Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I finally had to admit defeat. In spite of spending a lot of time on the phone to a very helpful support person from Logitech (available Mon-Fri in working hours only), and despite un-plugging or disabling any hardware or software that may conflict with it, I was unable to get the keyboard to be recognised by my Windows 7 64-bit gaming PC. Very disappointed, though from what I've read elsewhere, I'm not the only person to have experienced this. In more than 20 years of PC gaming, this is the first time I've been unable to get a peripheral to work at all. I already have a Logitech G600 mouse which works fine using the same driver software, but the keyboard was a no-go.

It looks nice, and it has a quality feel (as you'd expect for this money) but beyond that I fear I'm unable to report.

My advice is, when you receive your keyboard - try it straight away, and if it doesn't install and work easily, send it back and get a refund as soon as possible. Of course there's no guarantee that it'll also work when you upgrade your motherboard or OS, so even if it does work initially, you may run into trouble later.

Sorry Logitech, your support team may be helpful (when they're there - generally not when you're gaming) but this keyboard seems to be a little too clever for its own good.

Unable to recommend.

=======
Updated Apr-2014

I had to re-install Windows 7 on my PC, and I was pleased to discover that I was able to get the newly installed machine to recognise the keyboard. I had a good couple of weeks use of it before suddenly it gave up connecting to the PC and began endlessly rebooting itself (the keyboard, not the PC). After endless messing around, I gave up again, and I've completely had it with this thing.
77 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
First impressions and build:
============================
The G19s shares a form factor with the other keyboards in the G series - traditional QWERTY, F keys, and numpad banks, with the function keys shoved to the left of the keyboard and the controls for the screen, memory profiles, and volume up top. It's made of a variety of heavy plastics: the keys and handrest are a non-slick matte material, while the trim around the edges is a glossy dark blue. The thing feels solid and there's little flex, as you'd expect and hope for at this price range.

The G19s embraces the 'gamer' aesthetic fully, with every key backlit with a completely customisable colour. The LEDs themselves aren't terribly bright, although they're definitely bright enough to be noticeable in a well-lit room and readable in the dark The illumination is slightly uneven on some keys, such as the capslock key. The transparent cutouts for the lettering on the keys is in a futuristic typeface, very much in keeping with the general style of the package. I normally go for more sedate designs - my previous keyboards were a Unicomp mechanical keyboard and a Logitech Wireless Solar, but the G19s is just tasteful enough for me to use it without feeling like a late 90s cyberpunk throwback. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that, of course.

Looking past the illuminated keys and ballsy design, there's another unusual feature: the screen. It's a tiny 4:3 LED display attached to the top of the keyboard. It can pivot to a limited degree, allowing for slumpers and people with decent posture alike to choose a viewing angle to suit them.

Typing and gaming experience:
The first thing to note is that this, like most keyboards made in the last decade, is a membrane switch. You push the key down, its peg pushes a resistant dome, and when the key bottoms out, you have a keypress. Until I discovered the scissor switches on laptops and mechanical switches on keyboards like the IBM Model M and an increasing number of gaming keyboards, I'd only ever used membrane switches. Nowadays, I prefer to type using the other styles because they feel less 'mushy' and more responsive. The typing action on the G19s is fine - in fact, I think make fewer mistakes using it because I'm slightly more considered in my keypresses than with the scissor switches on my K750s, but it still doesn't feel quite as good. However, for its primary purpose: gaming, I actually prefer the membrane keys to mechanical or scissor. They lack the binary sharpness of mechanical keys (as well as much of the noise!) and have more solidity than the scissor switches. I've got back into Battlefield Bad Company 2 recently and I feel very comfortable using the G19s for it.

Software:
=========
Like most hardware nowadays, the G19s doesn't come with an installation CD. Instead, you're directed to a website where you can download the 50mb suite. This is potentially a problem if you somehow lack reliable internet access, but I understand why companies are moving away from physical media. Setup took less than 5 minutes - I installed the software, plugged the keyboard in, and I was ready to go. The software allows you to set up three main profiles which can be accessed with the physical keys in the top left of the board. These profiles govern what the 12 function keys do, the applets for the screen, and the illumination settings. You can also have the software scan your system for games with existing profiles, allowing you to populate the function keys with macros that can be used in game.

The Screen:
===========
So, here we come to one of the major selling points of the G19s - the screen. By default it comes with applets such as an RSS reader, youtube viewer, performance tracker for your system, an analogue clock display, and other media-viewing services. Personally, I'm always after more screen real estate, so if I'm able to offload an RSS reader to the G19s screen so I don't have to have it cluttering my main screens, that's a bonus. The youtube viewer has the ability to playback copied video URLs automatically, which might be useful if you're chatting with someone in game and don't want to alt-tab. There are also certain games that are able to output information to the G19 - ammunition and scores, for instance. The concept is slightly strange, since you have to take your eyes away from your main screen - and the game - in order to peer at the G19. It's more convenient than alt-tabbing, certainly, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make the most of it. Hardcore gamers who are constantly communicating and possibly streaming a feed of their webcam might find it useful as an alternative to switching between windows, however, so I won't entirely dismiss the utility of the screen. I've yet to find any third party applets for it, so I'm looking forward to seeing what people are able to come up with.
Overall:
========
I feel that the people who will want the G19s already know why the want it. It's a gamer's keyboard and it has a plethora of game specific features to back that up. I could see the function keys being useful in other fields, such as computer aided design or programming, though. Yes, it lacks en vogue mechanical key switches, yet I don't feel those switches add much to gaming, even if they are better for typing. There aren't many devices like this and it caters for a specific user. If you think you can make the most of the screen and the software, then the G19s may well be for you. Otherwise, there isn't much to differentiate it from the scheaper, screenless keyboards in the G-series range.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 June 2016
I upgraded from the Logitech G11 - I got 8 years out of it. I chose to go with this board because I know that I will get years of use out of it. I am glad I did. the keys are not super silent but they are not to terrible. I love the soft touch feel of the hand rest and the keys. The ability to colour code my profiles is awesome and there are many colours to choose from for you keys. The lighting isn't daunting either. Also you have the option to turn off the lights and you are still able to see the keys lettering as they are nicely contrasted. (Some keyboards that are backlit aren't as nice). Now the monitor is great. I get feeds from my games, I as well can get rss feeds, see my computers performance, and have the time if I want along with other features right at my fingertips and not having to come out of a movie or game to see. It as well connects with my logitech webcam and will put the picture of your webcam up in the display. great for if your video call gives you the option to close your window out so you don't have to see yourself when talking to your friends and family. (the monitor can be turned off) I like the dedicated gaming and normal windows use button. It locks the windows key out so that you don't click it and come out of your game in play. Over all I rate this keyboard at a solid 10.. 5 stars is just not enough. All the controls work with the media. it is a fairly smart keyboard. It is nice and tidy as well not as cumbersome as my old G11. (I can fit my mouse and keyboard on the tray together now)

In the photos I tried to show some colour samples, as well as with the back light off. the monitor and then the whole board as well. sorry they are not the best of quality photos. but you get the jest of it.

I would recommend this board and seller to anyone that is looking for a good solid gaming board. No I do not work for amazon, I do not work for this seller, and I do not have any ties with logitech. I have not been given this as a promotion to review it.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So that's a novelty. Without the power connected the keyboard functions as a standard USB keyboard, but where's the fun in that? The plug is one of those that have the cable going in at the top where the Earth pin is. It's also a longish plug - basically what I'm saying is that if you use a 10 or 12 gang powerstrip, with two rows of sockets, this plug will take up two spaces across the width of the strip. That's really sloppy design. Who doesn't use an extension powerstrip with their PC? The lead coming out of the keyboard is doubled-up for USB and power making it heavier than a standard USB cable and somewhat unwieldy, though this is really just a niggle.

The keyboard is entirely plastic, with membrane-switched keys. I have had one of the original Logitech G15 keyboards for an age and while it uses the same non-mechanical-switched keys, the housing feels heavier and sturdier in use. The old G15 had 18 programmable "G" keys, while the revised G15 only had 12, as does the G19s. There are three "shift" buttons to triple up the number of functions that you can have for a total of 36. This seems like plenty. The old reliable "MR" button lets you assign a macros to any key on the fly and is a godsend for games like "Dwarf Fortress" which use a lot of keyboard short-cuts, or games with "Quick Time Events" - this functionality turned the "Walking Dead" game from a chore into a real pleasure by taking out the button-mashing -, but it's also incredibly handy if you're doing a bunch of document editing or spreadsheet work.

I remember mechanical-switch keyboards from back in the day when there wasn't anything else available. Honestly I have no problem with modern membrane keyboards and find them perfectly comfortable to use for extended periods of time. BUT it starts to become difficult to see where the costs are coming from with this keyboard to justify the price. Mechanical switch keyboards can be had for about forty notes. The wrist rest on the G19s is treated with nano-particles so it doesn't get sticky with sweat, and the keys are UV resistant and laser cut so they'll resist fading.
You can select the key backlight colour from an almost limitless palette along with the brightness (though adjusting the backlight brightness also adjusts the brightness on the mini-screen - I can see reasons for and against this but individual control with the option of pairing would have made more sense). All of this is nice, but not essential, whereas the mechanical switched keys would have made a real difference to many discerning buyers.

(edit: quick point about the font on the keyboard - it's weird and inconsistent, eg the $ symbol and the $ dollar symbol are stylistically different, presumably because the sterling symbol was an afterthought. The & and @ keys are barely recognisable if you weren't expecting them.)

On the G15 the "escape" key sat between the bank of programmable "G" keys and the F1 key with about 20mm clearance either side. The G19s is a more compact keyboard and the function keys are shifted to the left so the "escape" key isn't quite so isolated and I have been continually slapping the F1 key when I meant to hit "escape" - this is probably just a learning thing and I just need to get used to it. The "Caps Lock" key on my keyboard is only partially backlit - not sure if this is a fault peculiar to my keyboard or a general thing. It's not really noticeable until you notice it, and then you'll see it all the time and be sad. That might just be me.

There are two "high speed" USB 2.0 slots on the rear of the keyboard. Given that this is already a powered keyboard and it's 2013, there doesn't seem to be any good reason why they shouldn't have specified USB 3.0 - calling USB 2.0 "high speed" is a joke these days.

So that screen then. Harping back to the G15 I have - it had a crude monochrome LCD screen that was functional at best. After the initial novelty wore off after a couple of days I folded the screen back and have never looked at it since. Is the G19s screen any more useful? Presumably that's why you're going to pay a premium price and the reason it needs a power supply in the first place.

The screen comes with various apps, and best get to like them because there's very little else available. You have a clock app where you can customise the clock face, and there's a stopwatch and countdown app but it doesn't use the same clock face from the regular clock app and there are no customisation options available. Why not? And why, oh why, isn't there an alarm app? The one thing that I can see being really useful hasn't been included. Imagine if you were playing League and the keyboard suddenly flashed red and the screen told you that it was time to switch the oven off - how handy would that be? Well, dream on, because you can't do it.

There IS a Youtube app but selecting the video you want to see is pretty limited. You can select from a list of the most popular, most recent etc. videos but without keyboard entry into the app there's no way to do a search. Speaking of the selection - the Apps and options are selected with a fourway keypad to the left of the screen, allowing directional control with an OK button in the centre. This is cheap as dirt. Keypresses are missed and the housing flexes as you press the keys. It's just nasty on a keyboard coming in at this pricepoint.

The movie playing App is linked to Windows Media Player - fair enough, but if you've become accustomed to using XBMC or VLC player with their built-in codecs then you're in for a shock as WMP stumbles because of limited innate codec support. If you patch up your WMP installation with, say, the K-Lite pack it'll play just about anything and looks pretty good while doing it, but I've had issues with codec packs in the past so I'd hope to avoid that. Having said that, what else are they supposed to do? everyone has WMP installed and some people even use it by preference. Let's call this an observation, rather than a criticism.

I have maybe fifty games installed, though a lot of those are niche, indie games, but there are quite a few AAA games as well. The profiling software picked up on three - Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur and Serious Sam 3. With Serious Sam 3 the screen will show the name of the map, number of enemies killed and number of secrets discovered etc. Useful stuff but far from essential. The bright, crisp 320x240 screen is definitely more useful than the old clunky LCD screen on the G15 but I don't know that I'll ever be relying on it. I'll be interested to see if other games do a bit more with it. The big downside is that you need to look away from the main screen, down to the mini-screen so whatever is down there had better be worth taking your attention from the game. Certainly in Serious Sam 3 that is not a good idea. (Serious Sam 3 mini-review - bonkers fun. Don't go in with high expectations and bring a sense of humour.)

So I've spent a large chunk of the review slamming this keyboard, and I think I've made the point that for a premium product it doesn't feel like you're getting your money's worth. The screen is still of limited actual use. But, I won't be going back to the G15 any time soon. Actually typing on the G19s feels pretty good and I'm loving the moisture-repelling wrist rest. Honestly, I turn off the screen and backlight most of the time.

Taking into account the price I'd give it 3.5 out of 5, though if you absolutely have to have cat videos from Youtube streaming at all times, or if money is no object then make that 4 out of 5.
on 6 July 2016
My G19 suffered with a torn membrane on the space bar making it terrible to use. Logitech had pretty much discontinued all of the G19 series including the "s" model, and although not a mechanical keyboard, I really do find the LCD useful on both the G19 and G19s.

I had originally thought that the G19s would be more annoying with it's blue accents (which look far brighter on the photos that they are on the keyboard itself), but fortunately they are not as "in your face" as the photos make them out to be.

They keyboard itself is nice to type on, although the space bar on this one is a little "squeeky" for some reason. One other change between this and the G19 was the use of all capitals on the keys as well us using a different font face over the G19. This took a little getting used to as it looks odd and actually made finding some of the keys more complicated (even though I am used to the UK keyboard layout and can usually touchtype without having to refer to the keyboard itself).

The G19s (like the G19) uses a membrane rather than a mechanical switch. The differences between this and the G19 are minimal and mostly cosmetic. This keyboard therefore is powered like the G19, having a separate power supply for lighting the keys, powering the LCD and the powering the 2 port USB-2 hub it contains. It still uses the Logitech Gaming Software to configure the profiles you can store using the M1-M3 buttons, with each profile being able to have the 12 macro "G" keys configured separately as well as its own keyboard colour setting.

They backlit keys are RGB coloured, but you cannot configure zones as the whole keyboard will take on the colour you select. While you have an RGB selector for the key lighting, the LEDs are not able to reproduce all possible shades you see on screen, so you may find the keys being an approximation of the on screen colour setting.

I am hoping that by the time this one starts to wear out, Logitech will have made a mechanical equivalent of the G19/G19s using their Romer-G keycaps and including the LCD rather than relying on the Arx control app for mobile/tablets which doesn't allow the same flexibility as the various G15/19 apps did.
on 17 July 2014
Very expensive for what it is, but it does what I want and it's very functional. LIKES, scroll wheel for player volume,illuminated keyboard, feel of keys, the coating which stops greases building up on the keys and main body-it keeps it looking clean after a lot of use. DISLIKES, the whole point of this keyboard is the colour LCD display which runs apps to show you clock, CPU usage etc. I was really disappointed at the lack of apps. I couldn't find any that did what I wanted, so, if you are entranced by the idea of the screen, check out if any apps that do what you want are available.
on 18 January 2014
I should have read all the reviews first as I didn't know it had to be plugged in luckily I have one spare socket next to my pc that I have had to use to plug this keyboard into. Never really thought you would have such a powerful keyboard that would need plugging in as well as a usb connection.

Excellent keyboard upgraded from G15 that I have had for years, have tried others I haven't found anything to compare to Logitech. This keyboard was a little expensive it was around £145.00 but I'm happy with it.

I can view my Teamspeak3 I usually use my second screen but now I can use the keyboard.
on 19 February 2015
I generally love Logitech keyboards and Mouse but I feel they are not breaking the mould on this one as they should be. Still, great to use and responsive. I would still rather own Logitech than any other brand when it comes to PC peripherals.
on 1 September 2014
My own experience with the G19 and Logitechs support for it made me drop Logitech products entirely in the future, and that despite having bought several mice and keyboards from them in the past.

To put it short: The keyboard have a production flaw with the display screen (the entire reason I got the keyboard). Do a google on G10 screen flaw and you'll find out what my issue was as I was obviously not the only one with this issue. What's worse, is that Logitechs support vehemently denies this issue even exists, despite the plethora of documentation on the net about it.

I lost my trust in Logitech after this keyboard and cannot in good conscience recommend the product to anyone. My family, whom I am acting as advisor for in anything regarding computers, I've likewise recommended to stay clear of Logitech products after they clearly took the cheap option just to deliver a flawed product to the consumer.
on 23 April 2015
I've been using this keyboard a long time now even the older version and only had one problem with the second one I bought (this is the third) what happened is the 2 button broke I guess the rubber dome was faulty but Logitech replaced it right away with a brand new keyboard in the box, just feels great and I highly recommend it!