest and a good portion of the side-quests. It is a very engaging and entertaining game and as a lifelong SP fan something that I thoroughly enjoyed playing. If you like SP as much as myself I would 100% recommend getting this product (regardless of censorship).

With regard to the censored scenes I was initially taken aback when they first occurred. However, I researched a bit online, watched the missing scenes on YouTube and it failed to bother me after that. Indeed, when I went to the abortion clinic and took my character into the doctors I knew the censored screen was coming so when it did I just laughed. It was very funny the way Trey and Matt had inserted cut screens with the backdrop of the EU flag and a description of the scene/mini-game omitted.

I do fully agree with other reviewers that I failed to understand what the problem was as the EU/UK version allows you to explore inside Mr Slave's butt and digestive system in all it's putrifying glory which was a tad more extreme that a bit of anal probing, methinks!? Also although the abortion clinic scenes were censored EU/UK players could still perform an abortion (yep, you'll need to see this to believe it!) to disarm the 'snuke', so it is hard to understand what the hue and cry was about!? I shan't go any further on this line though for risk of spoiling the game for those who have yet to complete it. All adds to the humour of double standards and state-run media standards agencies and the influence they have on the likes of Ubisoft and PEGI.

I went for the xBox version primarily because a) I have an xBox and b) although I could have bought the PC version I am not keen on the controls for RPG games in a PC format, preferring the control pad for the xBox. No other reason for selecting this product, and consequently I am happy to put up with the censorship in this release as it was in the medium most suitable to me. If censorship is something that really grinds your gears however, and the controllers aren't a major issue for you I would recommend the PC version. But, like I said nothing beats for me the console experience of RPG games, and after seeing the censored scenes/mini-games on YouTube I am satisfied that I am not missing much. In conclusion it is the most fun I have had with a computer game for a long time, a fully immersive and entertaining romp through South Park.

NB As with other reviewers I need to stress if you are easily offended I do not recommend this game as it is, in true SP fashion, very crude and at times incendiary. If you are not easily offended and want to give SP a try I suggest watching an episode or two first (they play very often on Comedy Central in the UK, and if you don't have access you can download episodes for as little as £1.89 on iTunes) to see if you like it. Owing to the topical nature of SP you do not have to watch in any particular order so pick an episode to try, if you enjoy then you may love this game, if you don't then you won't. SP is like Marmite, you either love it, or you hate it. This game is very much a spin-off of the series and is chock-full of references and is, as has been commented before, a more immersive and extreme version of an episode.
on 31 March 2014
SP - TSOT is a great game, as you would expect having had direct input from Stone and Parker. My only complaints? Considering you can walk from one end of Los Santos to another without a loading screen, here you cannot even walk one block without one. That is the only thing stopping it feeling like a real episode of SP. Then there is the matter of the loading/saving of games. When you save a game, it just makes a copy of the last auto save, which may have been a battle or two ago. I guess they were being "ironic" with this. Still very recommended though.
on 5 October 2015
Cool game - but it failed miserably in that the version I was sent through Amazon came all the way from Australia. Item has been recieved - however - this version is the Australian version and it shoud have been noted in the advertising that sad and pathetic nanny state colonial censorship for overly sensitive parochial crybabies was enforced on this version. Not amused. So this is more a testement to a great game bollixed up by an administration that should be more concerned with rubbish collection than controlling what people think.

The irony in the face of the Southpark genre is likely lost on Canberra.
on 11 April 2016
With this game coming out on Xbox Backwards Compatible, I thought it was a good time to give it a try, and its brilliant. Its a well balanced combination of a good old RPG and the outrageous humour of South Park. Very enjoyable game that will make you laugh a lot!
on 13 March 2014
Anyone that is a fan of South Park will so love this game!!!
I only got this game today and never got off it all day. The game is like World of Warcraft, Load of the rings and Monkey Island all in one South Park crazy layout of a game. You walk around South Park dress like a Load of the rings player, You get to go inside homes to find items. Fight with people to unlock items and keys. You get to buy new weapons and make fiends in the game that will help you out on bigger tasks. This game is so funny and fun to play on!!!

This as got to be one of the best South Park games i have ever played on. I recommend this game to any South Park fan!!!
on 26 March 2014
This game is truly epic. The quotes, memories. The best part is waking around South Park. The fact that some scene have been pulled is a little sad but that being said it seems strange others were left in
on 1 April 2014
If you love South Park, you WILL love this game. This is easily the funniest game I've played since Conkers Bad Fur Day (a classic) and to be honest, I think this game tops that for both humour and game play.

There are endless references to the series, every character you could think of and every mission will make you smile, even the items you receive both from battle and searching areas of the map have hilarious references to the series or are just damn right dirty!

I also love the game-play, I loved my retro rpg games with turn based combat (final fantasy primarily) and this brings back that great retro gaming feel!

All in all, if you love South Park (even if you've not seen much) you will love this game, don't even hesitate - just buy it!
on 29 July 2014
What can I say, if you are looking at this game then you must love South Park, then all I can say is buy this now, and why haven't you already. I have already played this game twice, and loved every second of it.

Genius just isnt quite enough, not only are the references to your favourite episodes of south park going to keep you laughing constantly, the concept is perfect and the story line and game play make it always fun and so easy to get into. Love the references to other games and every subtle nod and joke these guys have found has combined to make what I think is one of my favourite games, just because I know it will never stop entertaining me.