on 26 September 2014
A great piece of equipment. Simple to set up and works well connected to my projector/ xbox and wii. The Internet aware features are excellent and the sound quality is immense. The speaker cables are a little on the short side, either that or I have a large room ;)

The surround is quite something and adds real dimension to film watching. No more shall I suffer the sound of slurping coke , spilling of popcorn or the smell of cinema hot dogs and nachos.

It's a Sony so the build is as you'd expect. The packaging is great but be warned , it's quite a heavy box and of substantial size. Not heavy but awkward to carry if youre on your own. That said it was worth every effort to get the item out of my car.

Buy it now
on 20 November 2014
I bought this to replace my existing DVD player which had stopped working, and I am very pleased with the sound quality. Fairly easy to set up, dead easy to connect to the wireless router, and the online content is great. One thing I was annoyed about however, was the description "tall rear speakers". This is incorrect!! The tall speakers go at the front, they are the front stereo pair, and they cannot be swopped to the rear, as the speakers are different from the rear surround pair. This was annoying, because the shape of my room doesn't suit the tall speakers at the front, and they are quite big and noticeable! Just a warning to others, ignore the description, its wrong, it should say, " tall front speakers"!
on 15 May 2014
Outstanding piece of kit, the music clarity through Bluetooth is superb, the sub produces plenty of bass, the on screen menu's are intuitive to use, the remote control is well designed. Well done Sony.
on 21 December 2013
I managed to buy this on Black Friday and gosh how pleased I am with it! This is a superb quality home cinema with all bells and whistles one may wish for. From design to sound quality, from wifi, DNLA and Bluetooth connectivity to the android app compatibility this home cinema is a killer! I have it connected to TV and sky and sound on DTS Dolby Neo 6 now everything sounds brilliantly.

Watching anything off disks, youtube, Lovefilm, home server, etc is a totally different experience altogether now.

Highly recommended!
on 6 April 2016
Tall speakers MUST go at the front! Not only are they labelled as front l and front r, they are also color coded that way, and the tall speakers have much much shorter cables which DO NOT reach around my small living room so definitely will not reach around yours. Keep in mind the small speakers will need a stand or to be wall mounted behind you.
on 3 May 2016
The sound is miles better than my old Sony DVD surround sound system. Not because it's Blu-Ray, but I mean the DVD's also sound better. I'm pretty sure of it. The sound quality is superb and you get nice features like YouTube and such. One neat feature, is that I can listen to the TV via the surround sound without an optical cable! It seems to travel via the HDMI! Seeming as this system doesn't have an HDMI input, I'm not sure how that works, but I'm not complaining! For the price, you're getting a good set-up.

A few cons though. 1, the wires are short, really short! About 2 metres for the front sides, about the same for the centre, and 4 metres for the rear. Except for the front and rear right speaker which was the only ones that were long enough, I had to cut the front/rear left and centre speakers and get cable from Maplins to make it longer! Sony are under the impression that your surround system is going to be place by your TV in the centre of the room. While my TV is, my surround sound (and PS3 and Sky, etc) are to the right on shelfs all nicely tucked). It's only an extra metre away, but because of this, I needed to cut wires. My lounge is only 4x5metres anyway so it's not like my lounge is huge!

2) When you turn it off by the wall, when you later turn it back on again, if you ever want to use YouTube, it has to gather all the internet requirements again, which can take up to 3 minutes. Doesn't sound long, but every time I turn it off by the wall! It's fine if you leave it on standby, but my TV (which is also Sony) doesn't do this. It remembers everything, even when I turn it off by the wall, so why can't the surround system?

3) Lastly, just a nitpick, but I could have sworn this said it had an 3.5mm input jack, but it doesn't seem to be the case. No biggie, but just means stuff like my old consoles (Mega Drive) I cannot listen through the surround sound anymore).

For the price, I can't argue too much with the cons, hence 4 stars. I would have actually given it 3.5 stars, but that's not possible.
on 27 December 2013
EXCELLENT...but make sure you buy 1.4 version of hdmi cable. too many features...need to learn still....it might not fit in your car if you are collecting. you will love it.
on 4 January 2016
Suitably impressed with the purchase of this for a late "self" xmas prezzie, have been using a sony davs setup for dvd over a number of years and thought it was time for an upgrade, and boy what an upgrade even my old dvd's are looking like new purchases its like a free extra. The reason for the 4 stars and not a 5 is the sound lvls it says a 1000watts but sadly its rms and probably close to 25 in real terms and seems quieter than my old setup, still its not a bad sound overall in fact it makes concert films especially a couple of the bd ones seem like I'm actually in the front row. I read up a bit beforehand and was a bit worried about cable lengths even though my room is I guess small compared to most I tend to put the cables thru a scenic route to the back of the unit and had to extend the satellite speakers last time round but not with this there was more than enough. Now looking forwards to getting a few films to watch and hopefully start yet another collection ......
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 July 2016
Arrived with a massive dent in on the blu ray player... Great punchy bass, front spears sound great, rear speakers sound a little quiet. Good inexpensive home cinema system. Turns on with TV which is good but maybe a bit slow at starting up. Wires aren't really long enough so be careful as you cannot change the speaker wire.
on 21 April 2016
We had to replace our Samsung System and thought we would buy Sony as our new TV is s Sony. Having installed these before, the installation was simple enough. I suppose the only strange thing here is that the 2 rear speakers are the small ones... which aesthetically seems a little odd. Having had a 1000 W system before, i do think this one is not as strong, however the sound is crisper so makes up for it.

Please note that this system does not have an Ipod Dock as detailed when I bought it, however Amazon were quick to compensate me for the error and I bought a bluetooth transmitter for Ipod Classic and this works perfectly.

Another point.... and not technically sure why, but I had an optical lead from the Tevo Box to the system but this caused problems when I switched to Now TV on HDMI 4 input..... however I removed the optical and it all works fine.

All in all I am very happy with the system and also Amazon service